View Full Version : Power Pro / Spiderwire

Tattoo
06-12-2003, 06:11 AM
Been using the Spiderwire Stealth 50 for a few weeks now. It's ok, but not what I expected. Saw some PowerPro 50 spooled up on a reel, a lot thinner, seemed more limp as well.

Any input? our output?

Power Pro still known for is "all of a sudden" break off's?

beachwalker
06-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Tattoo,

I haven't yet tried it myself because EVERYTIME a friend get's the brain working too hard and decides to spool up with some of these latest, greatest lines they end up with a nest and are unable to fish that reel until they cah re-spool it.
I have been sticking with Stren or Andie. It works as I am sure you know.

If it ain't broke, why fix it ?

Can you help me choose some of your amazing plugs ? I live over on the sandbar and have never used them. Only seen photos of them here and they are absolutely gorgeous !

Cheers

jettyjockey18
06-12-2003, 07:00 AM
i've been using the 50lb stealth and to be honest the jury is still out on this "new and improved" braid...

65lb whiplash worked flawlessly on my nautil...i've had a couple of birds nests with the stealth already and the 50lb stealth is waaay thicker than the 65lb whiplash...
:confused:

maybe i'll like this braid more if i actually start to catch some fish...:o

MarkL
06-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Hey Tatto, I still have 65# Whiplash on my Nautil 7500 and was gonna buy some SWS this weekend. While I love Whiplash for its castability and have never had a wind not with it, the stuff is killin me around rocks. I know no line likes to be dragged across a rock but I believe it only marginally better than mono in that respect. How does the SWS rate for abrasion resistance versus Whiplash?

bassmaster
06-12-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by beachwalker
Tattoo,

I haven't yet tried it myself because EVERYTIME a friend get's the brain working too hard and decides to spool up with some of these latest, greatest lines they end up with a nest and are unable to fish that reel until they cah re-spool it.
I have been sticking with Stren or Andie. It works as I am sure you know.

If it ain't broke, why fix it ?

Can you help me choose some of your amazing plugs ? I live over on the sandbar and have never used them. Only seen photos of them here and they are absolutely gorgeous !

Cheers
get his yellow darters U will kill them there

SeaWolf
06-12-2003, 08:49 AM
tat - i've heard more bad than good on the pp. i hated it on a fw outfit.

Fishaddict
06-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Have two 7000 Abu level winds. One spooled with 65lb PP, the other with 65lb Stealth. I like the PP on the level wind much better than the new stealth. The new stealth tends to dig into the spool a lot more than the PP... I'll stick with the PP this year..
Bob

Joe
06-12-2003, 10:40 AM
I just started using (and selling) Power Pro - So I guess that makes me "Pro-Power Pro" :p :p
I like it, but to each his own. The Power Pro website lists some tips that are very helpful.
http://www.powerpro.com/advantage/using.asp
I also listed some tips for using it.
http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/StoreImages/Tips.htm

With spinning, they suggest you close the bail manually (unless you using VS, which has no bail, of course) and pull the line tight before the retrieve, I guess the stuff can get loose after the cast and then you wind in the line over the loose wraps - this leads to the bird's nest problems.
Still, it is very popular and selling well locally. I think a big part of the problem is that the kids behind many counters just spool it and ring it up without a word of advice.

fishweewee
06-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Power Pro is okay on spinners, provided you take a few precautions:

1) Don't tie PP direct to mono/fluoro leader. Use a swivel.

2) Periodically unspool and re-spool line onto reel (say, every 4 trips). It's very soft stuff and if you don't watch it it'll start to kink, causing so-called wind knots.

3) Periodically cut back a few feet of the line to avoid breakoffs.

Power Pro for power casting on a conventional - not a good idea. Stiffer lines like Fireline or Whiplash/Spiderwire Stealth are better.

Power Pro is alright for bottom fishing (conventional) on a boat.

-WW

DaveS
06-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Hey Tattoo, 50# Power Pro is pretty good man it's what I got on all my spinners.

Notaro
06-12-2003, 03:01 PM
i just out 130 yards of 20 lbs of my BG treline for backing and attach it with 50 lbs (12 lbs diameter) spiderwire stealth to experiment big bo's words last post.
and i have noticed that every time it gets wet, it tend to look different. not smooth or silky. and my main concern is puting a WD-40 on it. shld i lubricate it and what about the big game i put for backing?

DaveS
06-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Believe it or not, I take my spools off the reel and blast the crap outa them with silicone spray, been doin it for years with braid and it keeps the line smoooooooooooth.

Notaro
06-12-2003, 03:36 PM
and where can i find this silcone spray? and do i have to take them off againa nd spray them with it? man, i wish that the braided line can be taken care of easily like mono with a simple spray of WD-40.

FresnoStriperman
06-13-2003, 12:33 AM
Power Pro from my experience isnt too pleasing. I recommend you stick with Fire Line....

FisherDan
06-13-2003, 12:59 AM
I've been using PowerPro and Whiplash for the past 2+ years, Fireline before that. Just recently picked up a couple of spools of Spiderwire Stealth 20 lb. (Don't need 65 lb. down here in NC - no rocks and few jetties down this way.)

Here are my thoughts so far:

Before putting it on my reel, I tested the SS for knot strength. I basically use just three knots on PE braided lines, a 50-turn Bimini, the offshore swivel or catspaw knot, and a knot that I stumbled on that I call the zig-zag. It is very similar to Crazy Alberto’s knot but the turns are interwoven. One of the nice features of the zig-zag is that it can be used to connect two Bimini loops and I use it for connecting to the backing. I also use it for attaching shock leaders and here I finish it by taking a couple of extra wraps through the shock leader loop, ala the improved Albright. To test knot and line strength, I use a Manley 50 lb. spring scale that I’ve beefed up a little to keep it from self-destructing when the line breaks. My apparatus is crude, but it gives me a rough comparison of the knot strength of various knots and different brands of braid. All three knots tested above 28 pounds on my scale. The Biminis, and zig-zag shock leader knot consistently tested above 30 pounds. The strength of the line is impressive. I think that the Teflon coating may be a factor in the excellent knot strength. The knots are all much easier to tighten that the same knots using PowerPro. This also may be a factor in the consistency of the knot strength with SS vs. PP. I get varying results with PowerPro - some test above the published line rating some well below. With stealth knots are consistently well above the rated strength.

Next I checked the diameter with a dial caliper. To avoid crushing the line, I opened the jaws at different widths and just slipped the line into the slot. At 0.0105 inch it slips through easily with little or no contact. At 0.0095 it slips through with just a slight amount of drag. My estimate is that the diameter is about 0.010 +/-. I peg it at 0.25 mm. I think this is actually about 8 lb. diameter, maybe a little thicker, not the advertised 6 lb. diameter that the manufacturer claims, but still not too bad.

It’s unfortunate that Spiderwire has understated the line diameter and understated the line strength. If you are having problems loading your reel with enough SS line, you may consider stepping down to the next lower lb. test. I would say that 20 lb. Stealth is the equivalent of 30 lb. PowerPro in diameter and strength. Can’t speak to 30, 50, 65 lb. Stealth diameters and strength.

Finally, I spooled the 20 lb. SS on a 6500 Mag Elite and took it casting. The shock leader made up for what I had used up with my knot testing. I had a little more than 150 yd. from the backing knot to the sinker. (I wish Spider would sell the 20 lb. SS in 300 yd. spools.) During that first session, every cast was into the backing, I just couldn’t resist the urge to let it fly. It handled beautifully. Casts very well. I was very impressed. I almost has the feel of casting a good quality mono like Sufix Tritanium Plus, but quieter and smoother.

Both PowerPro and Stealth are very good lines. I think it is a matter of personal preference. For me, if Stealth holds up well and isn’t plagued by abrasion problems, it will become my preferred PE braid, displacing PowerPro.

Dan

redcrbbr
06-13-2003, 03:56 AM
took the stealth off all the conventionals..kept diggin in. been alright on the spinners