View Full Version : Long cast obsession

Hardcore
03-27-2013, 01:27 PM
What is it with this obsession?

It seems to me that people can't seem to get over the distance casting thing. Most of my memorable fish have been caught in tight. On a big profile plug that casts like crap. Big metal lips for the most part don't cast very far, rigged eels cast father than live on ones but won't win a casting competition.
Most people justify their distance obsession with " covering more water" but I think that's balony. If the fish are 50 yards out 100 yd. cast won't produce more fish.

What are your thoughts ??

Rappin Mikey
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Depends on where you are. If you are fishing a river, and know that the fish hold on the opposite shore (but there is no access to that spot), a long cast is needed. Some places on the outter Cape hape drop offs/ledges that hold fish that can only be reached with a long cast. Some structure that holds fish can only be reached with a long cast if you don't wetsuit.

Sea Dangles
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Do what makes you happy,plenty of times the fish are out further than I can cast.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bloocrab
03-27-2013, 01:36 PM
It basically adds one more thing to your arsenal. You may not always need it, but knowing you have it when and if you need it, can make the difference in catching or watching sometimes.

Ask the guys who can't reach them when they're breaking mid-Canal. :wave:

For some, it may just be a "stronger-than-you" mindset...switching the "stronger" attribute to a "casting farther" than you thing.

When fishing from shore, who in their right mind would want to be handi-capped with not being able to long-cast? I sure wouldn't. Whether or not I need it, I take comfort in knowing it's there. Just my opinion.

Boating guys are the ones who should really be worried about this though.

bloocrab
03-27-2013, 01:38 PM
...plenty of times the fish are out further than I can cast...

That's exactly what I tell myself when I go home skunked, "they were here, I just couldn't reach em"....:rotf2:

JohnnyD
03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Just because you have the ability to cast past the middle of the canal, doesn't mean you always will.

I'd rather have the ability to cast out as far as I need to and not necessarily need to always do so, than need to get out an extra 10-20 yards and not be able to.

Fishoholic
03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
The canal is the only place I fish where distance sometimes matters.

Sgt Striper
03-27-2013, 01:56 PM
It basically adds one more thing to your arsenal. You may not always need it, but knowing you have it when and if you need it, can make the difference in catching or watching sometimes.

Ask the guys who can't reach them when they're breaking mid-Canal. :wave:

For some, it may just be a "stronger-than-you" mindset...switching the "stronger" attribute to a "casting farther" than you thing.

When fishing from shore, who in their right mind would want to be handi-capped with not being able to long-cast? I sure wouldn't. Whether or not I need it, I take comfort in knowing it's there. Just my opinion.

Boating guys are the ones who should really be worried about this though.

Exactly!!! Here in Jersey the fall of 2011 we had a sand eel bite that lasted something like 24 straight days!! If you could not cast at least 75 yards you might as well have gone home. I fished about 20 of those days and I can tell you the bigger fish were the farthest out!! You need to be prepared for any situation with not only what is in your bag but a way to deliver them.

JackK
03-27-2013, 02:00 PM
And some of those fish that bite in tight may have been following from quite far out. They just decided to commit when it looked like the prey had a chance of escaping.

IMO a long cast allows more time for your offering to be in the water, therefore allowing for more exposure to fish. Now, if there's a giant blitz 50 yards offshore and you're casting 100... That's foolish. But in normal fishing situations if I'm not targeting a specific piece of structure a long cast is what's used.

bloocrab
03-27-2013, 02:10 PM
It does suck when a blitz erupts to the far right of where you just dumped out your spool....:D....and now your cranking like a S.O.B. just to cast again because you think they're heading in the other direction.
Fishing is so much fun, isn't it?

JohnnySaxatilis
03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
especially in heavy onshore wind situations. Like west dennis last year during the insane bluefish action. 30+mph winds I was one of the only ppl hooking up every cast while everyone else was watching in horror. Course its a clown show down there and I had lefthook pilgrim LOL but just another example of distance matters

tysdad115
03-27-2013, 02:19 PM

It seems to me that people can't seem to get over the distance casting thing. .

What are your thoughts ??

Because I can ! :rotf2:

It really depends on what your fishing with vs. where the fish are. There are times when a long cast is absolutely necessary, and being the only one hooking up cast after cast when no one else is close to reaching them is actually fun. Then again there are times when you only cast far enough to let your lure reach the end of the rip you want to bring your lure into. I would rather have the ability to reach beyond other's capabilities incase the fish are there.

fishbones
03-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Casting really far is great if you're in a casting competition. If you're looking to catch fish, it's not as important as you think.

Jackbass
03-27-2013, 02:28 PM
I have seen a number of situations where a long cast aided someone. There are occasions where big bass are out past Blues. Mid way at the canal is the classic example however.

piemma
03-27-2013, 03:36 PM

And the operative word here is sometimes. I have caught just as many big fish in the canal at the end of my drift right along the bank as in the middle. Granted it's always a night bite on eels.

JohnnyD
03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
especially in heavy onshore wind situations. Like west dennis last year during the insane bluefish action. 30+mph winds I was one of the only ppl hooking up every cast while everyone else was watching in horror. Course its a clown show down there and I had lefthook pilgrim LOL but just another example of distance matters
This happens frequently on the Race. 10 yards could be the difference between hooking up every cast and hooking up every 3-4 casts.

Makai has a perfect setup and technique to easily get out 15-25yrds further than all the rest of us. During those strong 25-30kt blows, he's usually hooks up twice as much. We've noticed that hookup rates sometimes trickle off based on casting distance. The guy who can cast next furthest hooks up 2nd most and so on.

I've even found it in my own casts at times. During times when distance matters, I've noticed a stark contrast between casts that whistle out there and casts where the plug tumbles and falls short.

Confirmation bias maybe, but 90% of what we talk about here could be called that as well.

nightfighter
03-27-2013, 04:00 PM
I cast much farther at night......

Rockport24
03-27-2013, 04:07 PM
dude it's fishing, don't you know that bigger, further and better than the next guy is all that matters in the end? :D

FishermanTim
03-27-2013, 04:17 PM
I doesn't matter where you are fishing, when you start, what species you are after or what tackle you are using.....the fish will ALWAYS be breaking just beyond you farthest reach! :biglaugh:

ivanputski
03-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Funny observation:

Surf guys swim out and cast as far as possible..

Boat guys will motor in dangerously close to where we stand and cast an eel
"in tight" basically landing where we are standing.

Stewie
03-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Someday, I want to be able to cast a jointed danny all the way across the canal, against a headwind. Then I'll be able to tell you if it matters or not. Most of the guys I fish with use big fancy spinning rigs and can outcast my dinosaur conventional stuff by a lot. They catch more too. But that might just be because I am a lousy fisherman. :wall:

1dozenraw
03-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Here's what some of us do... we wade out to a boulder and climb up on it. The flat surface on the top of said boulder is about a size 13. I wear a size 11 so I'm good. Waves break and hit my knees and send me slightly off balance... and that's when I'm just standing there. Now I lean into a cast... well I really don't lean into it because that would through me off the rock... I lean way back and really wind up and... well not really because I feel like I'm going over backwards when I lean too far back, and that makes me back off... so I really snap a good cast... but I make sure I keep my feet close together so I don't slip and of course I don't move them or change mt stance (because I can't)... But, I get out there pretty good. You add that distance to the 10 -15 yards the boulder is out into the surf and that's pretty far.

Of course when I was standing solid on the sand, in smaller surf, feet spread going through the full range casting motion leaning way back and really loading the rod up, I was getting out just as for or maybe, just maybe.... well standing on that boulder makes me feel more like I am "at one with the fish". So I do it and it makes me happy.

Hardcore
03-27-2013, 06:31 PM
I forgot a lot of you guys fish the canal. One of the few places where distance does matter. I usually swim out to a rock to cut out the requirement of casting long distances.
I was able to hit the canal for the fist time last year and could deffinately see the advantage of making the most of your cast.

Saltheart
03-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Just cause you are able to doesn't mean you need to but needing to and not being able to is a handicap. So....best to be able to. :)

Spiderman
03-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Down here on Long Island there are many spots where if you're not reaching the rip, you're not catching fish. It doesnt seem as necessary in places like Cutty or Block where swimming skills are more important.

Stewie
03-27-2013, 07:26 PM
I know what could be in that water, you will not see me swim. :err:

zimmy
03-27-2013, 08:08 PM

I would like to add that it is winter for 6 months of the year and the more there is to obsess about, the easier it is to make it til the shadblow blooms.

Mike P
03-27-2013, 08:20 PM

I've fished in a lot of places where distance matters quite often---even at night. The Vineyard, Montauk, LI's inlets. As well as the Canal. I can cast better than 90% of the guys who fish the Canal. The other 10% tend to catch a few more fish than I do. The guys who can hit a 3' circle at 90 yards, consistently, catch the most fish there. Casting long is only half of the equation. Accuracy means as much if not more, even at short range, when it comes to casting at breaking fish.

Distance counts even at night, throwing jigs, in quite a few places along the canal

Abodeon
03-27-2013, 09:19 PM
I find that casting a lightweight lure an extra 5 or 10 yards is much more important than being able to cast a 3 1/2 oz pencil 110 yards instead of 90.

tysdad115
03-27-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm just happy when I don't cast the eel or plug off..they all seem to really fly when the damn line snaps

Fishoholic
03-27-2013, 10:06 PM
I've fished in a lot of places where distance matters quite often---even at night. The Vineyard, Montauk, LI's inlets. As well as the Canal. I can cast better than 90% of the guys who fish the Canal. The other 10% tend to catch a few more fish than I do. The guys who can hit a 3' circle at 90 yards, consistently, catch the most fish there. Casting long is only half of the equation. Accuracy means as much if not more, even at short range, when it comes to casting at breaking fish.

Distance counts even at night, throwing jigs, in quite a few places along the canal

I take that back, there are 2 or 3 spots I fish, where a little "extra" is required to get where you need to be on a cast and just like you said, accuracy is most important. The canal is still the only place (for me personally) where if you aren't getting over 100 yards on a cast, no matter the accuracy, you aren't going to get as many or sometimes the bigger fish as the guys that are. Mike, I know you have been a local forever and have probably forgot more stuff about the ditch than I'll ever know. I'm just speaking personally :)

Mr. Sandman
03-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Mine is bigger than yours.

onecastmike2003
03-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Fan casting works better when the fish are on Your side :)

Pete_G
03-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Definitely a regional and/or situational element.

Newporters rarely get excited about distance. Mono is still in use by more then a few experienced surf fishermen who tend to put up the big numbers in town. One in particular has the most terrible casting skills you'll ever see but it doesn't slow him down.

I can think of a few spots here where the ability to cast far is really important to park a lure on a piece of structure, but mostly it's close quarters.

If you live where it matters, well, it matters...

JohnnySaxatilis
03-28-2013, 09:16 AM
The guys who can hit a 3' circle at 90 yards, consistently, catch the most fish there. Casting long is only half of the equation. Accuracy means as much if not more, even at short range, when it comes to casting at breaking fish.

Very true, somedays down there it seems they don't hit unless you land the damn thing right in their gaping mouths.:biglaugh:

N.ShoreFisher
03-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Most of the areas I fish in are so tight, that being off a foot will land my offering on a deck, sidewalk, boat, or rocks. I fish at night, close to shore so don't need as much of the distance as guys fishing first light or mid day down at the canal. Half the time, the fish are either directly below my feet or within 20 ft. Guess I luck out that way.

MAKAI
03-28-2013, 09:25 AM
I practice distance and accuracy by casting at seal heads bobbing in the water. Sounds like hitting a coconut.

ThrowingTimber
03-28-2013, 09:34 AM
I cast short if I see obvious signs of life directly in front of me. I would rather work a larger area and then dial in to a smaller area if necessary. Think of it like a search grid :) that's when plugging. Fishing eels I swim out to a rock hook an eel and take the line off the roller and BOOM COW TIME. right at my feet everytime!!! I joke, I cast those as far as I can as well.

Mike P
03-28-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm just happy when I don't cast the eel or plug off..they all seem to really fly when the damn line snaps

There's no scarier sound on the Canal than hearing "SNAP!!!" when you know that you're directly across the Canal from Slipknot. :rotf2:

Rockfish9
03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
If i had a dollar for every time i saw people casting beyond the feeding fish... I'd retire right now... that being said.... who says you can't cast paralell to the beach....It's worked well for me...and as others have said.. all depends on where you are fishing....favorable water may be a long cast away.

stripermaineiac
03-28-2013, 06:39 PM
LOL I'm picturing someone casting along the shore in the ditch on any morning good tide or not LOL pricless. That's for night time only LOL

Slipknot
03-28-2013, 06:48 PM
There's no scarier sound on the Canal than hearing "SNAP!!!" when you know that you're directly across the Canal from Slipknot. :rotf2:

exactly what I was thinking Mike, when I read that also. :hidin:

FORE!

HugeDinghy
03-29-2013, 07:16 AM
anything and everything is important at some point.

ThrowingTimber
03-29-2013, 02:07 PM
or hearing slip bomb eelskins directly at you all night :(

stripermaineiac
03-29-2013, 03:38 PM
No matter how far I cast the fish always seem to break right in front of me when I get a good cast way out there where the fish just broke an swam away from my plug LOL

Mike P
03-30-2013, 09:31 AM
exactly what I was thinking Mike, when I read that also. :hidin:

FORE!

It landed about 50' to my left, 10' from the rocks. :biglaugh: