View Full Version : Hook Changing Tool

massbassman
05-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Anyone have any good suggestions on making a homemade hook changing tool? I remember seeing somewhere a while back, what looked like a 2" wooden dowel with slits cut into it for the different sizes of treble hooks. After cutting the hook, the guy slid the hook into the tool and anchored it, with no effort at all, opened the hook one way, placed it on the plug and closed it the other way. The process looked effortless. I've been using manley pliers, but due to rotator cuff surgery, its become a little painful. If anyone has made one of these, or can recommend another way I'de love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

tlapinski
05-22-2013, 08:43 AM
This?
Surf Fishing : big water lures and vmc hooks.mpg - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyWayCyYPbU)

massbassman
05-22-2013, 09:45 AM
The one I saw was held in your hand Toby, but that looks equally effective and simple to make... I like that its portable and you can do it wherever you want too. That'll work!... thanks for the help!

JFigliuolo
05-22-2013, 10:09 AM
lordship lures has the video of the dowel. Pretty sure that was Ron's method.

PaulS
05-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Mine looks similar to this.

massbassman
05-22-2013, 10:33 AM
That's it Paul! Any details on how to make one?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jackbass
05-22-2013, 10:40 AM
I would imagine a three jaw Jacobs chuck would accomplish the same thing if you were to buy one with a 1/8" drive? Now I will have to try it

PaulS
05-22-2013, 10:49 AM
That was a picture from Lordship lures. I just used a dremel to cut the indentations for the hook.

massbassman
05-22-2013, 11:07 AM
I'll check their site and see... Thanks Paul!

ThrowingTimber
05-24-2013, 07:14 AM
If you take a small board or piece of wood. You can drill 3 long screws (to form a triangle). You can then just clamp that into a vice and there you go.

A good way to determine your spacing is to take a 3/0 or 4/0 hook and lay it on the piece of wood and the position where the tine of the hooks would make contact with the screw once embedded (piece of wood flat eye of hook towards the cieling). Also once you get your measurement right you can back the screws out and put rubber tubing over the exposed threads so you dont brutalize your hooks (if you're using 2 inch screws you only drive 1" into the wood and use 1" of rubber to cover exposed threads). The tubing material that is used to run aquarium air pumps works excellent. Placing it in a board or vice takes the "if this thing slips out of my hands my forearm is going to own this hook" feeling. Hope this helps.

PaulS
05-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Good idea Vic. It makes it easy for someone who doesn't have a dremel.

massbassman
05-24-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm always amazed at the endless knowledge and great ideas from the guys and gals on this site. I don't own a Dremmel and was trying to figure another way to do this. I was at Lowe's yesterday looking at them and when the wife asked what I was using it for, none of which related to her honey-do list, all I got was a resounding... Really, Dave?!! So thank you Vic!, that will work awesome I think. Thanks to everyone who responded!