View Full Version : flies to start

niko
03-15-2013, 09:00 PM
need some basic flies to get started. for bass ,blues, albies. would like to try some poppers. what is recommended

Pete F.
03-16-2013, 07:43 AM
I'd start with white or chartruse and white clousers and decievers.
This book has some great simple recipes and great advice.
Stripers and Streamers: Ray Bondorew: 9781571880727: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Stripers-Streamers-Ray-Bondorew/dp/1571880720/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363437601&sr=1-1&keywords=stripers+and+streamers)

striperman36
03-16-2013, 09:27 AM
clousers and decievers is all you need

saltfly
03-16-2013, 11:35 AM
poppers NEED to be in the mix.gartside gurglers[google them] are easy to put together and will produce on finiky fish.poppers made out of lobster bouys found on the beach[broken ones are fine.].get a piece of thin walled brass[not copper water pipe,too thick] tubing from a hobby store/hardware too.1/4"[ the smallest] to 5/8" [don't need to go bigger] about 12" long.Now get a torch[propane or mapp gas] and heat just the tip end of the tube.You'll have to experiment on how hot[not real hot,it will deform the foam].This needs to be DONE OUTSIDE!!!!!! The fumes from the foam are BAD.Now put your thumb over the opposite end of the heated tube and push it "through" the bouy quickly.The pressure built up from your thumb on the opposite end will pop the foam plug out of the tube.You should have a nicely formed plug that can be cut with a razor to the popper size you want.If the plug that popped out is deformed then the heated tube is too hot.I found different color foam bouys.Blue,red yellow,green,cream,blak,and of course white.Also they can have different densitys.The more dense the better they hold up to fish beating them and you handling them.
putting a hole for the hook is simple.A thin nail will work.If you want you can put the head of the nail into the end of a dowell with epoxy for a handle then you have more control over the nail going through the foam.It depends on the hook you want to use.I use Mustad 34011 in 2/0-3/0 but thats your preference.Wrap some feathers and flash at the bend of the hook then extend some material up towards the eye add some glue to that material and push the eye in the hole in the foam to where you want the foam to stay.I like 5 min epoxy for this because it's strong and you have some working time to adjust the foam before it sets. You can add stick-on or fancy eyes by matching the eye with the head of a nail and heat the head of the nail.push slightly on the faom to make an indentation for the eye.glue in the eye.
that should get you going.

O.D. Mike
03-16-2013, 04:25 PM
When we meet up at Piscator's house I'll bring you a handful of flies and sometime in the spring we can sit down and tie some. : )

rphud
03-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Where or what type of water do you plan on fishing?

striperman36
03-17-2013, 03:37 PM
When we meet up at Piscator's house I'll bring you a handful of flies and sometime in the spring we can sit down and tie some. : )

let me know when, I'll tie a bunch

niko
03-17-2013, 05:52 PM
thanks for the help guys. Where or what type of water do you plan on fishing?
i will be using it under all sorts of different conditions, surf and boat. prob the most likely will be suicidal blitz

rphud
03-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Can't go wrong with Deceivers, Clousers and Gurglers. Best advice is usually match the hatch, so think about what baitfish you need to imitate and where in the water column you need the fly to be and most importantly how you need to present the fly. Actually, most important is to have fun out there and tying too!

rphud
03-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Oh, and try not to feed your bass and albie flies to the bluefish. Tie up some fully synthetic, flashy flies for the toothie ones.

NEXT2NUN
03-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Send me your Address I'll hook you up

O.D. Mike
03-22-2013, 07:08 PM
This is Dave Skok's video, I skip the first two applications of material. For the Mylar step, I like to use synthetic yak and other types of material.
If it wasn't for Dave my flies would still have the paint brush look to them. :rotf2:

Dave Skok's Mushmouth - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQiuv0kUtsI)

PRBuzz
04-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Niko: once you get some flies you'll need to know how to cast that funny pole, so here's something that may help:

Hank Patterson "Snap it" Competition - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ0s8SGDUpM&feature=share&list=UUGNuUH0PA4_bFdp2IQedUtg)

This is via a site member BassNewbie.

:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2: