View Full Version : The ONE Fund.......

FishermanTim
05-24-2013, 01:46 PM
I read in yesterdays paper that the deadline for filing for victim relief is 6/15/2013.

Exactly who decided on this date?
What intelligent formula was used to figure out exactly how long to give seriously wounded and maimed people to file a claim?

How many victims are able to actually file a claim?
How much will each person (not family) receive?
When will they receive the funds?
Will the relief funds be taxed/taxable?
How will potential fraudulent claims be reviewed and prosecuted? (That's provided they aren't "people of power")

and lastly (which I hated to have to mention).....
Who gets the remaining funds AFTER all claims are processed?

I mention this because there will surely be some dirtbag democrat wanting to sink his/her claws into a multi-million cash cow.

Based on the news story, as of 5/22/2013 only 5 claims have been filed.

The Dad Fisherman
05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Man, you are one sour dude.....How about waiting til there is actually a reason to crap on the charity.

Section 1—General Information
1.1 What is the One Fund Boston Victim Relief Fund?

The One Fund Boston ("OFB") was established through the generosity of businesses, foundations and individual donors in response to the tragic events during the Boston Marathon and was created at the request of Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick. The Victim Relief Fund of the OFB will be used to assist those families of the victims who were killed and the victims who were most seriously affected as a result of the tragic events during the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013 and related events on April 18th and April 19th (the "Marathon Tragedy"). The Final Protocol has been approved by the Board of Directors of the OFB and the City of Boston. The Final Protocol for the OFB Victim Relief Fund incorporates feedback received from the community and the general public at Town Hall meetings held on May 6 and May 7, 2013 at the Boston Public Library and comments received from correspondence and communications with the Fund Administrator. The Final Protocol has been approved by the Board of Directors of the OFB.

1.2 Who is administering the Compensation Fund?

Kenneth R. Feinberg, who served as the Special Master for the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund of 2001, the Claims Administrator for the Virginia Tech Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund, the Aurora Victim Relief Fund and for the BP Oil Spill Claims Administration, is the Compensation Fund Administrator.

1.3 How can I file a claim?

A uniform claim form (one for a deceased victim and one for a physically injured victim) and a copy of the Final Protocol will be provided to all known claimants and those potential claimants registered through the OFB website and will be available on the OFB website beginning on May 15, 2013. Eligible claimants should file either a Deceased Claim Form or a Physical Injury Claim Form.

You should submit a claim form by mail or overnight courier to the Fund Administrator at the following address:

The One Fund Boston
Fund Administrator
c/o Feinberg Rozen, LLP
1455 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Suite 390
Washington, DC 20004-1008

1.4 How many claim forms can be filed per victim?

One claim form only should be filed by or on behalf of each victim.

1.5 What documentation do I need to submit with my claim form?

A.Claim for a deceased victim: A claim form filed for a deceased victim will require the spouse's signature if the deceased individual was married at the time of death. In cases where the victim was not married at the time of death, the personal representative legally responsible for administering the estate must sign the claim form.
B.Claim for a minor child: The claim form will require the signature of both parents (if both parents are living).
C.Claim for an incompetent adult: The claim form will require proof of representative capacity, such as a power of attorney, guardianship, appointment of guardian or attorney ad litem.
D. Claim for physical Injury claimant: A claim form filed for a physical injury claimant must include a hospital statement which confirms: i) the dates of admission and discharge from the hospital and 2) the nature of the injury and that the injury was sustained as a result of the Marathon Tragedy. Complete medical records are not required. The claimant’s name should be included on each page of submitted documentation.
1.6 What if I need more space to write on the Claim Form?

If you need additional space for one or more of the Claim Form sections, attach an additional page(s) to your claim form and be sure to include your name, address and Social Security Number at the bottom of all pages you submit.

1.7 How do I get the Claim Form? Where do I submit the Claim Form when complete?

You can obtain a Claim Form in one of the following ways:

A.Through the OFB Website: You can download a copy of the Claim Form online by going to the OFB website at www.onefundboston.org;
B.By Telephone: You can request a Claim Form be mailed to you by calling the Fund Administrator at the toll free number, (866) 298-2951. The Victim Relief Fund Administrator will mail or email you a Claim Form for you to fill out and sign.
1.8 Do I waive my legal rights by filing a claim?

No. By participating in the Victim Relief Fund of the One Fund Boston, you do not waive any legal rights to file a lawsuit.

1.9 What is the deadline for filing a claim?

The claim form should be completed and submitted to the Fund Administrator (along with all required supporting documentation) postmarked no later than June 15, 2013.

1.10 Who can answer my questions about completing the claim form?

Questions regarding the completion of the claim form should be sent via email to claimantservices@onefundboston.org or by telephone to (866) 298-2951.

1.11 Will there be an opportunity for claimants to have a meeting with the Fund Administrator?

Individual claimants may request a meeting with the Fund Administrator before the final processing of all claims is completed. These meetings will be scheduled before the individual claim is processed but will not serve to alter the Final Protocol or any allocation set forth in the Final Protocol. All claimants requesting face-to-face meetings with the Fund Administrator before the claim is processed will be afforded a meeting between June 15, and June 25, 2013. Requests to meet with the Fund Administrator should be sent by email to the Fund Administrator at claimantservices@onefundboston.org, or by telephone to (866) 298-2951.

Section 2—Eligibility and Payment
2.1 Who is an eligible claimant?

Claims for death and physical injury due to the Marathon Tragedy that resulted in 1) amputation of a limb, 2) hospitalization for one or more nights, or 3) treatment on an emergency out-patient basis at one of the Boston area hospitals.

2.2 What will be the prioritization of payments for eligible claims?

Claims will be categorized for payment as follows:

A.Eligible claimants for death and claimants who suffered double amputation of limbs or permanent brain damage as a result of the Marathon Tragedy will be considered the most seriously injured and will receive the highest category of payment.
B.Eligible claimants who suffered amputation of a limb as a result of the Marathon Tragedy will receive a priority payment.
C.Eligible claimants who were physically injured and hospitalized for one or more nights between April 15, 2013 and May 15, 2013 due to physical injuries resulting from the Marathon Tragedy will receive a priority payment.
D.Eligible Claimants who were physically injured and were treated on an emergency out-patient basis at one of the Boston hospitals due to physical injuries resulting from the Marathon Tragedy and were released without an overnight hospital stay will receive a payment.
2.3 How will the amounts for each of the categories of injuries be determined?

Determination of the amounts for each of the categories of injuries will depend upon the following: 1) the balance in the OFB on June 30, 2013; 2) the receipt of updated data regarding the nature and the number of injures; 3) completion of the review of all submitted claims and 4) review and approval by the City of Boston.

2.4 Are payments from the OFB subject to federal income tax?

The Fund Administrator has been informed by the IRS that payments from the Victim Relief Fund are exempt from federal income tax and is seeking written confirmation to that effect. The OFB cannot provide tax advice to those receiving payments from the Fund and the Fund Administrator recommends you consult your tax advisor for any questions regarding tax liability for these payments.

2.5 What type of documentation must be submitted with the Claim Form?

A claim form filed for a death claimant will require the spouse’s signature if the deceased individual was married at the time of death. In cases where the victim was not married, the personal representative legally responsible and designated by the court administering the estate must sign the claim form. The claim form will require the signature of both parents for a claim filed for a minor child, if both parents are living.

A claim form filed for a physical injury claimant must include a hospital statement or letter which confirms: 1) the date of admission and discharge from the hospital; and 2) the nature of the injury and that the injury was sustained as a result of the Marathon Tragedy. If the injured victim is a minor child, the claim form will require the signature of both parents, if both parents are living. If the injured victim is an incompetent adult, proof of representative capacity will be required.

2.6 When will payments be issued?

Payments will be issued on a rolling basis beginning on June 30, 2013, immediately following the determination of all eligible claims.

FishermanTim
05-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Man, I need to proof read my post a little more often in the future.
(I see what you mean about sour)

I should be thankful that no one I know was injured in that horrific event.

I appreciate you posting the filing criteria, as that does answer a number of my sourly flavored questions.

I think what started me down that angry path was thinking about how many people that weren't anywhere near the marathon will try and "cash in" on the good will of the people?

Thanks for the reality check!

Swimmer
06-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I know its tax free
Posted fro m my iPhone/Mobile device