View Full Version : safe ice

Sea Dangles
02-23-2013, 08:53 PM
The pond near me has rain packed snow on top of ice and I have been treading lightly for a few days.It can be described as 4" of this loosely packed ice over 3" of clear ice. I have not heard a settlking crack but I am still nervous from a safety perspective. BTW,outstanding bite today.

Night Shift
02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
It's plenty safe, but be on your guard. Be sure to carry a spud and check for weak spots as you go . With spring runoff, the sunlight getting stronger, warm temps, and/or strong winds, conditions can and will change very rapidly, and usually not uniformly. Enjoy the bite, it should steadily improve through the month of March.

And don't be afraid to travel. On some of the lakes I've been fishing up north, there is almost 2 feet of ice and it's still building.

FishermanTim
02-25-2013, 01:26 PM
I agree....I was in Moultonborough, NH this past week and was able to drive my truck out on the ice.

I chose to leave the power auger at home and hand drill through the 1.5' of ice each day.

I may "rethink" that plan next time.

The best thing is the ice is solid ice, not crappy frozen slush stuff.
The worst thing was carving holes by hand!!!!!

I did get some fish, but with a 2 trap limit on the big lake, I set one trap and jigged like a madman for panfish (which were very cooperative)!

Rockfish9
02-26-2013, 09:24 AM
On the lake I've been fishing.. being short is a distinct advantage.. the auger power head is approaching ground level when it breaks through..the new snow will keep it from getting much thicker this late in the season..