View Full Version : Skate is delicious.

Nebe
03-01-2013, 07:45 PM
That's all.

Big Biscuit
03-01-2013, 07:51 PM
It's all the rage in New York city restaurants right now. If it's not on your menu you're nobody.

Nebe
03-01-2013, 07:58 PM
It blew me away.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe
03-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Made it myself. No trip to NYC needed.

Slingah
03-01-2013, 07:59 PM
what does it compare too? firm, flaky, mushy??? strong, mild, bland??sweet savory?? inquiring minds want to know!

blondterror
03-01-2013, 08:01 PM
I had it in Paris about 5 years ago and it blew me away as well.

Nebe
03-01-2013, 08:08 PM
what does it compare too? firm, flaky, mushy??? strong, mild, bland??sweet savory?? inquiring minds want to know!

Imagine Monsanto crossing the flavors of sea scallops with crab and with the texture of speckled sea trout or weakfish.. Not mushy, but very delicate.

Slingah
03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Imagine Monsanto crossing the flavors of sea scallops with crab and with the texture of speckled sea trout or weakfish.. Not mushy, but very delicate.

ooh 'très bien'! ....will have to try....

thefishingfreak
03-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Dorchester flounder

Big Biscuit
03-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Made it myself. No trip to NYC needed.

How did you prepare and serve this tasty morsel?

Nebe
03-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Google skate wing in brown butter caper sauce. I served it over thin spaghetti and steamed up some broccoli. I also sauted up 3 squid as an appetizer. Simple.

Big Biscuit
03-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Google skate wing in brown butter caper sauce. I served it over thin spaghetti and steamed up some broccoli. I also sauted up 3 squid as an appetizer. Simple.

Looks good. :uhuh:

Zeno
03-01-2013, 10:19 PM
if i have a choice, always my number 1
pain in the ass to find localy

Saltheart
03-01-2013, 10:49 PM
They have been punching "scallops" out of skate for decades.

Rob Rockcrawler
03-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Eben did you go fishing? Or buy them?

RickBomba
03-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I think I mentioned this in another post. If you can master skinning them, they are really delicious.

Eben hit the nail right on the head with the Noissette prepatation (means hazelnut in French which refers to the brown butter).

Meuniere (in the method of the miller) with parsley, lemon, capers is another hit with skate.

It's the only fish (to my knowledge) that gets more tender the longer that you cook it.

Nebe
03-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Rob- I bought it..

Nebe
03-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Gabe will mail you some. .. Gabe The Fish Babe — FISH CLUB HOME DELIVERY (http://www.gabethefishbabe.com/products/copy-of-fish-club)

BigFish
03-02-2013, 09:45 AM
ooh 'très bien'! ....will have to try....

:hidin:

N.ShoreFisher
03-02-2013, 01:01 PM
me and my friend took home a skate and threw the whole thing on the grill a few years ago on our very first fishing outting. Not sure how many spices we put on it, but after we got through the skin, the small amount of flesh we got was very good! lol. We had no idea what we were doing, but it tasted good!!

MakoMike
03-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Damn, you had to go and tell everyone? :)

striprman
03-02-2013, 08:18 PM
I guess catching them is better than getting skunked, but not much.

Raven
03-03-2013, 06:56 AM
eating roasted seaweed
for a breakfast snack

Rockport24
03-04-2013, 11:23 AM
that's funny, a friend of mind just told me how he had it at a restaurant in mhead and it was amazing. I know you guys have said that in the past on here as well, but the idea of skinning it kinda freaks me out!

JackK
03-04-2013, 11:30 AM
They have been punching "scallops" out of skate for decades.

urban legend

Pete F.
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
I caught one once on a flyrod at Parsons Beach in Maine. Some oriental guy was happy to have it.
There I go spot burning again, next thing you know it will be full of guys with flyrods fishing for skates.

macojoe
03-04-2013, 02:56 PM
How to skin a skate: Skinning Skate - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ33vd9192Q)

Guppy
03-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Joe, too much work! Linsey's here I come! :devil2:

ThrowingTimber
03-04-2013, 08:25 PM
what was it that pt barnum said?

Nebe
03-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Unless you have eaten it, shut your mouth.

Big Biscuit
03-04-2013, 10:28 PM
How to skin a skate: Skinning Skate - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ33vd9192Q)

This guy doesn't mess around.

BigBo
03-05-2013, 06:35 AM
At the risk of being a nobody, I'll leave it off my menu thank you. :no2:

zacs
03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
i'm not sure why anyone that hasn't tried skate would not want to at least give it a shot.

I keep every one, and it is by far my kids favorite fish to eat I catch..

But not sure why you wouldn't want to at least try it, or why you would knock it if you haven't tried it...

It is WAYYYY better eating than striper, I would challenge anyone to eat them side by side and disagree

Nebe
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
i'm not sure why anyone that hasn't tried skate would not want to at least give it a shot.

But not sure why you wouldn't want to at least try it, or why you would knock it if you haven't tried it...

It is WAYYYY better eating than striper, I would challenge anyone to eat them side by side and disagree

Like pt Barnum said. There's an ass for every seat. :hihi:
I'm happy to eat a yummy fish that is abundant and am also happy doing my part to not eat fish that are at risk from over fishing like cod... Although I will eat cod from time to time.

MakoMike
03-05-2013, 01:43 PM

I only keep the big ones, too much effort for too little meat on the small ones.

2na
03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Back before the seals ate them all I took big skate every chance I got. The way to skin them is to make a little cut under the skin, stand on it and pull the skin off with pliers, then filet the meat off of the cartilage. You had to be careful around the edges of the skate because there were tiny needle like bones, and if you got stuck it would bleed forever.

Rick, isn't the traditional French prep called 'burre blanc'? burned butter? or something like that? butter and capers?

My prep was to cut it into bite sized pieces, crush up some Nabisco crackers, mix that butter and garlic in a baking dish and cook it until fork tender.

I was at Race Point one day years back and a guy I knew was dragging tin when he hooked into a monster manhole cover skate. I cut it for him, we cooked it up and he loved it - but later that night he woke up sick as a dog puking his guts out. Didn't put 2 + 2 together, brought the rest of it home and cooked it for his wife, ended up waking up int he middle of the night puking in his backyard - he's allergic to it -

Oh, the good old days.....

spence
03-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Not burned. Burre blanc is more of an emulsion of butter and acid (i.e. usually wine)with the additions you've described. Very simple to make once you get the hang of it and goes with just about any white fish.

macojoe
03-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm happy to eat a yummy fish that is abundant and am also happy doing my part to not eat fish that are at risk from over fishing like cod... Although I will eat cod from time to time.

Now that they have found a market for it, it won't be long before they are on the endangered list!!

Nebe
03-05-2013, 07:23 PM
This is sadly true.

spence
03-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Now that they have found a market for it, it won't be long before they are on the endangered list!!

Doubt it, people are never going to go for it because of the name alone. Why does Mako have such a low market price?

Nebe
03-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Very true!!

bassmaster
03-07-2013, 01:50 PM
eben blows

Jenn
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Back before the seals ate them all I took big skate every chance I got. The way to skin them is to make a little cut under the skin, stand on it and pull the skin off with pliers, then filet the meat off of the cartilage. You had to be careful around the edges of the skate because there were tiny needle like bones, and if you got stuck it would bleed forever.

Oh, the good old days.....

I do remember before the seals you could fill a pick up load with them in a night if you wanted to....then came the seals and now you couldnt get one if you wanted too!

I did want to try one years ago and tried my hand at cutting off the wings and skinning them...not really knowing how to do it but figured how hard could it be, right? Got one wing cut off and started the attempt to skin it when I realized I had broken out with a nasty rash from finger tip to elbow from the raspy skin and then I canned the whole idea!!!!!

fid
03-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Mm... skate sashimi with red pepper sauce..