View Full Version : Am I underpowered?

Zeal
06-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Well we are getting another sling of storms starting tomorrow and the beach I fish (sandy beach no rocks) gets wicked once it hits 15+ knot winds. The sweep produced mainly is the problem. I love rough conditions and this has been a constant issue.

I'll try to put it in perspective since I'm not sure how to explain it: On a regular day of 5-10 knot winds, you can unload just about anything on the sea without distance being an issue. The only one problem is you need a bucktail at 3/4 oz maximum if you were to be able to swim it without smacking the bottom the whole time.

As soon as a storm gets ready and it turns rough? Maybe the bottledarter has a chance in hell. The rest (including bucktails being heavier) get beaten around and no action comes of it and I end up reeling in the lure on the end of my line from the sand all the way to the left or right of me it got spat out on by the ocean.

I've caught most of my fish about 6 feet to 1 foot away from me so distance isn't THAT big of a problem, but is my gear not strong enough?

Rod: Penn Newport 10' Medium Heavy Action 3-6 oz. lure, 15-30 lb. line NPSF 1002S MH (Graphite rod) *Rod is a 2 piece*

Reel: Penn 7000 Power Graph (not sure about any other specifications that matter)

Line: I think it is 30 lb Power Pro braid, I use 50 lb mono for shock.

Rough conditions the only things I have besides heavy bucktails (which just get planted on the sticky bottom) to try and combat the surf are: SS Needle, SS Bottle, SS Darter, Northbar Bottledarter, and SS Bullet.

Your guys' advice is always helpful. Landed my first few summer bass the other night using the advice on how to read the beach and how to work a darter :)

nightfighter
06-26-2013, 05:24 PM
First impression is you might want to consider a new rod that matches the lure weights you are throwing. Secondly, in rough surf I like to work plugs much slower so they get beat around in the wash as a wounded baitfish would be. The wash imparts the action more than you do. I would start with the needle, slowwwwww. Then the darter, the bullet, etc. And the bottleplug with short pops should work too. Consider getting a spook and a pencil.
That said, I'm not even close to the short list of people you want to be advising you.....:biglaugh:

Zeal
06-26-2013, 05:35 PM
First impression is you might want to consider a new rod that matches the lure weights you are throwing. Secondly, in rough surf I like to work plugs much slower so they get beat around in the wash as a wounded baitfish would be. The wash imparts the action more than you do. I would start with the needle, slowwwwww. Then the darter, the bullet, etc. And the bottleplug with short pops should work too. Consider getting a spook and a pencil.
That said, I'm not even close to the short list of people you want to be advising you.....:biglaugh:

It still helps! The main issue is that sweep taking it out of action and putting it on the beach unless I'm cranking :(

nightfighter
06-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Again, look at the rod rating. Your 3-6oz is not loading up with those lures. A lower rated rod would allow you to cast them out further IMO.