View Full Version : Lathe replacement part help!

Zeal
05-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this, but to cut to the chase...

I have a Grizzly G9247 VS mini lathe, works great but unfortunately the lathe belt split apart down the middle around the entire belt.

Called the company, lathe is discontinued along with any replacement parts for it, searched online, went to numerous stores (vacuum, sewing machine places, etc.), all the stops. Thought I found a match in a store, but the teeth were not the same distance apart as the original belt and the width was half of it. Nothing is working out :cens:

So the belt has teeth (about 1/4" apart from each other and I counted 90 in total), made of some sort of plastic, stretches 8".

Anybody know another way to get this belt replaced?

The only suggestion that was given (which really would be a last resort) was to replace the sprockets with the teeth to sprockets that are flat and use flat rubber belts instead. I really do not want to tear apart this lathe because I think that it could be damaged that way.

Only other thing I can think of is that there may be a similar lathe out there with the same/similar belt but no dice from what I can see.

HELP :(

Raven
05-10-2013, 04:52 PM
you could take it to a auto parts store or better yet
a small engine repair shop (lawn mowers)
and they might find a close match
if you have some adjustment range on the lathe
that is... just an idea

Zeal
05-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Did the auto parts store, gave zilch, lawn mowers I'll give a shot..

Zeal
05-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Lawnmower belts were too big :(

Back to the drawing board with the option being left on the table replacing those sprockets...can it be done without messing up the lathe?

Raven
05-11-2013, 03:12 PM
google the lathe -look for blogs people asking and answering
the same questions...
also determine the part number of the belt
and search that also

Pete F.
05-13-2013, 07:02 PM
I would try here, you might need a good measuring device to figure it out.
https://sdp-si.com/index.asp

O.D. Mike
05-14-2013, 04:28 AM
Try McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#timing-belts/=mqs2u1)

Mugz
05-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Try McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#timing-belts/=mqs2u1)

Yes....on McMaster website search for adjustable V-belt.

Rockfish9
05-14-2013, 08:37 AM
McMaster Carr is a good bet... if you have no luck there... Kaman Technologies deals in belts, electric motors and bearings.... I've gotten amy odd belts from them for obsolete equiptment in the plant ...

Zeal
05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Wow, I already may have a match!

But the one thing that needs confirming is "Pitch" and "Pitch Length"

What is Pitch and Pitch Length?

Very appreciated!

Raven
05-16-2013, 06:25 AM
pitch is the measured angle or slope on a roof
a flat roof has zero pitch
an a-frame has the maximum pitch

so the Belt has an angle on the inner edge(s)
allowing it to ride snug on your pulley ...

has to sit (fit) correctly to maintain the right tension

just to give you an idea,,,

Zeal
05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
pitch is the measured angle or slope on a roof
a flat roof has zero pitch
an a-frame has the maximum pitch

so the Belt has an angle on the inner edge(s)
allowing it to ride snug on your pulley ...

has to sit (fit) correctly to maintain the right tension

just to give you an idea,,,

Well that brought me back down the math alley where I blocked out all those memories from school. Figured out all the dimensions (thanks Raven!) but now it showed me that so far I can only find one belt from McMaster-Carr that is CLOSE, but is 10 teeth short and SLIGHTLY wider :wall:

O.D. Mike
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Picture's work better for me....

What's the width of the belt?

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-180XL025-PowerGrip-Timing-Length/dp/B00CMI9ZA4/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1368737797&sr=1-3&keywords=1%2F4%22+pitch%2C+90+teeth%2C+timing+belt

leptar
05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
V-Belt Global Supply, LLC - Timing Belt2 (http://www.vbeltsupply.com/timingbelt2.html)

call them they might have something that will fit as they custom make belts.

Raven
05-16-2013, 08:04 PM
that was my next suggestion
but you can also look world wide

stripermaineiac
05-16-2013, 08:16 PM
There are several replacement part sites out there that will get you the true aftermarket part you looking for. Make tool repairs much easier. With my jet,delta an so on Ive found them to be very helpfull.

m+mhammer
06-05-2013, 10:46 PM
After I read your thread. I went to the Jet web sight to check on a belt for my lathe. They do not list it on line. They still make the model I have.So i'm sure they are available. I did not call there parts dept. I ordered 2 from Replacementparts. com. took a couple of weeks to get them but they are the same as factory one. hope this helps you out. Mike.

ThrowingTimber
06-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Replace the drive motor and sprockets belts etc. to that of a lathe the maker hasn't discontinued. While you're at it order a couple extra belts :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
07-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Replace the drive motor and sprockets belts etc. to that of a lathe the maker hasn't discontinued. While you're at it order a couple extra belts :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

That's what I would do!