View Full Version : Cod reports?

nightfighter
04-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Back to fishing....any cod reports?

Headed out tomorrow at 0600. Not liking the wind, sea, and temperature combination... but that is the current plan. Big slow comm lobster Novi. No rod holders.

niko
04-20-2013, 07:21 PM
good luck ross. i'm hoping to get out later this week.

nightfighter
04-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Brought some cod home.... Had to work to find them. Was bitter cold this morning before the wind died down. Good to get out. Wish the water stayed this clean and clear all season long....

fishsmith
04-21-2013, 06:53 PM
1st cod report, good to hear they're still out there. Enjoy your supper. It was damn cold in my back yard, musta been real chilly at sea.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

N.ShoreFisher
04-22-2013, 12:10 PM
I was wondering if you ended up going out. Your arms sore from holding the rods? lol

Fly Rod
04-22-2013, 01:52 PM
My understanding is that there was some cod caught on Jefferies ....Straw Hat....:)

FishNH
04-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Jefferies ledge has a mix of cod, haddock and pollock happening

niko
04-22-2013, 04:32 PM
thinking of going friday - any of the boats doing better than others dave?

Slick Moedee
04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Did some full contact fishing on one of the Yankee boats yesterday. My buddy and I did better than most w/12 fish among the two of us. All on jigs. Not bad give 60 on the boat and it was rental rod row all to our left... All fish would have been short under the previous size limit.

nightfighter
04-22-2013, 05:51 PM
My day was good, but I was continually lowering my expectations from the get go.... No one at the dock when I got there. OK. I can deal. We get underway after storing bags, gear, and laying rods on bait totes. No rod holders, remember? Dry stack diesel aroma was garnished by a toted of week old pogies... Still going with the flow. Stiff wind was helping with the stink. Did I mention I was headed out on a slow boat? Check. Was mentally prepared. Scratch east of the bank and Jeffries off the wish list. But what was challenging for me to deal with was that this commercial friend, long a fulltime multi species commercial fisherman did not have a gps or a chart... He did have a handheld something or other with a screen smaller than my dumb flip phone. It was never a player. Big old Lowrance depth sounder was what we had... so a lot of time lining up what I thought were my sight lines with the depth. A gps would have told me exactly where to have him put the boat to drift the ledges and hard bottom areas I would have targeted. I tried to convince him to get a cheap gps, but he wouldn't have any of it yesterday. He is a friend, so I won't dump on him. But really???? That is an essential necessary tool for a fishing boat that is a working boat IMHO. Gonna try to talk to him again as I think he will pay for it with fuel saving by being able to go directly to where his gear is. He has two trawls out there he can't locate, at probably a thousand bucks a piece.:smash: So at the end of the day, coming home with fish was a win. (I can't wait to get my own rig in next month...)

thefishingfreak
04-23-2013, 04:38 PM
That's the hard way for sure.

Big Biscuit
04-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Fished off the east side of stellwagen bank. One hell of a ride out there Sunday morning. Two of our party of six were down for the count. Poor bastards. At least it laid down by 10:00am. Our first two stops were a slow pick of keeper cod. Then we made a ten minute move and bam we were on them. Caught our limit and then made a slow steam back to Green harbor. My buddy John caught the only haddock of the day.

ThrowingTimber
04-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Can't wait to get out there!