View Full Version : multiple epoxy coat questions

chefchris401
02-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm doing some natural plugs and the etex is soaking right in which is fine and will need a second coat.

whats the preferred way to do a second coat?

wait 12 hours and reapply?

light sand and wipe down with alcohol if its after 24 hours?

been finding a lot of different info and wanted to get the opinions of builders here.

Thanks-
Chef

iamskippy
02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
From what i have found, if you are using a spinner and your temps are around 90 you can re apply after 5-6 hours for the second coat. this has been a proven method for me. If you are not using heat and a spinner let set up for 72 hrs and scuff with 1200 grit and re apply.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

eskimo
02-13-2013, 11:55 PM
I don't think it needs a light sand as much as it just needs to be scuffed. Most important is making sure the plug is wiped down with either denatured alcohol or mineral spirits before the second coat.

I'm bad with time so I just give everything more then enough.

Fishoholic
02-14-2013, 03:37 AM
I've never used etex, but with system three, I wait for full cure, lightly sand with 320 and wipe with denatured alcohol. I know you can recoat without sanding or wiping down if still in the "soft set tack free stage". I always like sanding for a better finish though.

pbadad
02-14-2013, 07:21 AM
chris thats all good advice. Keep in mind the e-tex is similar to rod epoxy. When you recoat w/in 24 hrs you will get a chemically activated bond. As the epoxy cures hard ( fingernail test) scuffing , cleaning is the best procedure to a greta bond. Same when I recoat an old rod or when I don't get a chance to recoat a new build in 24 hrs I lightly scuff.

ThrowingTimber
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Using a sanding sealer will also help the epoxy not soak in as much on your next batch Chef.

But yeah light scuff, wipe with denatured leave no lint, hit it again.

ProfessorM
02-14-2013, 03:45 PM
I re coat with sys 3 and I wait till next day scotch brite then rubbing alcohol wipe down and never a problem. I pretty much do 2 coats on everything I make as I find sys 3 luvs to cover itself but sometimes leaves a less than desirable result over my paint so the second coat always fixes any problems and also gives the plug longer wear life. Be careful with the scratching and also the wipe down on sharp edges as it will take off the paint and piss you off.

Fishoholic
02-14-2013, 04:01 PM
I re coat with sys 3 and I wait till next day scotch brite then rubbing alcohol wipe down and never a problem. I pretty much do 2 coats on everything I make as I find sys 3 luvs to cover itself but sometimes leaves a less than desirable result over my paint so the second coat always fixes any problems and also gives the plug longer wear life. Be careful with the scratching and also the wipe down on sharp edges as it will take off the paint and piss you off.

yellow and metallics :wall: so frustrating! Do you use the accelerator?

ProfessorM
02-14-2013, 08:12 PM
No clear coat as is. I am so used to using this product, all I have ever used, and have no problem doing 2 coats and luv the wear aspect and like I said the 2nd coat cures all problems. I do wish it liked going over all paints like it does itself but as long as you know, no problem. Some don't like 2 coats but for the amount of plugs I make nowadays it works. I will continue to use it till I run out then assess the options.