View Full Version : Fiber star composite rod

Josh7
02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Has any one used or have a fiber star composite 11' rod? im debating whether or not to get one. I mainly fish the surf, cape cod canal, beaches etc. and am wondering if it is a good pole for those uses. any info would be greatly appreciated.

numbskull
02-15-2013, 06:49 PM
I have the 1266 blank and have test cast it but not yet built it.

It is 10' 6" rated for 3/4-4. It seemed best for 1.5-3 oz. Lighter would be fine, I suspect 4 would be pushing it. I like the action of the rod. It is what you might call a progressive moderate action....somewhere between a C curve rod like a GSB/KF/or CTS VT, and a J curve rod like a CTS S series. The tip is softer than the midshaft, but the entire rod is a medium modulus (they make this rod in high modulus as well). The result is that when throwing in its lighter range, the rod acts like a fast action stick and as you get near the upper range it slows down and casts more like a slower action rod. It has decent midshaft strength so it should handle fish well. It is light, 6.6oz, which puts it right there with the CTS stuff, but the CTS rods are thinner and probably unload a bit faster (they are higher modulus). The soft tip and moderate modulus makes the rod cast very smoothly, it throws metal lips great and probably would excel with eels. There is nothing wimpish about the rod, but for the canal I suspect the 1267 or 1327 would be better (but heavier by about 1.5-2oz.....still about what a Century weighs). When I cast this FSC 1266 alongside a GSB1201m, I decided not to build the GSB since it seemed a dull sister to the GSB1321M I already have built. The FSC is much lighter and nicer casting than the GSB1201M with a little less upper range that is OK by me.

I don't know anything about the other FSC blanks, but if the action is similar they likely have a lot going for them.

Josh7
02-15-2013, 10:33 PM
I have the 1266 blank and have test cast it but not yet built it.

It is 10' 6" rated for 3/4-4. It seemed best for 1.5-3 oz. Lighter would be fine, I suspect 4 would be pushing it. I like the action of the rod. It is what you might call a progressive moderate action....somewhere between a C curve rod like a GSB/KF/or CTS VT, and a J curve rod like a CTS S series. The tip is softer than the midshaft, but the entire rod is a medium modulus (they make this rod in high modulus as well). The result is that when throwing in its lighter range, the rod acts like a fast action stick and as you get near the upper range it slows down and casts more like a slower action rod. It has decent midshaft strength so it should handle fish well. It is light, 6.6oz, which puts it right there with the CTS stuff, but the CTS rods are thinner and probably unload a bit faster (they are higher modulus). The soft tip and moderate modulus makes the rod cast very smoothly, it throws metal lips great and probably would excel with eels. There is nothing wimpish about the rod, but for the canal I suspect the 1267 or 1327 would be better (but heavier by about 1.5-2oz.....still about what a Century weighs). When I cast this FSC 1266 alongside a GSB1201m, I decided not to build the GSB since it seemed a dull sister to the GSB1321M I already have built. The FSC is much lighter and nicer casting than the GSB1201M with a little less upper range that is OK by me.

I don't know anything about the other FSC blanks, but if the action is similar they likely have a lot going for them.
I'm debating whether to get an SB 1327 rated 1-5 oz or a CTS vt 3-6oz. Do you know anything about the sb1327 I know that it was designed specially for the montauk surf casters and thts why I probably will go with it, but if you know anything about the rod the info would be greatly appreciated
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

numbskull
02-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Can't help you there. The FSC 1327 has not been released yet as far as I know, and I've not cast a CTS VT 2-6.

The 1266 is a nice blank and I suspect the FSC 1327 is as well, but so is the CTS VT 2-6 and I seriously doubt either rod (or a GSB1321M for that matter) is clearly "better" than the other. It will come down to how you cast and what you like. They all will do the job you want about the same.

Fibrestar
02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
The FSC MB1327 is in the Maruader series. The SB1266 is in the Predator series. The MTK Maruader is a built rod designed for Montuak, Block and places that a rod with it's details are needed. The material make up of the blank is different then that of the Predator or Raptor series.
The MB 1327 will be available as blank in March and the MTK Maruader built rod will only be available at Paulie's Tackle in MTK. it will also be built as a standard Maruader factory rod starting in April. which uses Fuji K Alconite guides in a concept type layout.

We are working on a Maruader canal factory version of rods as well but not sure when these will be out just yet. You can call or email the factory and get more info. Thanks