View Full Version : Handheld waterproof VHF radio

NilsC
06-09-2003, 09:24 AM
This post is toned down, it's not accurately reflecting my state of mind.... postal is more like it.

I need to invest in a VHF radio to use while fishing from my yak. This weekend I had the upleasant experience of "Gun and Run" (Or flip the yak) from a boat registered in CT. (I did not get the # except for the CT part, I would call the coast guard and police if I did).

I had a fish on after following birds and bait for a couple of hrs. Reeling in the fish the boat is comming up on me from behind at full speed, passing less than 10' from me, or throwing distance of an empty bottle of BUD Lite. The bottle bounced of the front of the yak scaring the sh*t out of me then cut in front of me close enough to cut the line. I lost fish and a nice lure.... grrrrrrr. The wake from the boat were close to upend me and I had a hard time not rolling the yak.

Sooooo, since I can't get torpedo lauchers for the yak, a radio would be the next best. I could call other people fishing to see if they got his lic# (there where 25 -30 boats fishing for fluke less than 1/2 mile away.)

Back to the original question, any suggestion on what VHF radio to get would be appreciated (handheld).

Nils

Raven
06-09-2003, 09:44 AM
it was a pair of binoculars on that tv ->sales show - but i'm not remembering the exact name at the moment...ok?...maybe it the home shopping channel.....anyways within the binoculars was a digital camera and i thought the combination was perfect. Not only for photographing people who drive their boats to endanger other people who are totally resposible for their wake and any damages as a result of them.This would go a long way to capture the look of the operator, boat,registration numbers and or boat names. Its time to get these inconsiderate
bastards off the water.:af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af:

Van
06-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Are you serious?
This guy actually threw a bottle at you?

Even without the radio, get his numbers and boat name and report him when you get back.

There is no rule in open water about slowing for other craft, but common curtiosy does apply. SOME PEOPLE ARE FRIGGIN MORONS.

Last season, while putting along in the "no wake" zone, a 30+ footer ahead of my 21 and to my starboard side made an abrupt hard turn port, cut me off so bad I had to hit rev to stop my forward motion, or CRASH. Then did the same to the kayak on the other side of me. he never even looked b4 turning. I was fuming made as was the yaker'. I was going to follow him to his marina and chew him out in front of his "dock mates", to embarrass him, but I let it go, I figured it just was not worth the aggravation. .:af: :af: :af:

Oh Sorry as for you question.

any hand held would be fine, one with Ni-Cd batteries is better, but the batts don't last too long, a couple of seasons (unless you take real good care of them). Get one of those water-proof floating bags for it too. A guy a work here is a yaker' I'll ask him too.

Fishpart
06-09-2003, 10:11 AM
The HK 91 would be appropriate in a situation like that. Who needs a radio???

NilsC
06-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Raven, he was close enough for me not to need binoculars...

Van, I did get only the CT, part. Could not see any name or the rest of the number. I was not paying attention to them until they passed me and the bottle bounced of the front. After that I was trying to stay upright and not tip the yak.

Fishpart, I need one mounted on the yak...

As I said, with a radio I may have been able to alert other boaters and got the lic# that way. I thought CT had a no alcohol law for boaters?

Nils

Van
06-09-2003, 10:29 AM
I think most states have a "no alcohol" law...

What they need is a "must have brain" law.....:smash: :smash:

Glad you were OK, he coulda tipped you, but would have kept going anyway.

Scotch Bonnet
06-09-2003, 10:58 AM
You'll never stop the chaos with boating. Too many morons with boats. Nils, how about a flair gun. When you feel your in danger fire it at the bast.........aahhh up in the air.:eek:

You shoulda went to the pond, you know?

Raven
06-09-2003, 01:57 PM
a bang stick tied to a harpoon suitable for blowing a hole in any boat that tries to run me down at sea-> if done deliberately. :af:

and Van if you "had" stopped to "chew out" that guy you might have saved someone else from his future mindless acts of aggression and stupidity. Just keep your hands in your pockets. :)

I was lake fishin one day with my wife in the boat as well and i had a guy suddenly ZOOM around us with his oversized boat just to make sure he'd beat us and my trolling motor to a favorite spot i was heading for. Not only did we almost get capsized in his wake i imediately motored over to him and started telling him what a total jerk he was from ten feet away. Seeing that he now had a Scottish Barbarian on his hands he just chose to ignore me.

In less than ten minutes i was at the Department of Fish and Game filling out a complaint form in triplicate so that his violation would be on record. All he had to do was say he was "Sorry" and that was to much to ask. All boaters are responsible for their wake whether its intentionally used to swamp someone else or purely by accident causes harm.......it amounts to the same thing.
Responsibilty for your own Actions.:liquify: :musc:

Van
06-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Raven:
Believe me I have chewed out many-a-boater in my 30 years of boating.
But a nasty confrontation with my son on board was just not called for in this situation.

They always have some excuse or just lie like hell.

If I stopped to chew out every bone headed, bafoon, brain dead boater I would never get out of the river never mind have time to fish.

I gonna compile all my stories take pictures and write a book someday on the hidden DANGERS of Boaters (I mean boating).;)

Raven
06-09-2003, 07:28 PM
I didnt mean to insult your honor Van and i knew there had to be a good reason....and i understand completely that its not a great idea to show a bad example in front of your son for sure. I just get fired up when people in boats do things they'd never dare to do in cars as if the rules of courtesy suddenly have changed.

May the winds be favorable for your fishing excursions and a bunch of bonehead boaters be no where in sight by a very strange miracle.:D

i always give people the bennefit of doubt.... but if they blindly
put myself or my loved ones in harms way even for a moment well they have just lit my fuse and i'm on my-> way-> to see them.

As long as they acknowledge their error and say like: hey man i'm real sorry: or similar i calm right down. But if they just dont give a damn then its their time to learn a lesson and i'm the teacher.

thats all.:cool:

Van
06-10-2003, 07:26 AM
Copy that !!!

jeffsod
06-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Standard Horizon makes one of the best vhf's and they have a submersible handheld for about 170.00. I used to subscibe to the boaters consumer reports (forget the name of the pub. off hand) and they liked that model.

NilsC
06-10-2003, 02:24 PM
I was looking at this one, cheap. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=296&item=3026016446
How are the quality? anyone here that use this radio?

Nils

Raven
06-10-2003, 02:34 PM
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/search_results.asp?iLevel=2&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&CatSource=11.19.2&txtsearchParamCat=11&subcat=19&txtCatName=2&x=21&y=10

look at these ^^^^totally water proof handheld radios:D