View Full Version : New Baitrunner problems!

Rockport24
06-03-2013, 08:35 PM
So I've had a BR6000D for a couple of years, last year at Cuttyhunk it got buried with sand (when I flipped the yak on a surf landing because I was so shocked at seeing skinny dipping babes) but Martha at surfland cleaned it out great and it worked flawlessley for the rest of the season.
Well this year, I hook a schoolie and the drag just lets go completely, no drag whatsoever.
Martha fixed it, but said she has seen a lot of issues with the new design, something about the way the bait runner drag disengages... Took it out last weekend and the same thing happened! Sending back to Shimano now.

this is a real dissapointment as it was really a great reel and worked awesome for live lining macks off the kayak. Anybody else have any issues or did I just get a lemon (or maybe the sand really did have a lasting effect). It's just the old version seemed to be very durable, so I'm kinda pissed about this..

Liv2Fish
06-03-2013, 08:56 PM
I've had that same reel for many years now and used to fish the balls off of it before I got my VS. My brother is now fishing it when he fishes with me and it's doing fine. Never had an issue with it.

I haven't seriously dunked it though, although probably would have done the same as you did given the same situation. It's never had the case opened either though.

Maybe something was over tightened on the reassemble?

Rockport24
06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Well to be honest the skinny dipping thing was a year earlier....but still!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Baitrunners will last forever. But they aren't made to get drenched.

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-03-2013, 10:02 PM
It probably needed a drag replacement when it first got serviced and they didn't replace it.

Rockport24
06-04-2013, 08:37 AM
thanks guys, yeah that must be the case since most people say they have never had a problem. I know they replaced some drag washers, but sounds like it needed more. Hopefully Shimano just fixes it.