View Full Version : tranducer...

missing link
06-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Anyone have any tip's or tricks on installing a tranducer ?:confused:

Thanks

Duke41
06-08-2003, 07:55 PM
did one this year, not to bad pm me and I will give you my phone number to discuss it,

missing link
06-08-2003, 08:03 PM
I will tell my dad tommrow to pm you. He went to bed @ 8:00 needs to get up around 3am

Thanks, matt

RockLobsta
06-08-2003, 08:09 PM
I also just installed one on my boat. Actually not as tough as I expected....

One thing I did do that helped out was used an existing wire to pull the new wire up through the conduit. I disconnected the existing wire at the console, then taped a pc of standard elec cord to it and pulled it down to the transom. Then I tied the new wire on and pulled all three back up to the console. Worked out pretty good for me.

As far as the mounting goes , just make sure you are positive on the location before you drill. You can always adjust up or down a bit but you want to be close the first time.

missing link
06-08-2003, 08:12 PM
btw this is on a brand new boat... what about superglueing the x-ducer mount on the transom?

capesams
06-08-2003, 08:51 PM
DON"T forget to use some 5200 on the screws an some in the screw holes BEFORE you screw the bracket on the stern,,,,silacone doesn't work, don't stick for crap.

kynan
06-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Missin,

If you are talking about superglueing to the outside of the transom, no way that will work.

If you are worried about drilling too many holes, go to boaters world or west marine, get a piece of "starboard" cut it to size, and use that as a mounting pad on your transom....3-4 screws anchored in 5200, and whenever you need to adjust your transducer, you are only drilling into the pad, not the boat.

You can also mount the TD inside the hull, in the bildge, within 6-12" from the back, you need a flat spot...there's different tricks to this, but the biggest rule in no air bubbles...you need some west system 2 part epoxy, that works best.

Trayder
06-09-2003, 07:19 AM
You can also mount the Tdcer inside the hull and have it "shoot Thru" the bottom of the hull if your boat is a solid laminate, (not cored).

All you have to do is goop on 4200 on the underside of the transducer and firmly press it down in the very bottom of your bilge.

I am thrilled with the performance and like not having holes in my transom or a big hole thru the hull.

Good luck

Van
06-09-2003, 08:14 AM
I just follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Measure twice and drill once. Don't worry about some holes in the transom. Just seal the screws when you do the job.

Tip I learned from an old timer. Put the sealant around the holes and on the screw, but DO NOT tighten all the way, it will squeeze the sealant out. Tighten most of the way but leave about 1 turn loose. After the sealant sets (next day) tighten the rest of the way. Has always worked for me.

Good Luck
V.

missing link
06-09-2003, 09:33 AM
In school.. just got done with english finals. MY dad will put all the replys to good use. thanks again, matt