View Full Version : Herring

Nebe
04-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I have seen more herring this year than any time in my life. I'm not saying where, but its incredible. I've been volunteering to help net them and get them up over the ladder. 6,000 fish were moved yesterday in under an hour.

The moratorium is certainly helping. And I bet that the pair trawler ban in RI waters has helped too.

Amazing little fish.

PI guy
04-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Good stuff!!! We're still waiting up here on the North Shore but it should be any day now, hopefully we see the same results!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

FishermanTim
04-15-2013, 12:19 PM
It sure does "look" good, but I wouldn't be betting on the moratorium being lifted anytime in our lifetime due to how "the system" works.

I would expect a moratorium on the use of eels, mackerel, scup, black sea bass, fluke and flounders well before anything would be even considered to review and reversal.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but I won't be ditching my artificials just yet.

Keep in mind that the moratorium didn't effect the trawlers that were hauling pre-spawn herring along with the ocean herring, so any rebound in the species does point in the right direction.

fishsmith
04-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Amazing little fish.

Yes they are, all the way up the coast to a New england lake or pond. Very cool.

... I do miss sticking a hook in them.

jonserfish
04-15-2013, 06:33 PM
cool to hear

WESTPORTMAFIA
04-15-2013, 06:52 PM
I have seen more herring this year than any time in my life. I'm not saying where, but its incredible. I've been volunteering to help net them and get them up over the ladder. 6,000 fish were moved yesterday in under an hour.

The moratorium is certainly helping. And I bet that the pair trawler ban in RI waters has helped too.

Amazing little fish.

Why don't they make a better ladder?

Abodeon
04-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Great news. Never hooked a herring on my line. Like the challenge of artificials. Even if they lift the moratorium I'll let the little guys fear only the bassoon their own.

Nebe
04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Why don't they make a better ladder?

They are going to fix it this winter hopefully.

bostonharbor
04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
No sign of herring at two Boston locations yesterday.Water temp. Was 46.2 at one.

cow tamer
04-16-2013, 05:35 AM
I've been volunteering to help net them and get them up over the ladder. 6,000 fish were moved yesterday in under an hour.

Talk about catch and release !!

Nebe
04-16-2013, 06:17 AM

PRBuzz
04-16-2013, 07:04 AM
No sign of herring at two Boston locations yesterday.Water temp. Was 46.2 at one.

No sign of fish in Boston Harbor yesterday! Throughout the harbor temps ranged from 43-45d.

Nebe
04-16-2013, 07:09 AM
I think water temps are over rated in determining when fish will "arrive". If anything, water temps will indicate if they are going to feed or not feed if they are already there. We had such a cold winter and the schoolies showed up in south county right on time. Who knows????

Dick Durand
04-17-2013, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE=Nebe;994696]I have seen more herring this year than any time in my life. I'm not saying where, but its incredible. I've been volunteering to help net them and get them up over the ladder. 6,000 fish were moved yesterday in under an hour.

I've heard that estimates of 34.000 herring have been lifted over dams in that river. Volunteer weekend work is complemented during the week by DEM, which trucks some of the fish to another pond in an effort to bolster another run.

Nebe
04-17-2013, 07:04 AM
That's correct.

Redsoxticket
04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
How long do the adult herring stay in the ponds after their arrival and when do they start to drop?

Rockfish9
04-18-2013, 11:55 AM
I think water temps are over rated in determining when fish will "arrive". If anything, water temps will indicate if they are going to feed or not feed if they are already there. We had such a cold winter and the schoolies showed up in south county right on time. Who knows????

glad I'm not the only one saying this.... same goes in the fall... day light rules all migrating creatures.. temps control feeding urges in the cold blooded ones..

Nebe
04-18-2013, 12:23 PM
I think the moon is just important.

Rockfish9
04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I think the moon is just important.

once again... couldn't agree more.:fishin:

Raven
04-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile MOON device

ya'll need Sy Robertson to come up cheer and shows you
how it's done.

Hey !
over in Vietnam he lifted a whole brigade a fish single handed. :rotf2:

Sundowner
04-19-2013, 04:46 PM
the dam I'm helping out at has already or just about to surpass the total lifted last year. They are still stacked way up.