View Full Version : Fishing Accidents

DZ
05-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Just heard a surf fisherman died in Jamestown and WMVY reported that another surf fisherman was rescued in Westport.

DZ

Mojo7
05-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Scary stuff! Be careful guys.

JohnR
05-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Yes, someone from Leominster Mass aparaantly died off Hull Cove. It may have happened yesterday afternoon: Mass. man swept off rocks, drowns - News, Weather and Classifieds for Southern New England (http://www.turnto10.com/story/22434985/mass-man-swept-off-rocks-drowns)

Hopefully the Westport Fisher makes it.

Nebe
05-28-2013, 08:22 AM
happens every year.

bassballer
05-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Yup the wife was all over me last ngiht about it.

1dozenraw
05-28-2013, 11:48 AM
happens every year.Seems like it.
Jamestown is a tricky place to fish.
Always got to be hyper-aware.
What a shame for the whole family.

Slipknot
05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
That is very sad :(

DZ
05-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Thought it happend in Westport but actually happend in Nantucket and reported by the Westport News. Does this sound like a skisher?

Man found clinging to buoy off Nantucket rescued - Westport News (http://www.westport-news.com/news/article/Man-found-clinging-to-buoy-off-Nantucket-rescued-4551169.php)

5/0
05-28-2013, 01:32 PM
The Hull gut has got to be one of the nastiest rip in N.E.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Zeno
05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
terrible news

JohnR
05-28-2013, 03:00 PM
The Hull gut has got to be one of the nastiest rip in N.E.

Hull Cove in RI

5/0
05-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Hull Cove in RI

Ahhhh.

Nebe
05-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Problem with the east side of beavertail is that there is deep water that comes up to bedrock. Waves come out of nowhere. Much like the avanues in Narragansett.

Clammer
05-28-2013, 06:45 PM
i AGREE Hull Gut is a M/F er years ago in the fall we use to trailer up there in the fall with skiffs for Cod fish ...I sure wouldn,t do it now ;; damn scent of money:smash:

justplugit
05-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Live long enough your going to have a lot of close calls.

NO fish is worth your life.

Clammer
05-28-2013, 09:21 PM
WAKING UPIN THE MORNING IS A CLOSE CALL :jump1:

Jackbass
05-29-2013, 04:26 AM
You know every year it takes something like this to remind me I gotta wear my korkers at the ditch. Leave the waders in the truck. Rain pants and wet boots are a better option. Sad to see a younger cut short due to something like this.

I have to say more than once I have seen tog fisherman at the tail fishing the front rocks in inappropriate gear for the place.
Hull cove is not as dangerous. Regardless the entire point of Jamestown has spots that are death traps.

RIROCKHOUND
05-29-2013, 05:05 AM
You know every year it takes something like this to remind me I gotta wear my korkers at the ditch. Leave the waders in the truck. Rain pants and wet boots are a better option. Sad to see a younger cut short due to something like this.

I have to say more than once I have seen tog fisherman at the tail fishing the front rocks in inappropriate gear for the place.
Hull cove is not as dangerous. Regardless the entire point of Jamestown has spots that are death traps.

Actually, I disagree, there are portions of Hull Cove that are more dangerous than Beavertail for the exact reasons Nebe mentioned, the waves can slide up out of no-where across the low-lying rocks....

iamskippy
05-29-2013, 05:15 AM
In alot of cases especially hazard ave, people dont respect the rocks, all to often you see people with crocs or flip flops trying to go on the slippery black rocks..

Saltheart
05-29-2013, 06:04 AM
In 23 years of sailing the biggest waves I ever saw in this area were right out there from a couple miles past BT and they roll in and sometimes don't lay down until almost Ft Adams. All depends on exact tides , wind directions and what roll is coming into the bay from the open ocean. Some days nothing , some days a real death trap.

Raven
05-29-2013, 06:25 AM
you have to get pummeled by the sea at least once
then rolled up the beach before you learn respect.
Saddened to hear this.....

Nebe
05-29-2013, 06:46 AM
In 23 years of sailing the biggest waves I ever saw in this area were right out there from a couple miles past BT and they roll in and sometimes don't lay down until almost Ft Adams. All depends on exact tides , wind directions and what roll is coming into the bay from the open ocean. Some days nothing , some days a real death trap.

Dropping moon tide, strong stiff south west wind. Those were the days I'd sail my laser out to Brenton tower and then scream back to castle hill on a broad reach.

JohnR
05-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Dropping moon tide, strong stiff south west wind. Those were the days I'd sail my laser out to Brenton tower and then scream back to castle hill on a broad reach.

In the 6 footers tacked up? Maybe incoming moon tide - then you'd be screaming :love:

Hmmm Laser, so much fun

Nebe
05-29-2013, 07:36 AM
In the 6 footers tacked up? Maybe incoming moon tide - then you'd be screaming :love:

Hmmm Laser, so much fun
Out going. When the waves were stacked up, it made it more fun.

piemma
05-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Seems like it.
Jamestown is a tricky place to fish.
Always got to be hyper-aware.
What a shame for the whole family.

Good friend of mine Gary Bradbury died there a few years ago. Navy Seal(Team 2). Nam Vet, Master Diver. Found his body between some rock on Beavertail

Nebe
05-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Whoa

bassballer
05-29-2013, 09:46 AM
One night at Hull cove we had been fishing for a while, middle of the night waiting for the tide to turn and we were sitting down well out of waters way. After about 20 minutes of BSing a wave came up and took out our bags and almost my rod/reel. The swell on those slight pitched rocks really can sneak up on you. It really does remind me of the avenues.

Rob Rockcrawler
05-29-2013, 10:04 AM
I took a dip at Bass Rock a few years ago, thankfully it was during the day. I learned a lot that day and now have a pfd that i hardly ever wear. I dont even have it in the truck this year. I will be taking it with me for now on even though i will rarely wear it. My buddy wears one of the old school water skiing belt floats. He wraps it around his wader belt. It is a little cumbersome but it does the job.

ivanputski
05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
I know a guy who religiously wears an inflatable PFD while surf fishing...
I commented on it:

me: "You wear that thing every time you fish?"

him: "absolutely"

me: "seems a bit uncomfortable and inconvenient"

him: "so does drowning"

fishrick
05-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Glad my wife doesn't read this stuff....

FishermanTim
05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
If you put yourself in harms way, sometimes harm doesn't miss!

Better to be prepared for adverse conditions than be prepared for an early grave. I know my limitations and understand that NO FISH is worth risking my life. I don't care how good the bite is, how large the fish, or how awesome the experience is, because one slip and fall, one rouge wave and it all means exactly NOTHING.

Keep safe and fish for as long as you want, but just keep safe!!!