View Full Version : Small Motor Opinions

bloocrab
05-11-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm in the market for a new 15HP Electric-Start

I've narrowed my prospects to Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Evinrude
I've done quite a bit of research but sometimes that only confuses me more. You can't beat actual experience....does anybody have any experience with fairly newer models? Any thoughts on the direction one should go? What you would have done if you knew kind of stuff??

Carburetored ....Non-Carburetored??
2 Stroke ........4 stroke??
Pros - cons based on your personal or non-personal experience??
Possibly put some electronics at some point?? Depth-finder or something...my back definitely needs elec. though

Cost-wise, Suzuki seems decent, although I'm not sure on the Non-Carb vs. Carb??

Yamaha is Yamaha I think?? should be good???

Based on what I read about Honda, it seems to lead the pack though???

Always a bunch of knowledgeable folk in here...Thanks in advance ~

Hookedagain
05-11-2013, 09:54 PM
I also am looking for another outboard. I have been talking with a few guys that always swore by Honda, and now runs a Tohatsu. They are pretty nice. 20 and above are EFI and all have a 5 year warranty. Bibeau's in Dartmouth has a 2013 20 hp, 4 stroke, tiller, electric start on the floor right now for $2900. I am looking for a used motor as I can't afford a new one. (Somewhere between 20-35 hp)

MakoMike
05-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Think about whether you want a 15 or a 9.9. Many say that the 9.9 is really 15 HP but you can use it on lakes where outboard use is restricted to motors less than 10 HP.

Slipknot
05-12-2013, 07:51 AM
I have a Honda but it's not a newer model, 1997 and it looks and runs great, a pull start but that has never been a problem. Mine is a 9.9 but someday I hope to be able to get the jets for a 15 and make it a 15hp.
I like the 4 stroke, just be sure to use a good quality fuel/water separator filter. The gas these days wrecks lots of parts, maybe go fuel injection if you can, don't know if that is better though.
good luck

ProfessorM
05-12-2013, 12:11 PM
What size boat?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bloocrab
05-12-2013, 07:17 PM
It's for a 13' Dory. I have a 15horse Johnson on it now, but it continues to try my patience....rowing back from the Azores each time out is starting to take its toll. Not having small-engine experience forces my mechanic to see it more than I'd like. With the arrival of the Pookagan (which I swear I could smell earlier this week), I need something sooooon!!!

Suzuki prices aren't that much cheaper but they do offer the EFI as opposed to a carburetor??
I suppose in the long run it'll come down to my maintaining it and getting lucky with whatever I purchase. I'm just trying to make the best decision before dumping 3G's into something...

ProfessorM
05-12-2013, 07:39 PM
the reason I ask is a 4 stroke is heavy. I have a 14 tin boat and I started out with a 9.9 2 stroke in 1987. I eventually blew that up and bought a 15 Johnson 2 stroke in 1999 and still have that, although it is getting tired and have been thinking of replacing it in the next year or 2. My next will be a 25 I think as I just have to rev the 15 so much to go fast as I want to get to areas so I think I'd rather have a 25 that I don't have to beat so much to go to and fro, chasing albies all around and other inshore fishing. I like the 2 stroke becasue of the weight of the motors and I can also do the maintenance on them. I also own a Honda 90 on a larger boat and I luv that too, although I don't do as much maintenance on that. It costs me more in that area. I want to look into maybe an e tec if they make a 25 for my tin boat but don't know about the weight issue. All the above manufactures you mentioned are good and I know guys that swear by each of them. Good luck in your decision and IMO get as much HP as your boat can handle so you don't have to beat it as much. Paul

bloocrab
05-12-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm actually going to meet up with the builders tomorrow to find out what my limits should be. I talked to Ms. Reid yesterday and she said to come on down, they're going to check the integrity of the hull as well...I had thought about kicking it up to a 20hp, but like you...have weight concerns (as well as it just being too much) It don't make sense to put a hemi in hyundai right...:D.

ProfessorM
05-12-2013, 08:20 PM
LOL. Yeah, but if you can handle the extra HP you won't beat the motor so much and it will last longer, but I have beat my 15 Johnson pretty good so far and it has served me well so I would not be against buying another Johnson either. Always fun getting a new engine after having something that is on it's last legs.

bloocrab
05-13-2013, 04:20 PM
OK, sounds like the linkage was fouled up somehow which was bogging down the motor....mechanic swears she's a work-horse and that I should reconsider my plan on repowering her... :confused: ...I do trust him, so here we go againnnnnnnnnnn....maybe I should just invest in a cheap trolling motor for emergencies.

Dang boats, ALL the sayings are true!!! Best one being....

"What's better than having a boat?.....A good friend that owns one!!".....except when they text you and attach pictures of fish, while your stuck working on yours...:wall:

Thanks for all the input guys. It was very helpful.