View Full Version : Hows this for slick ?

Raider Ronnie
05-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Been doing some major renovations on my BHM since I hauled out in November.
Deck & scuppers were low making for a wet deck & had enough with that !
Raised the height 4-5 inches.
Lost over 800 lbs of wood & replaced with all composite masterials that are lighter, stronger & most important will never absorb water or moisture, only down side, a LOT more $ than wood :-(
Cut in a walk thru transom door.
Had my 2 fuel tanks enlarged from 70 gallons to 115 each.
Ripped livewell out from transom and built new insulated below deck livewell a lot more forward, shifting weight both lower center of gravity & more mid ship.
2 (180 QT) below deck insulated fish holds. (no more deck coolers or Bonar box necessary taking up deck space)
Gutted most of the cockpit gunwales & rebuild them. (Plenty of wet Balsa wet coring from the builder not decoring for rod holders & livewell in transom)
Coolest Idea I came up with is hide away transom controls to drive the boat from the stern, and hide when I don't want it exposed (charter customers playing with them)

bobber
05-05-2013, 11:32 PM
sounds like you dropped some serious coin doing boat work...... should be nice when its in the water!

Raider Ronnie
05-06-2013, 06:03 AM
sounds like you dropped some serious coin doing boat work...... should be nice when its in the water!

I've spent a bit but certainly not even close to what I would have to if I were paying someone or a shop to do the work.

:uhuh:

MakoMike
05-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Very nice Ron. How did you get the stern controls recessed like that?

Raider Ronnie
05-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Very nice Ron. How did you get the stern controls recessed like that?

Italian/American ingenuity
:cool:

After I'm done putting the deck down I'll build a 20in wide x 10in deep box built around it, below the combing height, both to close it in and as one of the air boxes getting air into the bilge for the diesel engine to breathe.

Raven
05-07-2013, 04:52 AM
600 lbs removed
90 gallons of fuel added
equals how much weight change?
some great ideas there

Raider Ronnie
05-07-2013, 08:47 AM
600 lbs removed
90 gallons of fuel added
equals how much weight change?
some great ideas there

Who said the tanks will be filled smart guy ?
Also weight shifted lower center of gravity and mid ship much better for stability than near the stern.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
05-07-2013, 09:27 AM
My question was in hypothetical form
thinking with full tanks ....
and the weight reduced structurally
you still weighed the same
or less than before was all...

which is a good thing...

especially if you had a very Large Tuna
on deck

Mr. Sandman
05-07-2013, 09:38 AM
I love the aft controls. How was it hooking it into the system? Is there a separate hydraulic pump for the aft set up? Is that push button steering I see?

Nice work as always.

thefishingfreak
05-07-2013, 12:03 PM
NOw you can drive from the stern, While I'm inside with the doors closed & the heat on

Raider Ronnie
05-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Sorry if I came across the wrong way.
As Downeast boats go BHM are know for carrying weight more than others.
Wide beam that is carried to the stern.
Downside of its ability to carry more weight that others is its no speed demon.
Enlarging the tanks (by 1/3) was a no brainier since I raised the deck 4-5 inches. Doesn't mean I plan to fill all the time. But say I want to run to Chatham or North to Jefferies I would much rather out the additional fuel in the tanks rather than jugs or barrels on the deck which are an accident just waiting to happen.

QUOTE=Raven;997741]My question was in hypothetical form
thinking with full tanks ....
and the weight reduced structurally
you still weighed the same
or less than before was all...

which is a good thing...

especially if you had a very Large Tuna
on deck[/QUOTE]

Raider Ronnie
05-07-2013, 12:45 PM
The morse controls run from stern direct to engine & transmission through CableCraft cables.
The auto pilot jog/toggle controller plugs to Simnet board of the auto pilot. (Plug & play other that initial programming )
This controller has full auto pilot control function to navigate in auto or setting a chartotter waypoint) as well as the toggle to turn rudder left or right like having a steering wheel.

QUOTE=Mr. Sandman;997743]I love the aft controls. How was it hooking it into the system? Is there a separate hydraulic pump for the aft set up? Is that push button steering I see?

Nice work as always.[/QUOTE]

Raider Ronnie
05-07-2013, 12:47 PM
I hope to be driving backwards from there more than with the pointy end of the boat with that thing.

QUOTE=thefishingfreak;997762]NOw you can drive from the stern, While I'm inside with the doors closed & the heat on[/QUOTE]

timmah
05-09-2013, 09:22 AM
That is super slick.

taJon
05-09-2013, 03:21 PM
nice work Ron