View Full Version : Fathers day: Gone Fishin' For an Angling Father, Something Fishy's Always Welcome

NilsC
06-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Link:The Martha's Vineyard Times (http://www.mvtimes.com/news/goingfishin.htm)

By Nelson Sigelman

As Father’s Day approaches there is always the possibility that some wives and children will question whether dear old dad really needs any more fishing tackle: Why does he need so many fishing rods, Mom? is a question my daughter has been heard to ask. The fact is that no fisherman ever has enough fishing tackle.

The entire fishing industry is built on that one truth. Cabela’s — the mid-western multimillion dollar mail-order hunting and fishing retailer founded by two brothers in 1961 (think of a shop for guys that is a cross between Wal Mart and the Christmas Tree Shops) — knows that. Page 30 in the Cabela’s Master Spring Catalog, one of several thick catalogs sent out throughout the year, features 30 different colors of just one brand of jig head, including super glow blue, parrot, silver plate, and glow orange.

Some people think Father’s Day was invented by Hallmark, the greeting card retailer. For the answer I turned to the internet and found the answer at www.holidays.net, proving once again that the web is useful for things other than enlarging body parts, investing in nonexistent companies, and getting a date.

According to my search, Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a “father's day” in 1909. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. Mr. Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife died in childbirth with their sixth child. He raised the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. Mrs. Dodd realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.

The first Father's Day was observed on June 19, 1910, in Spokane, Washington. In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge, a trout fisherman, supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Might Cal have needed a new reel? In 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the third Sunday of June as Father's Day.

This quote was furher down on the same page:
[B]Lost but Not Found

A ten-and-a-half-foot fly rod would seem like something hard to forget, but someone left a St. Croix rod with a Redington reel on Lobsterville Beach. If it belongs to you, call John Kollett, the honest guy who wants to return it, at 617-823-7951.
/B]

Raven
06-16-2003, 09:09 AM
One day long ago, my dad (a Banker) and not very skilled as a fisherman decided he'd take two of his SIX son's fishing and my brother jim and i were never so happy to go.Dad decided to make it impossible for us not to catch fish and had a "stocked pay to go fishing for trout pond" all picked out. Well we were up at the crack of dawn all happy :happy: and headed for some where out in Western Massachusetts where we stopped at a pancake breakfast restaurant that opened up real early. DAD ordered blueberry pancakes for us both and "insisted" we not waste the HUGE tub of butter that came with the BIG stack of flapjacks. 20 minutes after leaving breakfast my brother JIM started to feel ill from all that butter and said:"DAD! Pull over QUICK!", He did, BUT right in front of a Man's house who had the most imaculate Lawn and yard i have ever seen. Jim started hurling his pancakes all over the lawn right in front of the homeowner who was standing there totally pissed off at the audacity and insult of us stopping in front of "his" house.
He started running towards the car yelling and screaming waving his rake at us " EXTREMELY ANGRY" :devil: when the SOUND of my poor brother getting sick made me do the same , so then-> i open the back door and began hurling my pancakes too....this made the OUTRAGED home owner go completely INSANE :af: and he started SWEARING at my dad who of course decided to step on the gas and floor it-> to get the heck outta there with my car door still open just when all my pancakes came back up leaving a ten foot long puke trail all over this guy's most beautiful perfect lawn!
:yak4: :yak6: :yak6: :yak6: :yak6: :yak6: :yak4: Well needless to say, we never WENT fishing that day and came home all bummed out :mad: , SICK and then-> Mom yelled at DAD too! :whackin: :af: :af: :af: :smash:............TRUE story !