View Full Version : Can't wait any longer

GregW
03-10-2013, 01:44 PM
My new fishing partner decided that he's seen enough, it was time to get some time in the surf despite the weather.

Rappin Mikey
03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Nice dog. Spot burn. Rocky beach with waves.:biglaugh:

Higgie
03-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Nice Greg!! Good looking lab
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jackbass
03-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Be careful when tossing pencils with that guy. He might want to go get em back for you. ;-)

GregW
03-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Be careful when tossing pencils with that guy. He might want to go get em back for you. ;-)

I was thinking a similar thing. I'm wondering how he'd do with fishing.

Anyone have any experience bringing a dog along?

tysdad115
03-11-2013, 08:08 AM
I was thinking a similar thing. I'm wondering how he'd do with fishing.

Great pics, my male dog is terrified of water but the female runs right in. I believe Numbskull always has his dog with him, he shows up in many pics.

Swimmer
03-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Not the golden I have now, but the last one would go in the water, and I'd have to swim out to get her. Then when I would be swimming toward her she thought I was coming to play with her. I mean she would swim out 100 to 150 from the dry beach and stay there for 15 to 20 minutes. I finally bought 200' of light run wire with me so I could pull her back in. God she loved it.

DZ
03-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Hooks and dogs don't mix - young dogs especially. Watch your backcasts! Make sure they don't go after your fish when you're landing them. And they really like dead stuff washed up on the beach.

DZ

Ed B
03-11-2013, 09:11 AM

I have experience with other peoples dogs. Don't bring them fishing. As DZ said, hooks, dogs and flapping fish are a very bad mix.

I was at Chatham inlet early one season around 84 or 85 and there were a lot of small pollack in the surf. On the dropper I hooked a small pollack and it was flapping around on the sand. Someones dog comes racing over barking at the fish and gets one treble hook of my plug in his leg. He then instinctively bites the plug and gets the other treble in his mouth. So the dog's mouth and leg are now attached to my plug and the dog is letting out these blood curdling howls for everyone on the beach to hear. No way I was going to hold down a strange dog and try to unhook him and put myself into new danger. I stood there and waited for the owner to come down and get his dog unhooked, which he eventually did, but it was not a good scene.

Sea Dangles
03-11-2013, 09:41 AM
My dog joins me on the boat and he loves to kiss the fish. He is smart enough to wait until I tell him it is OK.Nice looking pup Greg,labs are almost human,just more understanding.

fishbones
03-11-2013, 09:54 AM

I fish with Seamule, and he's like a dog. Well, he's like a dog in that he'll try to hump your leg and poops on the grass. But he's messier and he has more fleas than most dogs.

SeaMule
03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm looking for a new fishing partner.

fishbones
03-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Lol.

bart
03-11-2013, 10:29 AM
I was supposed to go out to lunch with my girl on Sat but it was so friggin' beautiful out and I didn't feel like sitting in a dark restaurant so i picked her up and drove down to the Ocean Mist. Bluebird day in the low 50s, HUGE surf( the deck at Tara's collapsed the night before). We didn't leave the roof deck until it got dark. Awesome way to spend a sunny day in March. Good to be back by the water...

tysdad115
03-11-2013, 10:42 AM
I fish with Seamule, and he's like a dog. Well, he's like a dog in that he'll try to hump your leg and poops on the grass. But he's messier and he has more fleas than most dogs.

I thought those were some of his finer traits too..he's a bit rough around the edges for sure.:rotf2:

PRBuzz
03-11-2013, 10:52 AM

With that kind of review/recommendation don't think you are going to find many new partners :smash: so you better suck up to the one you got!:love:

fishbones
03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
With that kind of review/recommendation don't think you are going to find many new partners :smash: so you better suck up to the one you got!:love:

Phil, he's a very good deck hand. He's planning on mating full time on your boat this season. You should see him with a filet knofe in his hand.:)

GregW
03-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Phil, he's a very good deck hand. He's planning on mating full time on your boat this season. You should see him with a filet knofe in his hand.:)

Good way to get the boat rammed, by other boaters.:rotf2::biglaugh:

GregW
03-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Hooks and dogs don't mix - young dogs especially. Watch your backcasts! Make sure they don't go after your fish when you're landing them. And they really like dead stuff washed up on the beach.

DZ

I have experience with other peoples dogs. Don't bring them fishing. As DZ said, hooks, dogs and flapping fish are a very bad mix.

I was at Chatham inlet early one season around 84 or 85 and there were a lot of small pollack in the surf. On the dropper I hooked a small pollack and it was flapping around on the sand. Someones dog comes racing over barking at the fish and gets one treble hook of my plug in his leg. He then instinctively bites the plug and gets the other treble in his mouth. So the dog's mouth and leg are now attached to my plug and the dog is letting out these blood curdling howls for everyone on the beach to hear. No way I was going to hold down a strange dog and try to unhook him and put myself into new danger. I stood there and waited for the owner to come down and get his dog unhooked, which he eventually did, but it was not a good scene.

Not the golden I have now, but the last one would go in the water, and I'd have to swim out to get her. Then when I would be swimming toward her she thought I was coming to play with her. I mean she would swim out 100 to 150 from the dry beach and stay there for 15 to 20 minutes. I finally bought 200' of light run wire with me so I could pull her back in. God she loved it.

That's exactly the stuff I would be afraid of. He's well behaved, but with a flopping fish on the beach I could see all bets being off.

GregW
03-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Great pics, my male dog is terrified of water but the female runs right in. I believe Numbskull always has his dog with him, he shows up in many pics.

I meant to tell you, I discovered that we may have been fishing the wrong spot on this beach the last two years. The storm really tore up the beach , but I found the location of some bait sources.

GregW
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
My dog joins me on the boat and he loves to kiss the fish. He is smart enough to wait until I tell him it is OK.Nice looking pup Greg,labs are almost human,just more understanding.

Definately. I never truly understood the dog thing until I got one.

fishbones
03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
That's exactly the stuff I would be afraid of. He's well behaved, but with a flopping fish on the beach I could see all bets being off.

Practice at home with no hooks.

tysdad115
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I meant to tell you, I discovered that we may have been fishing the wrong spot on this beach the last two years. The storm really tore up the beach , but I found the location of some bait sources.

Good , I'm in. Lets go when it isn't a 35mph north wind though..

Higgie
03-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Nows the age to start the training of what to chase and what not to chase. I started my Australian shepherd at a young age in the daytime on sandy beaches now she goes with me 50% of the time I'm fishing.

MarshCappa
03-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Good looking pup!! I can't take my dog fishing unless I am chunking. He barks everytime i cast and even though he doesn't chase it he's jumping all around the line usually. PIA to be looking after him when I'm fishing unless i got a sand spike in and I'm chilling in my chair. He's too much of a goof ball otherwise and an accident waiting to happen!!

MAKAI
03-11-2013, 11:14 PM
The both of you will enjoy the quality time.
My dog of almost 13 years has more beach fishing time than most of
my fishing friends.

GregW
03-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Nows the age to start the training of what to chase and what not to chase. I started my Australian shepherd at a young age in the daytime on sandy beaches now she goes with me 50% of the time I'm fishing.

The both of you will enjoy the quality time.
My dog of almost 13 years has more beach fishing time than most of
my fishing friends.

Good to hear that some have had success. I will try it out some time when I am not fishing hard and see how he does.

SeaMule
03-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Congrats on the new pup Greg. Dogs are awesome

Jim in CT
03-12-2013, 05:01 PM

DZ

What he said. A young, frisky lab may get into trouble with hooks.