View Full Version : Block Island Recommendations

Moses
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Looking for some information and am hoping you folks can provide it. I'll be spending a week on BI in July for a family vacation. I want to bring my boat over and dock at one of the local marinas (Champlins, Boat Basin, Paynes, other).

Since I'll be using the boat for fishing, I'm leaning towards "docking" vs "mooring" for off hrs access. And of course looking for a respectable, safe place since I have an open center console.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Mr. Sandman
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Moses,

I take my boat over every year in July for 4-7 nights. I have stayed at most of the places one can dock a boat. Generally when I go I am not doing any hard core fishing, more of a island getaway with wife and sometimes a kid or two. The last few years I stayed Champlins because my wife likes it but it is mainly a bigger boat operation with full service. It is very nice, they cater to your every whim but it is the most expensive. They have a pool and bars and outdoor music in the PM which is cool. I love hanging out at the pool watching a few RI bikini clad cougars get shot down and dance to the live tunes. But that is me. ;) You can get a cab or take a bike or walk into town.
I have also stayed at Paynes and the Boat Basin. They are less expensive and also a lot of fun. You have the Oar restaurant right at the top of the dock as well as other shops just up the street.

I don't think you can go wrong no matter where you go but if you don't require the full service treatment of a wannabe-resort like Champlins I would go to the Boat Basin or Paynes. Check their websites, a lot more details there.

Moses
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks Sandman. I already have a home booked on the southwestern portion of the island, just back from Dories Cove. Will definitely research Boat Basin and Paynes more closely.

My boat is 22'5' so full service amenities not required, just a safe place to dock with easy access 24x7.

MakoMike
02-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Most of the transient places are on a mooring, be sure you ask and then ask again if you will be on a dock.

KB&J SIDEACTION
02-06-2013, 08:44 PM
That time of the year is tough, paines especially packs boats in and you could find yourself 3 deep. You may be able to reserve a spot on the back dock where you can get in and out but the tide gets wicked low back there. If you can land one the town mooring balls may be the way to go and just take the water taxi out and back. July is awfull busy over there better try and book something now and make sure they know you want to be able to get in and out as you please

fish4striper
02-07-2013, 08:49 AM
If you don't want 4-5 star accommodations, you could stay at The maples. Motel rooms are dated but very clean. Tackle/baitshop right there. We stayed there with our boat. He didn't charge any extra to dock your boat. This was a few years ago.