View Full Version : Lure Eyes

N.ShoreFisher
02-06-2013, 11:01 AM
So, I love to get way ahead of myself and look at all the plug stuff out there and had a question. I've seen a lot of eyes for lures out there, some in inches, some in millimeters.....so my question(s) is this: What are the more common sizes for most lures, and who has the biggest selection. I've been on the usual sites like Salty's and Mudhole, but are there other places I should be looking? I also know that eye size and choice is VERY highly subjective, but I'm sure there are some standards that most people would agree on. Thanks!

chefchris401
02-06-2013, 11:19 AM
I like the retro eyes from some plugs and the doll eyes like what beach master uses on others.

Cape cod tackle has a good selection

Lisa and Ed's, online probably has the biggest and most options.

I use some real glass taxidermy eyes that I get from wood chip shop online, not cheap but amazing. Last set i bought was 16 bucks, but those will go on a special plug.

3/8 or 9mm is the size I use the most, then some 1/2" on bigger stuff.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JMAC_kerel
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
3/8 or 9mm is the size I use the most, then some 1/2" on bigger stuff.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I use these 2 size eyes myself most often but I do have some smaller sets for real small plugs. Its all just personal preference. Now that I think of it, half of my better catches last year were on 'blind' plugs.

smac
02-07-2013, 08:37 PM
I use these 2 size eyes myself most often but I do have some smaller sets for real small plugs. Its all just personal preference. Now that I think of it, half of my better catches last year were on 'blind' plugs.

Same here, blind wood was king last season.

seabuggy
02-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Before I started making my own plugs, I added eyes to many of the store bought plugs I had. This seemed to improve my hookups. When I added the eyes, I E-Tecked and sometimes added glitter. The bigger the plug. the bigger the eye. I have used up to 1/2" but mostly 3/8". This was so successful, I went into making my own. It is cheaper because when one works, you can make as many different colors that you can imagine.