View Full Version : Custom Rod Question

AngrySeaHorse
02-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Gentlemen,

First and foremost I am new to the forums and would like to introduce myself. My name is Dan I'm from the North Shore of Long Island and have been fishing for several years now. Ive been going to college in upstate New York so most of my experience has been fresh water, but I love the surf cast during the summer. I am graduating from college this year and joining the work force shortly (real life) so I am looking to reward myself with a nice surf cast pole.

I've done the research, and I think the pole that suits me the best is the 11' CTS Vapor Trail 3-6 OZ. I've been using an 10' Ugly Stik the past few years and though I like it, it has not been able to get me as far out into the surf as I would like to be. I am more then willing to spend the money, and I know the blank itself is around $400 dollars. Can anyone help me with the estimated cost of building the rest of it? I'm sure there are several variables involved, I would love to have it top notch as this will be a special piece for me that I do not plan to replace for a decade.

Also if anyone has any recommendations to who would do a good job with this project on the island, let me know

Thanks,
Daniel.

iamskippy
02-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Dan,
let me be the first to welcome you to the forums, you can find a ton of info here around rods. Just use the advanced search feature.

I am sure several guys will be posting shortly, but in my opinion and due to recent posts i will say that my opinion is based upon spending a ton of money till i found what i like and what was right for me, so here you go. I prefer and would recommended the Century 1328, i think that rod would be in the same class as the CTS you are looking Centry also offers a beefier stick the POD.

Century will have a both set up at surf day stop in ask for Chef chris or Lou tell em Skip sent you.

I know some of the guys that use that CTS rod are happy but myself and the guys that crossed over to Century wont look back. The rods not only have the back bone to wrangle a fish but the feel and distance gained when casting is amazing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

N.ShoreFisher
02-17-2013, 03:39 PM
you came to the right place man, these guys are awesome! Good luck and welcome.

afterhours
02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Can't go wrong with the 11' CTS Vapor Trail 3-6 oz- my go to rod.

stripermaineiac
02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Take a run down to Paulies an he might have a couple rods along the line of what your looking for that you can see and feel with the reel your gonna use. Just remember your the one that's gonna use it and it has to fit how you fish. I've built loads of rods over the years and my ist rule is how does it feel in the customers hands with a reel and guides taped on and test casting it.We all have our own style an flaws when we cast an fish. the rods you choose need to fit you. If someone wants to build you a quote custom rod without spending some time sizing you to the rod you want built well then you may as well just buy a factory rod cause it just isn't a custom rod-which will be more expensive- and at least get the factory warrentee and not just a rod that looks pretty.The Striper Maine-iac Ron

AngrySeaHorse
02-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Appreciate all of the advice fellas. I will use every bit of it when it comes down to the final decision. I look forward to communicating and listening to advice from all of you as my experience grows throughout the year. Going be a great season!

iamskippy
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
If you want to demo some Century rods let me know i maybe able to set up some testing for you :)

lamigsb1
02-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Solid advice from Ron. Wish someone had said that to me 7 years ago, could have saved a ton of money over the years. Going from an ugly stick to a custom, high end rod is a huge jump. My advice would be to spend some time fishing mid price point factory rods until you find what feels best in your hand. Weather a setup give you casting elbow etc.
Watch the classified on the fishing forums you can usually score a good deal this time of year. Best of luck

Jon

GregW
02-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Solid advice from Ron. Wish someone had said that to me 7 years ago, could have saved a ton of money over the years. Going from an ugly stick to a custom, high end rod is a huge jump. My advice would be to spend some time fishing mid price point factory rods until you find what feels best in your hand. Weather a setup give you casting elbow etc.
Watch the classified on the fishing forums you can usually score a good deal this time of year. Best of luck

Jon

X2

Every one has their opinions on what rods are best for them. A custom is the best rod for you, so you should discover that by trying out rods until you find the right one. You should sit down and figure out exactly the type of fishing you are going to be doing, lures used, etc.

In addition, regarding longevity, I would check warranty information and ask around how others were treated when they had issues.

Hope this helps.

massbassman
02-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Hey Daniel, first of all welcome to the site. Check the Classified section as I just posted a rod that you might want to check out.

MakoMike
02-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Call Neil Faulkner at (631)567-8049. He build a lot of CTS rods. He may even have a few for you to pull on the next time you're home.

AngrySeaHorse
02-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Mako, I appreciate the contact number. Ill be home late March. Should I give him a call ahead of time or would I be okay to contact him them.

Thanks,
Dan

Fibrestar
02-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Gentlemen,

First and foremost I am new to the forums and would like to introduce myself. My name is Dan I'm from the North Shore of Long Island and have been fishing for several years now. Ive been going to college in upstate New York so most of my experience has been fresh water, but I love the surf cast during the summer. I am graduating from college this year and joining the work force shortly (real life) so I am looking to reward myself with a nice surf cast pole.

I've done the research, and I think the pole that suits me the best is the 11' CTS Vapor Trail 3-6 OZ. I've been using an 10' Ugly Stik the past few years and though I like it, it has not been able to get me as far out into the surf as I would like to be. I am more then willing to spend the money, and I know the blank itself is around $400 dollars. Can anyone help me with the estimated cost of building the rest of it? I'm sure there are several variables involved, I would love to have it top notch as this will be a special piece for me that I do not plan to replace for a decade.

Also if anyone has any recommendations to who would do a good job with this project on the island, let me know

Thanks,
Daniel.

Cost to build yourself will be in the range of $75-100. Depends on handle type ie: Cork tape or shrink, Type of guides and how many you use. reel seats are like 10-15 dollars and I would suggest to only use a Fuji reel seat. No better made reel seat and worth the money.

You could call Lou Canuso or Pualie's Tackle ( not sure he's open this time of year) to see what they have components and blanks. I know Lou has most good name brand quality blanks or at least should. Good luck and enjoy!

puppet
02-19-2013, 12:33 PM

Jon

X2

Every one has their opinions on what rods are best for them. A custom is the best rod for you, so you should discover that by trying out rods until you find the right one. You should sit down and figure out exactly the type of fishing you are going to be doing, lures used, etc.

In addition, regarding longevity, I would check warranty information and ask around how others were treated when they had issues.

Hope this helps.

X3

not only the bump from the Ugly stick to a custom, but also the
shift from a summertime surfcaster to more of a serious surfcaster.
As noted...For the money that you will dump into one custom rod,
you could buy a couple of nice mid-level rods to experiment with. If
you throw plugs, you may even consider getting a Van Staal to pair
with a mid-level rod, if that wasn't already a consideration.

I still use factory rods, not because I cannot afford a custom, but
more because I am still exploring this sport....going on eight years.
Just recently, I am starting to consider getting a custom...

It is not to say, that you cannot treat yourself to a nice setup, but
you may find that your interests in specific techniques change. A
$250 rod is still a pretty nice stick....and compared to the ugly stick,
you will think it came straight from heaven.

I only have experience with lamiglas and st. croix, but I really like the lamiglas models.

good luck.

surfguy
02-19-2013, 03:28 PM
First thing you need to do is find out where you can put a couple of different rods in your hands. There are quite a few good blanks out there these days the trick is to find one that is right for you and the way you fish.

MakoMike
02-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Mako, I appreciate the contact number. Ill be home late March. Should I give him a call ahead of time or would I be okay to contact him them.

Thanks,
Dan

I would call him a day or two before you want to get together. He'll have lots of blanks & rods for you to pull on and figure out how you want it built.