View Full Version : ProWrap

beamie
03-11-2013, 10:31 AM
So now that Gudebrod is being discontinued how many of you guys have used the Prowrap threads yet?

Or any of the entire ProWrap product line. Are they Great, good, ok etc......

chefchris401
03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm pretty new to wrapping my own rods but all I use is the pro wrap, packs really nice, great color selection and lots of color and size options.

Seems the route a lot of builders are going and I think they have a gudebrod to their color conversion chart too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Saltheart
03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Prowrap seems OK until you put the finish on. Then is goes somewhat transparent. I don't really like it compared to Gudebrod but its the most readily available right now. I plan to keep using my Gudebrod and madeira and keep my eye on the RB boards to see what people think of the other threads that will inevitably come out to try to grab the Gudebrod market.

pbadad
03-12-2013, 08:09 AM
I don't know who makes Pac-Bay but their metallics and NCP threads seemed OK. I have some National thread which lacks words to describe my dislikes. Shredding black thread, fuzzies, metallics kinkyand twists. They are readily available but I have a few different color/types and they don't do it for me.

paradoxjim
03-28-2013, 02:15 PM
I've used ProWrap nylon A with good results. It laid down fine and retained its color pretty well with CP; nice depth with the finish on it. The ProWrap metallic thread might be better suited in the suspension of your car. I did one rod with it and it came of the spool like a spring and was easily kinked. There are much better metallic choices readily available.

Fibrestar
03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
I running a production shop and my out wrappers who I gave a certain color in Prowrap hate the stuff. These are people who wrap for a living not rod builders. They are much faster then any of us. They get paid per tie off so being quick is key. They have no hang ups about rod building like many of us do they just do a job. The problem with Prowrap? It's stretch, when cut it unwinds and frays badly, It packs spongy and it burnishes like crap, It can have more knots or reties on one spool then you have ever seen and this ends up costing me and them money!!, it can get funny when finish is applied!

I know Saltheart doesn't like the transparent look and I don't think it's worse the Guberod in that respect. I depend on this to a point to match wrap colors to blank color. kind of disappear!! Compare Gube D size to Pro Wrap D and you will notice the Guberod diameter is greater while the PW is more like C size Guberod. I will also note that Guberod was wound/twisted for rod building only which until recently I didn't know. The Prowrap isn't just for rod building.

Not that Guberod was great but IMO it was the best choice although the color selection wasn't the best. I have since been testing a few threads, National, Fishhawk, Pacbay and a new thread that might be on market soon.

The National is not going to cut it at all another thread not made for rod building. Fishhawk seems pretty good but the colors really are not all that great. it seems to pack, burnish and finish well. I need to do a few more tests with it. Pacbay results were lack luster and it seem fuzzy. The new thread which is twisted for rod building has a stretch that is.. ahhh ok. It packs very nice and it takes finish very well. It cuts clean and didn't untwist badly when cut under pressure. I need to get better colors and sizes to try as I only have a rust color in A.

This is all done by me so once given to the out wrappers the real test is on. Prowrap and Fishhawk are about the only real choices out there right now. If this new brand comes out it too might be a better choice or maybe will end up being the only in the long run!!

stripermaineiac
03-29-2013, 03:45 PM
There's still a load of gudebrod 4 oz spools out there. 4oz was always best for consistancy of color lot and thread quality. It seems the nwer you get the less the quality.Sad

Fibrestar
04-02-2013, 03:02 PM
There's still a load of gudebrod 4 oz spools out there. 4oz was always best for consistancy of color lot and thread quality. It seems the nwer you get the less the quality.Sad

That is due to Guberod the last few years or after the first shutdown had all the dying of thread done out of house. They were only twisting and spooling ( spooling badly I might add) until the end in Jan.2013