View Full Version : Mem Day Weekend @The Ditch

PRBuzz
05-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Glad I don't fish it but somewhere posts seem to indicate shoulder-to-shoulder catching fish? :smash:

Higgie
05-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Shoulder to shoulder is an understatement
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rappin Mikey
05-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Shoulder to shoulder, yes. But all the fish are in RI and CT. Don't bother even going in MA.

chaz
05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
strange there was less than 5 people standing where i was and they stayed less than an hour,i saw one keeper walk out this was between 5 and 8 saturday morning in a light rain,anyone been there tonight ,,,thinking about taking a ride

Slipknot
05-26-2013, 08:56 PM
I caught nothing Friday or Saturday

chaz
05-26-2013, 08:58 PM
same here

Rob Rockcrawler
05-26-2013, 09:21 PM
I am boycotting the canal this year. No morning tides at all this year. I will fish it in august at night slinging eels. I know the odds were in my favor to catch fish there today but i headed south to RI instead. I cant handle the people.

tattoobob
05-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Phil your such a trouble maker

the banks were crowded and there were some fish caught but I have been there when it was a lot better

5/0
05-26-2013, 09:35 PM
no comment:fishin:

iamskippy
05-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Wheres the ditch?

BrianS
05-27-2013, 06:52 AM
This makes me feel better that I decided to wait till next week to start the salt and visit the ditch

Rappin Mikey
05-27-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm not saying a word accept, you should have been there yesterday.

numbskull
05-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Stupid fishing one day, stupefying the next.

tysdad115
05-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Is it much different the the comm. guys playing bumper boats off Chatham every day?

Back Beach
05-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Color me perennially stupefied.

Sea Dangles
05-27-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm not saying a word accept, you should have been there yesterday.

I see the lobotomy went as planned.
Fish with me

Slipknot
05-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Is it much different the the comm. guys playing bumper boats off Chatham every day?

not much different, except you have guys move in even if you got there first and crossing your lines screwing up the way you were fishing but now can't. that tests the patience of a saint

fish where the bait swims, I hear the bait is in Boston harbor:uhuh:

chaz
05-27-2013, 09:23 AM
i saw more action at the narrows,3 stripers and 1taug,one of the guys from cc tackle got a nice keeper,think it will quiet down a bit after the holiday,i hope maybe try during the week,vacation coming soon.

bart
05-27-2013, 09:41 AM

Yep

bart
05-27-2013, 09:44 AM
not much different, except you have guys move in even if you got there first and crossing your lines screwing up the way you were fishing but now can't. that tests the patience of a saint:uhuh:

Yep. no point even trying to claim a spot in the dark when it's like that. You put in your time...no good deed goes unpunished.

piemma
05-27-2013, 09:55 AM
I have been fishing the night tides and doing OK. Nothing over 22# but decent fish every trip. AND NO COMPANY. Sleep is overrated

Mike P
05-27-2013, 10:31 AM
That's it guys. Spring run is over--a one day event. Might as well fish north of the canal now until mid-September. :hidin:

:rotf2:

ProfessorM
05-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Funny how it goes. Yesterday real good fish one after another till my arms gave out, today not even worth taking the rod out of the truck. That's fishin.
I will say this today was as crowded as I have ever seen it in the 28 years I have been fishing there. It was like the days when we fished herring around the run but the whole length of the canal.

Slipknot
05-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Glad I stayed in bed today

tysdad115
05-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Glad I stayed in bed today
I did the same. Couldn't take two aggravating days in a row. Night time is the right time.

fatcow
05-27-2013, 12:07 PM
314 dead bass on 1 side of the canal is what i counted. End to end. Thats not counting all the guys that left.

seadogg
05-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Hammered em yesterday. Fish to 30 pounds. Did nothing but waste my time today. No fish, people casting all over the damned place, blah blah blah. I had a feeling it'd be a circus. Classic.

piemma
05-27-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm staying in RI until this calms down.

Higgie
05-27-2013, 02:15 PM
314 dead bass on 1 side of the canal is what i counted. End to end. Thats not counting all the guys

I knew it looked like a lot of fish on the asphalt. No wonder there were no fish around this morning

iamskippy
05-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Where the Halibit is this place you all speak of? The ditch? Is that the place between NJ/NY where all the large are being caught as we speak?

GregW
05-27-2013, 03:34 PM
314 dead bass on 1 side of the canal is what i counted. End to end. Thats not counting all the guys

I knew it looked like a lot of fish on the asphalt. No wonder there were no fish around this morning

And I'm sure that's not counting the fish the EPOs confiscated. The fish kills are insane during these times. I wish people would keep quiet for the fishes sake

5/0
05-27-2013, 03:46 PM
. I wish people would keep quiet for the fishes sake

The Blabernet does not help at all.

Chunkah
05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Anyone with a small bit of experience knows when to fish the place in the spring...it's not brain surgery.

The crowds were bad all weekend, but I just don't have these nightmarish experiences most on here seem to have. I only had my line crossed once all weekend...guess it helps when you're fishing shoulder to shoulder with guys that know what they are doing.

Swimmer
05-27-2013, 05:33 PM
I expected the crowds. Its like opening day used to be for freshwater fishing. It was shoulder to shoulder, #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s to elbows. I only heard of one snit. My only concern was the fish i couldn't turn and then it broke the shank on a brand new 4x vmc treble. Alas i will return. And the guy to my right about 30' that kept dropping his cast right in front of me wont be there. It didn't bother me. Actually it was kind of funny.

Grapenuts
05-27-2013, 05:33 PM
and you thought it was comm. doin all the killin:rotf2:and you want to teach more this sport of fishing?

sully12rng
05-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Don't bother its a madhouse . Every day is a nightmare. Fights if new guys show up...yes there was one ..State police came. No room. Etc. Not worth it.

WESTPORTMAFIA
05-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Do what I did next year.Find somewhere else to fish. Didn't want to bother with the show. Still had fun and got some fish. No bitching as you guys knew what you were in for. Go at night during the week no blitzing but no crowds

sully12rng
05-27-2013, 06:56 PM
I do both. I was fortunate I had a group of guys roll up to our left on the am swing when they saw us bent. All were awesome guys we had a good rotation no lost fish lots of laughs. Hand shake high fives w strangers we met and off to breakfast. What I saw around us was gross. If anyone here happens to be the guys beside us thank you. You made me feel like I had gone back 20 years on Sunday AM. I was the cat in the blue snow pants talking about turkeys and zacharies making you all laugh! And singing the progressive ins. Commercial...... "it was the best day........ the best day.....".

Jackbass
05-27-2013, 07:17 PM
First time I have ever seen no parking left at the herring run was today not many fish to be caught either. Didn't have any problems where I was.

tattoobob
05-27-2013, 07:40 PM
314 dead bass on 1 side of the canal is what i counted. End to end. Thats not counting all the guys that left.

To me this is sad, this is why it should be one fish a day at 36" (greedy bunch)

Mike P
05-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Drove by Red Top around 11 and there was a pile by the scale. All of the food pantries on the entire Upper Cape wouldn't be able to handle the Red Top drop-offs, plus the fish that the EPO confiscated from poachers (whether you're unlicensed or over the limit, in my book you're a poacher). Lots of those fish will go to waste, and you had to know that anything under 25 lbs wasn't winning anything yesterday.

If you're not going to eat the fish----don't take it. Don't delude yourself by thinking that the fish will go to a good cause---cause you know what? The pantries wind up dumping most of the fish that gets donated, because the people that use food pantries don't want fish. They take it because they don't want to discourage donations, but people want stuff for their kids that's quick and easy to prepare--stuff like easy mac and cereal. That's straight from the woman that runs Bourne's food pantry.

tattoobob
05-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Drove by Red Top around 11 and there was a pile by the scale. All of the food pantries on the entire Upper Cape wouldn't be able to handle the Red Top drop-offs, plus the fish that the EPO confiscated from poachers (whether you're unlicensed or over the limit, in my book you're a poacher). Lots of those fish will go to waste, and you had to know that anything under 25 lbs wasn't winning anything yesterday.

If you're not going to eat the fish----don't take it. Don't delude yourself by thinking that the fish will go to a good cause---cause you know what? The pantries wind up dumping most of the fish that gets donated, because the people that use food pantries don't want fish. They take it because they don't want to discourage donations, but people want stuff for their kids that's quick and easy to prepare--stuff like easy mac and cereal. That's straight from the woman that runs Bourne's food pantry.

This is why all kill tournaments should be band,

Jackbass
05-27-2013, 08:12 PM
To me this is sad, this is why it should be one fish a day at 36" (greedy bunch)

I agree with you.

5/0
05-28-2013, 04:34 AM
I agree with you.
That's how it was back in the mid to late 90's if it was for those guide lines we wouldn't be where we are today,catching fish.

Slipknot
05-28-2013, 06:08 AM

People suck
I had no idea this actually happens, you mean people bring their catch to Red Top and weigh it, then leave it there? Appauling, what a friggin waste of fish, I guess those heros don't realize what they are doing to the species we all love.

"If you're not going to eat the fish----don't take it."

Mike, you're probably preaching to the choir here , but that should be a sign at Red Top and maybe they will think twice.

unbelievable, I guess I am naive

iamskippy
05-28-2013, 06:29 AM
1- 34" for Rec and 20 - 36" for comm imho..

The pantries wind up dumping most of the fish that gets donated, because the people that use food pantries don't want fish. They take it because they don't want to discourage donations, but people want stuff for their kids that's quick and easy to prepare--stuff like easy mac and cereal. That's straight from the woman that runs Bourne's food pantry.

Maybe they should hold cooking classes so these " poor " people who can't feed their kids will actually feed them something healthy... This strikes a major nerve with me. You have your hand out, yet you wanna pick and choose what you get, there is a serious problem with that................ Here is what we have today and this week, if you don't like it starve, stop catering to these people and it will be amazing what will happen........ i'm done on this one now before i get myself banned.......

This is why all kill tournaments should be band,
10000% agreement... I like what the GoTight tournament is doing, although not a part of it, its encouraging.

Rob Rockcrawler
05-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Maybe OTW should be contacted about the pile of fish at Red Top. Another line to the rules would not hurt anything. If a fish is weighed and abandoned at the weigh station it shall not count toward the striper cup. Also, your privilege to weigh in more fish for the tournament will be forfeited for the remained of the season.

I would also like to see the EPO truck that as loaded with fish also be topped off with fishing gear. So you take someones fish and give them a token ticket on top of it. That sure is some deterrent. They should also have cops on the banks ticketing people for littering. Watch em when they arrive and when they leave, the dunkins cups should be worth at least 100 bucks each.

piemma
05-28-2013, 10:10 AM
I posted this in the wrong thread:

Well is sure sounds like you guys had a great time. I am happy for all the board members who happened upon a blitz in the Canal.
What bothers me is the wanton slaughter of so many big fish. I have been into a slow pick of 20#+ fish a the Canal for 3 weeks. Night tides, out of the way spots and no crowds. Killed none and all swam away alive.
So do I sound like sour grapes?? Maybe but with the Bass stocks crashing it seems totally irresponsible of Red Top to sponsor a "kill" tournament. Everyone has the right to kill fish. It's part of our heritage.
But I think, and it's just my opinion, that a kill like what occurred Sunday does nothing to help the stocks. I figure there were 1000 20# and up fish that were killed in one massive slaughter. That's 1000 bass that will not have the chance to breed.
When the moratorium returns, and it surely will, I will be unashamed to say, "I told you so".

Mike P
05-28-2013, 01:17 PM
1- 34" for Rec and 20 - 36" for comm imho..

Maybe they should hold cooking classes so these " poor " people who can't feed their kids will actually feed them something healthy... This strikes a major nerve with me. You have your hand out, yet you wanna pick and choose what you get, there is a serious problem with that................ Here is what we have today and this week, if you don't like it starve, stop catering to these people and it will be amazing what will happen........ i'm done on this one now before i get myself banned.......

10000% agreement... I like what the GoTight tournament is doing, although not a part of it, its encouraging.

They tried packaging the fish with other goods, requiring the donees to take fish along with the pre-packaged items. But we all know that most of the clients are just going to toss the fish. Even I hated fish when I was a kid. But if it was on my plate, I didn't get any choice in the matter. :D

I have nothing against kill tournaments, as long as people are either going to keep their fish, or at least, be realistic about what they weigh in. A 19 pound fish isn't going to win anything. Or even count in the OTW team standings at the end of the thing. But publicizing that fish will go to the food pantries encourages people to bring marginal fish to the weigh in, and drive away feeling good about donating to the needy. It's kind of a two-edged sword.

Swimmer
05-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Its kind of hard cooking in a fleabag room with a hotplate

tattoobob
05-28-2013, 06:25 PM
The problem with this is it's totally legal to do what ever you want with your 2 fish a day, So if you go and weight your fish then throw it in a dumpster it's okay as long as head and tail are intact

nightfighter
05-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Photos of the pile would go a long way to educating what just one or two fish from an angler can add up to.... Not meant to berate the shop involved, but their long term viability is tied directly to the viability of the resource. They can't be pleased with a pile of what amounts to discards..... Surely there are enough groups, clubs and businesses around the area in question that could ban together and get conservation based signs in place....no?

BigFish
05-28-2013, 07:27 PM
I weighed in at Red Top Sunday am and I have to say I saw no pile there while I was there?? Not to say there wasn't one later?? These things are why I do not fish tournaments any more! A high percentage of the people participating fish irresponsibly and waste the resource!!! If this in fact was the case....Red Top needs to change the way they do things going forward!

Circlehook
05-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Someone should donate a fryer to the pantry. I bet they would take pre-cooked fish. Or bake up some fish sticks.

Redsoxticket
05-28-2013, 08:26 PM
The volunteers at the pantry are thrilled to death having to gut, clean and prepare the fish.

WESTPORTMAFIA
05-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Sounds like assumptions as far as what got wasted. Does anyone know? If not let's not just assume. This happens all of the time. People come here and bitch and complain but do NOTHING about it. Either stop bitching or ban together and do something about it.

bloocrab
05-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Didn't you guys get the memo??? Fish caught from the Ditch running May 21 - June 11 ......DON'T COUNT!! Just like boat fish.

Congratulations on the PB Bigfish.

Like the professor said, I never seen so many people there before. It was like Black Friday for Stripers...except everyone showed up late

Canalman
05-29-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm staying in RI until this calms down.

See you on Black Friday Paul

piemma
05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
See you on Black Friday Paul

Yeah, Dave it will probably be then by the time it calms down.

Swimmer
05-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Dave it will probably be then by the time it calms down.

I can tell you this a. m. It was pretty quiet during the deluge. Had rain gear but not the Aqua Skinz, silly me. Very few fish caught.

ProfessorM
05-29-2013, 07:43 PM
not a car behind the rink this morning after a 100 on Monday. Took a look and rod never came out of car. 5 minutes invested. Boss was happy I showed up on time for a change.

JohnnySaxatilis
05-29-2013, 07:52 PM
I can tell you this a. m. It was pretty quiet during the deluge. Had rain gear but not the Aqua Skinz, silly me. Very few fish caught.

It was deffinately a waders and drytop kinda morning, I found em finally right after the switch but it didnt last long, big blues mixed in too.

My nice bass for the day got poached by an old man river! Casted out and working the pencil, old man casts and crosses the streams:fury: so I burn in my pencil to get under his line, well as this happens I see a huge wake behind my plug! I finally clear old mans popper, he makes one twitch, bang he's on, lands the biggest bass out of the group of us. unreal lol!

WESTPORTMAFIA
05-29-2013, 08:59 PM
My nice bass for the day got poached by an old man river! Casted out and working the pencil, old man casts and crosses the streams:fury: so I burn in my pencil to get under his line, well as this happens I see a huge wake behind my plug! I finally clear old mans popper, he makes one twitch, bang he's on, lands the biggest bass out of the group of us. unreal lol![/QUOTE]

:rotf2:

Jackbass
05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
It was deffinately a waders and drytop kinda morning, I found em finally right after the switch but it didnt last long, big blues mixed in too.

My nice bass for the day got poached by an old man river! Casted out and working the pencil, old man casts and crosses the streams:fury: so I burn in my pencil to get under his line, well as this happens I see a huge wake behind my plug! I finally clear old mans popper, he makes one twitch, bang he's on, lands the biggest bass out of the group of us. unreal lol!

This story would only be better if it were a Hopkins he was Tossing

sully12rng
05-30-2013, 08:26 PM
I'll be there w my bells on. In the dark this time..... I put nearly 40 fish on the rocks last weekend between 20 n 25 lbs and like I said.. the company beside me was amazing amazing amazing.. like I went back in time.....

sully12rng
05-30-2013, 08:31 PM
I was hope full that the guys I stood beside were members... we had an amazing few days last week . Hats off to you guys whoever you may be. Rotation patience manners plus.... three days of fishing the same hole with gentlemen.....!!!! Like a rewind in time!!!

Mike P
05-30-2013, 09:40 PM
I was hope full that the guys I stood beside were members... we had an amazing few days last week . Hats off to you guys whoever you may be. Rotation patience manners plus.... three days of fishing the same hole with gentlemen.....!!!! Like a rewind in time!!!

Slip could tell you how many guys could be packed into a tight spot, and fish a whole tide without any problems, when we worked a rotation.

But all it took was one douchenozzle to screw it up. :wall:

ThrowingTimber
05-31-2013, 11:36 AM
I believe our max was 19 total fishing actively with 6 or 7 hooked up at once rotation and manners etc :)