View Full Version : New Browning Pliers

Liv2Fish
06-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Anyone try these yet?

I had a giftcard and bought the last model of Browning pliers. They have stood up to two seasons in the salt but kind of suck. They're heavy and kind of short, not unlike their user....

Browning 7-3/4'' Split Ring Aluminum Pliers | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Browning-73/4-Split-Ring-Aluminum-Pliers/product/1211300540282/)

Swimmer
06-02-2013, 09:40 AM
I am on my third year with my pair. For $50.00 I couldn't be happier. They are great for pulling VMC trebles out as well as assisting you with various fishing duties.

Liv2Fish
06-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I am on my third year with my pair. For $50.00 I couldn't be happier. They are great for pulling VMC trebles out as well as assisting you with various fishing duties.

This is the model that I have now. Same for you?

Browning Fishing Pliers and Accessories | Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Fishing-Pliers-and-Accessories/product/58207/)

BigFish
06-02-2013, 10:16 AM
I will put my VS pliers up against anything else....they cost a bunch but are worth every damn penny! Mine are 10-12 years old now......they do not look it....they have seen it all....have yet to change out the cutters and have cut hooks with them several times! These will last me the rest of my days!!!!:uhuh:

Liv2Fish
06-02-2013, 10:20 AM
I will put my VS pliers up against anything else....they cost a bunch but are worth every damn penny! Mine are 10-12 years old now......they do not look it....they have seen it all....have yet to change out the cutters and have cut hooks with them several times! These will last me the rest of my days!!!!:uhuh:

I would love to have a pair of VS pliers but my wife would use them to pull out my fingernails if I spent $350 on a pair of pliers.....She still mentions my " $300 fishing purse" from time to time. She doesn't bust mu chops too bad about the fishing gear but that would be pushing it...

chaz
06-02-2013, 10:34 AM
she only complains about a 300 dollar plug bag because she could have had 3 or 4 bags for that much:smash:

BigFish
06-02-2013, 01:14 PM
My wife has a couple bags that cost that much....but hey....she bought the pliers for me as a birthday gift....and we got a deal on them...$250 at the time!

I also do not get my nails done and my hair done every 2 weeks!!! That costs a small fortune!!!

Raven
06-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Just Once every two months is fine Larry .....for you

don't forget the photo-shoot for the S-B pin up calender
is coming up soon... LOL

23mako
06-03-2013, 10:37 AM
My friend has a pair of Browning and he does not like the cutting blades

I have used my Gerber muti tool for 8 years the one that opens with a quick flick of the wrist cant say enouth good things about it. The tool has a file for hooks and sissors for braid and has not rusted on me yet. it goes everywhere with me

Hardcore
06-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Hansom pliers are good for the money.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

striperswiper75
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I used to have the pliers from the second link you posted. They were great, took a lot of abuse but never rusted. The only problem I had was the sheath....it clipped to the belt, didn't have a loop to run the belt through the loop. They were great pliers until Cuttyhunk took them away from me 4 years ago
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Liv2Fish
06-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks all. I'm going to give them a try. I get these gift cards from work that are kind of like a Visa gift card but they're not good everywhere. BPS is one place that does accept them.

I like the Hansom't they don't sell them at BPS. I'll follow up in the fall with how they held out.

Liv2Fish
06-17-2013, 09:20 AM
I've had a chance to use these in the surf and I'm not a big fan. They are very light and sturdy but the split ring point is far too big to be useful.

There is also a gap between the cutting blade and the notch that the blades sit in and the braid kept getting stuck in that gap, which added to the frustration of cutting out several huge back to back wind knots last night :smash: Time to re-spool...

The original Browing pliers that I have are far better. Having the cutter outside of the pinching area of the pliers is much better. The lanyard on the original is much better too. The new one has a chincy split ring on one end which has already started to rust.

JohnR
06-17-2013, 10:09 AM
I don't think the original browning pliers are available anymore - too bad, I was a big fan

Liv2Fish
06-23-2013, 07:06 PM
So, Here they are after a couple of nights in the surf. Didn't get much use and somehow, one of the cutting jaws just broke. I don't remember dropping them or abusing them.

Garbage! Sending them back.