View Full Version : Replacing it w/ a circle hook

Notaro
06-08-2003, 12:04 PM
I removed my treble hook from my 3/8 oz rapala minnow swimmer and replaced it with a eagle claw circle hook size 5 or 6 last week. I left one treble hook on the belly of my rapala. I don't know what you guys think of this plug setup I made. I don't have much experience in your area, but would like to have insights on that.
Thanks.

Christian
06-08-2003, 12:38 PM
doesnt sound like a good idea, i hate circle hooks. i use em to mix epoxy. if you want a single on the back go with siwash.

Notaro
06-08-2003, 12:40 PM
why isn't it a good idea?

Christian
06-08-2003, 02:42 PM
cause you cant set a circle hook

pops02
06-08-2003, 05:12 PM
cirlcle hooks are mostly used for fishing with bait, and most times, no hook set is necessary, as the fish set the hook on themselves

fishing bum wannabe
06-08-2003, 05:28 PM
I used circle hooks with softbaits last year and found them remarkably effective. The reason I tried them was that the fish were inhaling the 9" Sluggos into their gills, resulting in damage, bleeding and I am sure some mortality. Circle hooks eliminated the deep hooking, and seemed, contrary to popular thought, to hook on the set.

I have found circle hooks to be an opportunity to limit fish mortality, which should be a major consideration to any catch and release fisherman. I see a lot of fly fishermen using them now. Try them out. I wouldn't be surprised if they work well. I know they work as well as any other hook when using unweighted soft baits.

I won't use anything else when using bait. Over the years I have deep hooked uncounted numbers of fish, and had stopped using bait. With circle hooks I have been able to use bait again and practice catch and release, or release the shorts.

fishweewee
06-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Notaro let me know what you're experience with the circle hook is after you've taken a few fish on the tail hook. You never know until you give it a try...:confused:

Christian
06-09-2003, 01:18 PM
i was having trouble hooking them with TREBLES today:wall:

Notaro
06-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Hmm, the reason I asked you this is because some people told me that it wouldn't work on a lure. And I want to experiment it and to de-hook a bluefish easy. A J-hook took me a while to release a bluefish two weekends ago. I will try it this weekend with a guy from R-T.

Christian
06-09-2003, 08:52 PM
from my experience circle hooks are harder to remove than regulars.
if you use circle hooks on a plug you will not hook anywhere near the number of fish you would if you used regular hooks. put a circle hook and on your plug see how many fish you can hook, probally none.
if you want a single on the back and to make an easy release, go with siwash.if you want to see fish hitting your plug and not be able to hook them, go with circles. its up to you.

Notaro
06-09-2003, 09:15 PM
ohh, you got me there. christain, i must really tell you again that im really impressed with you because you are young, experienced, and talented angler. is there any store that sells siwash like you said? i just need to find soemthing to replace the treble hook because they are harder for me to release a bluefish. it tried to bite my finger and made me chase it on the boat, all the way around in circle and back 'n forth. even i snapped the barb, but still, u know what i mean? those blues...

bassmaster
06-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Christian
i was having trouble hooking them with TREBLES today:wall:
hey Bunkey, I bet the fish are Bumping Your Plug Right????
when the fish Hits the plug drop the rod and set on it.

Fishpart
06-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Try here for SS Siwash open eye hooks.

http://www.capecodtackle.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=cct01&Category_Code=05_01_MISC+HOOKS

Christian
06-10-2003, 11:45 AM
got ya, i got the rod ready position down and set the hook good on swimmers and stuff, but the fish were hitting the popper on the side of thier body, then just swimming away towards my friends fly rod.:rolleyes:
had one fish follow my yellow and red pencil today that was cast out a mile, it was a large but i never came back to hit it.

whos bunkey?:D

Fishpart
06-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Christian,
If they are hitting on the fly, why not try a teaser.

Mustad 3407 say 2/0 with a small shad or curl tail often works if you don't have a fly.

Christian
06-10-2003, 02:37 PM
left them in the car about a mile away:(