View Full Version : best century rod for plugfishing the cape cod canal. 2 to 4 oz plugs

canalfisher
03-13-2013, 06:12 PM
i have been hearing good things about the century rod.what would be the best choice blank. i fish spinning and use a daiwa 6000 reel..also has anyone heard of the northeaster series.i mostly cast loaded cordells too 4 oz .thank you all

tysdad115
03-13-2013, 06:20 PM
I use a Sling Shot 1327 and 1328, either one is a great choice. If your local to canal or south shore I can meet you to try them. I'm sure one of the Century guys will tell about the noreaster series coming soon.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Fishoholic
03-13-2013, 06:31 PM
I used a SS 1327 11' for all of last season and loved it for throwing wood in that range or if you prefer a 10'6, the 1267 is virtually the same rod, just shorter and of course a little lighter.

Another option is an S-2 if you are more into parabolic rods.

Abodeon
03-13-2013, 07:28 PM
I was thinking the same. Going to have a 1267 built but in another thread here .guys were writing about broken Century's being brought to the show for replacement. Seems like there's so disagreement about whether they stand up well over time in the Canal where I mostly fish. Going to do some rethinking.

iamskippy
03-13-2013, 07:28 PM
I third the 1327 absolutely LOVE! This rod! Sold some of my GLoomis cause of it.

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Xra 1322

Jackbass
03-13-2013, 07:43 PM
I was thinking the same. Going to have a 1267 built but in another thread here .guys were writing about broken Century's being brought to the show for replacement. Seems like there's so disagreement about whether they stand up well over time in the Canal where I mostly fish. Going to do some rethinking.

Link??

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-13-2013, 07:46 PM
These rods have been BLOWN up from guys that used them for a season or less. I don't get it. People go out of their way to tell the world about a rod that they have little experience or usage with.

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I know it's off topic and I'm sorry to jump in but the whole Century thing reminds me of a pyramid scheme sales tactic. Not taking away from anyone by any means but it seems if you have been fishing for a few years and have a big mouth on the Internet they will sponsor you. You don't see any other respectable rod company doing anything remotely close to this. And even smaller companies don't do this

tysdad115
03-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Ouch. I'm not on the staff, only answered a question with what I've had no problems with the ones I've used.

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Ouch. I'm not on the staff, only answered a question with what I've had no problems with the ones I've used.

Don't be scared! I wasn't pointing anyone out. And it has nothing to do with anyone in particular. It's just annoying already. And I am aware that I totally screwed this thread but better than starting a new one. And with all the Century promoting they are not even a sponsor here. Btw Andy I have mad respect for you and your son.

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-13-2013, 08:24 PM

And btw once your son teaches you how to fish you may have a shot on the staff! Lol

tysdad115
03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Too late..I already farted in your general direction!

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-13-2013, 08:25 PM

Then u suck

iamskippy
03-13-2013, 08:41 PM

Nice python reference! One of my employees @ work gave me the spam a lot pin.

striperswiper75
03-13-2013, 09:58 PM

Also interested in reading through the prior post you mention. Contemplating a Sling Shot

Saltheart
03-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Now that the grump has finished hijacking the thread..... I think for 2 to 4 in the canal the 1327 or the 1267 or the newer S2 are the rods to go for. For plugs I would do the S2. For jigs either of the other 2 depending on your length preference.

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Now that the grump has finished hijacking the thread..... I think for 2 to 4 in the canal the 1327 or the 1267 or the newer S2 are the rods to go for. For plugs I would do the S2. For jigs either of the other 2 depending on your length preference.

Who said I was done? Btw gonna hit you up about the tctf thing we spoke about.

fishbones
03-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Grump? That's probably one of the nicest things anyone's called you in a long time.

Saltheart
03-13-2013, 10:39 PM
OK

Who said I was done? Btw gonna hit you up about the tctf thing we spoke about.

lamimann1212
03-13-2013, 10:44 PM
aint that the truth, its a joke seems as if you buy a century you get a pro staff agreement. Ive been fishing Rhode island conn and mass for 30 years, with plenty of very large fish. I don't brag, nor do i even post about my fish. Fishing was something you did and kept quiet, Century made it about who can talk more on the web. I have known many of there PRO STAFFERS for years and never in my wildest dream did i think they would be representing a product. Its petty sad but i guess that whats this Internet fishing bs is all about now. You don't see the lami pro staff guys or the st croix pro staff guys on here fighting and telling people bs. Who is on the CTS pro staff up here?? Im sure there on here somewhere are they internet heroes or are they fisherman?

I know it's off topic and I'm sorry to jump in but the whole Century thing reminds me of a pyramid scheme sales tactic. Not taking away from anyone by any means but it seems if you have been fishing for a few years and have a big mouth on the Internet they will sponsor you. You don't see any other respectable rod company doing anything remotely close to this. And even smaller companies don't do this

Saltheart
03-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Lamiman , you've been a member for 4 days (since ints now after midnight). Try coming back in a week (you'll be able to post again by then) and do something other than biotch about other people.

aint that the truth, its a joke seems as if you buy a century you get a pro staff agreement. Ive been fishing Rhode island conn and mass for 30 years, with plenty of very large fish. I don't brag, nor do i even post about my fish. Fishing was something you did and kept quiet, Century made it about who can talk more on the web. I have known many of there PRO STAFFERS for years and never in my wildest dream did i think they would be representing a product. Its petty sad but i guess that whats this Internet fishing bs is all about now. You don't see the lami pro staff guys or the st croix pro staff guys on here fighting and telling people bs. Who is on the CTS pro staff up here?? Im sure there on here somewhere are they internet heroes or are they fisherman?

Jackbass
03-14-2013, 04:36 AM
I bought a 1327 blank and a 1267 blank for the upcoming season. People have been complaining about rods breaking out of the box for years. It happens. Any of the newer light weight rods are subject to it. It is what it is. My favorite plugging rod for the ditch the past few years has been my SSU1201m I also own a 1322XSRA that I am re hanging conventional. I endorse no products other than what I have used. My opinion. Guys that jump on here and crap on a product with in their first few posts are more than likely doing so for a reason. I will apologize if the motives are not alterior but that seems to be a common theme. If you use one of the newer blanks and get a gouge in it or experience any type of deep scratching it will explode on you. Just part of the deal. You need to watch how you handle the blank. I appreciate people having issues. It will happen somewhere to someone for ever. I am sure we will here about this type of thing once the infinities have been fished for a while too. Like we did when the RA's came out. Bottom line is find a blank you feel good casting. That you can cast often without fatigue

WESTPORTMAFIA
03-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Btw I don't know who the hell lami man is. Just wanted to make that clear.lol

fatcow
03-14-2013, 07:22 AM
This is my hero. Have u ever seen him road cast at the canal. Throws half way without an issue.

tysdad115
03-14-2013, 07:27 AM
This is my hero. Have u ever seen him road cast at the canal. Throws half way without an issue.

I thought road casting was covered elsewhere...:rotf2:

Swimmer
03-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Roadcasting is O.K. if no one is underneath, but if there is someone underneath the roadcaster fishing then the roadcaster is an #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. Another post digression from orignial intent.

fishbones
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
i have been hearing good things about the century rod.what would be the best choice blank. i fish spinning and use a daiwa 6000 reel..also has anyone heard of the northeaster series.i mostly cast loaded cordells too 4 oz .thank you all

Instead of going on opinions of people you don't know, you should try out some different rods, both Century and other brands, to see what feels comfortable for you. Bring the reel you're going to mount on the rod and cast it to get a feel for it. What works for someone else might not be right for you. You should definitely take Tysdad115 up on his very kind offer to try his rods out.

My concern with these new thin walled blanks is trying to turn a big fish in heavy current at the canal. A thin 11 footer isn't really made to do that. You may reach the other side of the canal with your cast, but it doesn't do you any good if you aren't experienced enough to get a big fish in from that distance.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Also keep in mind that high end equipment doesn't catch fish, the person using it does.

fishbones
03-14-2013, 09:09 AM

He won't be road casting for a while after the beating Jack Swagger gave him last week on RAW, lol.

Slipknot
03-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Instead of going on opinions of people you don't know, you should try out some different rods, both Century and other brands, to see what feels comfortable for you. Bring the reel you're going to mount on the rod and cast it to get a feel for it. What works for someone else might not be right for you. You should definitely take Tysdad115 up on his very kind offer to try his rods out.

My concern with these new thin walled blanks is trying to turn a big fish in heavy current at the canal. A thin 11 footer isn't really made to do that. You may reach the other side of the canal with your cast, but it doesn't do you any good if you aren't experienced enough to get a big fish in from that distance.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Also keep in mind that high end equipment doesn't catch fish, the person using it does.

I agree with that

GregW
03-14-2013, 10:24 AM

X2, Plus you should answer some questions at least for yourself, no matter what rod or manufacturer you go with.

You say you fish up to 4 oz. but is that jigging? Plugs?
What will you be using the rod for? Is it for the canal only, or mostly canal and some other locations? Rock hopping?
Do you have other rods to fit other slots or will this be your one and only rod to do it all?
What are you currently fishing now? What do you like about it? and what don't you like about it?
What other rods have you fished? What did you like/dislike about them?
Do you like your rods to be more parabolic or less?
I’d also look into things like:
What is the warranty? How have things been handled by them in the past?
Are you looking for a 1 piece or 2 piece, or could you care less?
How do the rods cast, and how do they fight fish?
Do you need a custom or would a factory be fine for you?

There are a lot of things to think about. Good luck in your search, and don't rush into anything. There are a lot of helpful people on the site and if there is a rod you are considering, I am sure someone would let you try it out.

Mike P
03-14-2013, 11:33 AM
People who fish the Canal heavily tend to blow up rods. I've seen as many Lamiglas rods break as any other brand. I can't count the number of Super Surf 11' MH rods I've seen break in the same area, about a foot above the reel. I've even seen guys break Harnells back in the day. Even the fabled, revered GSB blanks can break.

You could also ask a couple of local shops that build hundreds a rods a year about dealing with Lamiglas on warranty coverage.

How many guys blow up rods by trying to snap a jig loose from a snag, instead of pointing the tip at it and pulling straight back? How many break them by snap casting a high modulus, fast taper rod? How many break them by catching their lure on a rock or brush on their backswing? How many drop the rod on the rocks, causing a small, unseen crack?

Are the Century rods that are breaking the original HJ 1327s, which weren't autoclaved, or the newer Slingshot autoclaved versions?

I only know of two CTS pro staffers, and both are very experienced, hard-core guys.

bassmaster
03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
thin wall = snap

Stewie
03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
^^^ simple, precise, eloquent. :rotf2:

Abodeon
03-14-2013, 07:46 PM
People asked for link of broken Centuries. Not too good at that stuff. Part of RI show thread. Been informed by knowledgeable person that the negative comments may not be objective. More independent info is probably called for in this case.

SeaMule
03-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Excellent advise fishbones! I personally witnessed a new century rod snap off the top 6" of the tip while casting a 2 and a half oz pencil at the canal. It sounded like a shotgun going off! If it snaps during a cast, what happens fighting a 30+lb fish in a swift current? I personally use an arra 1322. Casts a mile and has a solid backbone. Super happy with that purchase from CMS.

tysdad115
03-14-2013, 09:13 PM
what happens fighting a 30+lb fish in a swift current?
I unhooked them and released them.. without any problems.
Not arguing here, just countering and answering your question with experienced facts. Can we drop this now?

stripermaineiac
03-15-2013, 05:52 AM
Hard part about any rod that breaks is not knowing what type of pounding it has taken. The wrong impact on any rod will create a weak point that will fail under the right conditions. I've been a custom rod builder longer than most on this site have been around let alone fishing and have seen just about every make n model of rod broken one way or other.About the only one I've never seen broke is the old Lami bts 120 6m. An old Hatteras heaver from the 60's. Probably one of the original canal sticks and was only a limited run.A few broken rods means hard fishing and probably banging off rocks when slipping an falling. A lot means a flaw.
Thin walled blanks will never take the same beating as heavier rods.It doesn't mean they're not a good rod. I've broken 3 of the new rods myself so far. A CTS at Rissa a couple yrs ago,aslingshot 120 from a plug slamming into it and and a 1327 slingshot that I'm still not sure why she failed. Before this I've broken fenwick 136m,lami 1322 Arra and Gsb and a few 8 an 9 ftrs. I still use another one of the rods that I broke because they do the job I want not because they're bad rods.Bad blanks show up quick because you don't see a couple broke here n there you see a lot. Look at the ist run ARRA 9 ft 2 peice. If you break one send it back.

if a rod is junk you will see a few custom builders an some shops on here talking about them. Ron

fatcow
03-15-2013, 06:40 AM
If u want to test a rod put it in my hands. For free that is. :). I will test it to its fullest potential and give it back. I only give honest feedback. :uhuh:

SeaMule
03-15-2013, 07:00 AM
I unhooked them and released them.. without any problems.
Not arguing here, just countering and answering your question with experienced facts. Can we drop this now?
I'm just sharing what I witnessed and my experience with a product I am pleased with. I think some folks will become very brand loyal once they commit to a particular product. My father-in-law for instance will only buy Chevy cars. Chevy could produce cars that had their wheels fall off after 15 miles and he would still find a way to defend their superiority as an auto manufacturer. I am not immune to brand loyalty either and I am not claiming that century produces an inferior product. Yes, we can drop it now. Lol.

fishbones
03-15-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm just sharing what I witnessed and my experience with a product I am pleased with. I think some folks will become very brand loyal once they commit to a particular product. My father-in-law for instance will only buy Chevy cars. Chevy could produce cars that had their wheels fall off after 15 miles and he would still find a way to defend their superiority as an auto manufacturer. I am not immune to brand loyalty either and I am not claiming that century produces an inferior product. Yes, we can drop it now. Lol.

Yeah, and some guys shave their legs.

Stewie
03-15-2013, 08:14 AM
If I shave my legs, will it keep my rods from breaking? :rotf2:

Subsurface508
03-19-2013, 11:25 AM
These rods have been BLOWN up from guys that used them for a season or less. I don't get it. People go out of their way to tell the world about a rod that they have little experience or usage with.
I blew up a Century 2X they handed me a brand new Stealth S2 rod so i can't say anything bad about them. The rod was still great broken i used it all season still PB on it too of 43#/48". All rods break imo jst depends what type of abuse u put on them. The canal alone beats the ish out of all gear. I broke a Rainshadow 1265 as well but it was cow after cow for hours so I'd imagine that abuse alone weakens a rod. CMS gladly replaced it for me.

Saltheart
03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Every rod line has some breaks and if the truth be known they almost always involve some kind of initial ding from user abuse. Yes rods should take some abuse but any rod can break after it gets nicked. Secondly , as Subsurface points out , if you break a Century in normal use , you get a new one. Can anyone deny that? If you step on it or break it in a car door , etc well that's not their fault. I know of no one who was ever denied a warrantee claim by Century.IMO they are the best available blanks right now . Yes I still like Lami's and all stars and some other brands and in fact mostly fish the canal with an XRA 1205 but if that ever breaks it will be replaced with the best suited Century at the time or whatever "new" rod brand that might come along to displace it.

The canal is a rediculously perilous environment for both the rod and the fisherman. How many people , much less their rods get all banged up there. The difference is rods don't heal. You ding your rod and thats a permanent potential failure initiation site.

Lastly , I have seen guys break every big brand name rod out there. When it has happened when I was watching , it was always operator error. If a rod breaks on your first or second day out , the rod had a defect.A defective rod will break on the first big fish or the first few casts after a big fish. If the rod breaks after 20 or 40 fishing days or two years of use , its because it got damaged during use. We are lucky to have a company like Century that is so reliable about honoring their warrantee. Many of the "lifetime warrantee" companies of the past and some new comers now regularly turn down warrantee claims siting high sticking or some other unproveable cause as their reason for denying a claim. Some people just don't know when they have it good!

bart
03-19-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't think I'd ever sell a GLoomis unless I could trade it for a GSB 120 1M or an Allstar 1088 (don't hear about many of those breaking). I don't know anything about the newer rods and that is only because I am comfortable with the companies I use, and currently have no reason to look elsewhere. If that changes, well then, I will look to another company. But I agree with statements made in other posts and on other sites. The rod wars are friggin' pathetic and childish. The agendas of most people are so transparent, it's almost like an insult to one's intelligence. Why would anyone care what other people fish? Build a good rod and let your reputation/work/customer service speak for itself . I, too, am not talking about anyone in particular nor do I have any affiliation with any company (wish i was that good :) ). Just wanted to make that clear...

zimmy
03-19-2013, 02:13 PM
I built a century 1327 for morning plugging and metal at the canal. They really are amazing rods. You won't go wrong with it for that purpose. FWIW, I have had two lamis break. I closed the door on an 8fter and blew up a 1081m after i bounced the top guide off of the canal road. With my clumsiness, they won't be the last.

puppet
03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
The canal is a rediculously perilous environment for both the rod and the fisherman. How many people , much less their rods get all banged up there. The difference is rods don't heal. You ding your rod and thats a permanent potential failure initiation site.

I really think this summarizes it all, and is of course not limited to
the canal. Goes for using it as a wading stick, dropping it from the
car, dropping gear on it, accidentally getting it jammed in the
bushes or the ground as you are walking, and most of all falling on
the sucker.

Its sort of human nature to pass the blame or forget things like
how used your rod on the rocks to prevent a face plant when you
tripped. Last season, I did that with a brand new rod....landed the
full 210# of falling weight, bracing the rod on the corner of a
rock....on the banks of the canal. I am just waiting for it to talk
back....amazing it hasn't.

If I break a rod, i just eat the cost if there is any reasonable doubt
that I may have caused the issue. I have only redeemed warranty
on one rod where I broke the rule....and it was earlier in my
surfcasting career, before I knew it was a no-no to high stick.
Believe me...I know I am broken, and I wish I could just demand
replacements like everyone else.

There is something about graphite or carbon fiber that gets jacked
if hit on the perpendicular. Permanent weak spot. I have had more failures
with early fresh water graphite rods in this way. I remember the
impact....followed soon with a failure. Sometimes after an impact it
would look fine, but all you would need to do is touch it and the rod
tip would fall off like a dead leaf.

Its really a testament to the advances in technology that these
rods can really stand up to considerable abuse. I don't know much
about the technology, but there is a lot of talk of these stronger
resins. I guess the industry is motivated to protect themselves
from warranty claims. On second thought perhaps bogus warranty
claims are a good thing! Never mind! We do demand better rods! We want progress!