View Full Version : Muscle cramps in the jaw after dental work

Finaddict
02-22-2013, 11:09 PM
So had a routine teeth clean, x-ray and check up today at the dentist - all went well. Went home had lunch, later dinner ... no problems.

At about 9:30 p.m., went to yawn and my muscles felt like they had cramped up ... hurt like the #^&#^&#^&#^&ens, and could barely open my mouth. I have been suffering through the pain trying to get them loosened up for the past hour-and-a-half, but still pretty severe pain in my jaw on both sides of the mouth.

Anyone ever experience this before?

Kind of wish I did not drop all my left over muscle relaxers at the police station from my leg surgery, they could come in handy about now.

iamskippy
02-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Kind of wish I did not drop all my left over muscle relaxers at the police station from my leg surgery, they could come in handy about now.

Seriously?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer
02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Jaw pain.............uuummmmm, any heart disease that you are currently being treated for? Just a thought. Hope your better today.

seabuggy
03-08-2013, 08:51 PM
I have a condition that my jaw lock in the open position while being treated at the dentist. This makes him nervous because he says in extreme cases, it requires immediate surgery. In my case, I have not needed surgery but my mouth is as you describe. It goes away in a few days, but eating is uncomfortable until it does. Good Luck

Van
03-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Yea I had it after some dental work for a root canal.
They called it a Trismus. Me thinks the old slang is lockjaw.

I really do feel your pain, it sucked big time!!!!!!

It hurt so bad and would not go away, I eventuallty had to do physical therapy to get it corrected. It worked though after about 4 visits it loosened up and all was good.

They used ultrasonics and heat then push and pull.:uhuh:

Swimmer
03-11-2013, 08:43 AM
So how did this work out? Was it just the novacaine wearing off making the nerve contract or what? I hate this kind of pain as does everyone.

I just remembered when I was seven I had my jaw dislocated playing farm league baseball. It popped back in after about 45 minutes. Never did go to the hospital. But my jaw clicked until I was in my teen years.

Van
03-11-2013, 09:35 AM
When they inject deep in the jaw for work like root canals in the back. They ended up sticking the needle right in the nerve/tendon area that moves your jaw causing inflammation. They had trouble getting my lower numb so they kept injecting and injecting and injecting.

Once injured/inflammed, I think the muscle reacts by locking up to prevent further damage.

My ordeal went on for about 3 months. I couldn't talk back to the better half all that time, so life was peaceful....:love::uhuh:

Fishoholic
03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
I've had a broken jaw twice and have a problem when I yawn sometimes. Lock Jaw SUCKS! I usually have to massage the muscles out. Luckily I've never not been able to fix it myself. Glad you got your problem figured out.

Jackbass
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Happens to me on occasion under the jaw it is brutal