View Full Version : will Patriots have to pay Hernandez?

Swimmer
06-27-2013, 08:23 AM
All the so-called guaranteed money he supposedly has coming, do they really have to pay him? Mikep., what say you, or WPM?

Fly Rod
06-27-2013, 08:39 AM
More then likely I would say no.....when my brother-in-law was a player agent there were all types of cut out clauses...look at a few years ago a Q/B riding a motor cycle had a no pay clause if on a motor cycle and he had an accident and broke a bone

Even these reality shows have a lot of no pay clauses....was talking to a person of a reality show this morning and he has an arm length of no pay clauses and end of contract close....and they make peanuts compared to a sports player.

Hernandes was bad from the gitgo why do U think he went in 4th round.... most did not want to take a chance on him.

The Dad Fisherman
06-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Yep, he will be getting some cash. I was reading an article this morning and they mentioned something in the neighborhood of 3.5 mil.

They actually hurt themselves by releasing him right away...they could have recouped money if he missed Training camp, but since they released him they are liable for it.

Fly Rod
06-27-2013, 09:05 AM
How quick things get on the internet.

JackK
06-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Hernandez has a weird contract in that the sections pertaining to his base salary don't have a "failure to report/perform/practice" clause. From Ian Rapoport:

In almost all situations, when an NFL player is suspended, he forfeits all of the future guarantees in his contract. Even if a signing bonus or base salary is guaranteed for skill, injury and salary cap, a "failure to perform" or "failure to practice" clause makes those guarantees null and void.

In a surprising twist, this appears not to be the case with the five-year, $40-million extension signed by New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez in August of 2012. Upon close reading of his contract language -- and after confirming the development with an expert -- the "failure to perform" or "failure to practice" clause that appears in similar Patriots extensions is not present. This means Hernandez might be able to keep nearly $2.5 million of the deal, even if legal troubles prevented him from taking the field.

According to his amended contract, Hernandez is guaranteed a total of $16 million. Of that, $9.25 million in a signing bonus already has been paid, with the final $3.25 million due in March 2014.

The rest of it comes in guaranteed base salaries for the 2013 and 2014 seasons, along with $1 million total guarantees in workout bonuses for the 2014 and 2015 offseasons. According to Paragraph 32(d) of his amended contract, the workout bonus is "null and void" if the player fails to report.

That "failure to report" clause is the one not present in the sections for his base salaries. In almost all other contracts, it would be.

That means, even if he is suspended or unable to report for any reason, the Patriots still might be on the hook for $1.323 million in 2013 and $1.137 million in 2014. It's unclear why the "failure to perform" or "failure to practice" clause is not present in Hernandez's contract.

Thanks to the missing clause, Hernandez might be able to keep monies that normally would have been voided even if he's not able to practice or play.

They MIGHT be able to get the money back (signing bonus) through a legal battle, but the pats did agree to a contract that says he's still entitled to it. The cap hit won't go away though($4.1 mil this year, 8.6 mil next).

the point
06-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Hee is guaranteed a few millions, but since patriots released him the rest of the money he will not receive. Also kind of hard for Hernandez to keep his end of the contract behind bars.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JackK
06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Also kind of hard for Hernandez to keep his end of the contract behind bars.

That's the crazy thing... Even behind bars he's due his base salary of $2.46 mil!

Raider Ronnie
06-27-2013, 10:26 AM
This whole thing must really suck for Tim Tebow.
Word is the Pats told him they were going to ditch the traditional passing game with Brady and install the Run & Shoot system and center it around Tebow & his old college team mate
:-)

PaulS
06-27-2013, 11:06 AM
My source tells me he is involved in a double murder in Boston also.

Nebe
06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Will he still be a tight end when he leaves jail?? :hihi:

The Dad Fisherman
06-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Will he still be a tight end when he leaves jail?? :hihi:

Maybe when he gets out he can play for the Packers :hee:

Saltheart
06-27-2013, 12:24 PM
He will get about 12 million total then who knows going forwards. Apparently the usual "out" clauses that are in almost all NFL players contracts were not put into his contract.

Slick Moedee
06-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Will he still be a tight end when he leaves jail??

More like a wide receiver....

Nebe
06-27-2013, 06:12 PM
:rotfl:

BobT
06-30-2013, 09:18 AM
He may not be a tight end but may have a tight end !!!!! :jester:

spence
06-30-2013, 09:28 AM
He will get about 12 million total then who knows going forwards. Apparently the usual "out" clauses that are in almost all NFL players contracts were not put into his contract.

Doesn't sound like it. Pats have cut him off...

Swimmer
06-30-2013, 11:26 AM
This whole thing must really suck for Tim Tebow.
Word is the Pats told him they were going to ditch the traditional passing game with Brady and install the Run & Shoot system and center it around Tebow & his old college team mate
:-)

I doubt that, they'd have to jettison the entire offensive line for players who could move to protecrt him.
Of course, your pulling my leg.

Swimmer
06-30-2013, 11:32 AM
He wont have any money left after his attorney's have been paid. Billable per hour charges at the firm where his two guys come must be close to a grand.

Team Sanchez
06-30-2013, 06:32 PM

Team Sanchez
06-30-2013, 06:47 PM
A source from providence journel told me that another patriot was with Hernandez during alleged double murder. And that patriot was Brandon Llyod. And he pointed to this for being the reason he had a sub par year. The source thinks/knows that there's more bombshells to this investigation to be dropped. Btw Llyod had nothing to do with it other than being at the wrong place with the wrong person at the wrong time....also mentioned possible Bill B. resignation bc he thinks patriots knew about incident and if nfl says someone's gotta go you know it won't be Kraft. He said this will blow penn st. Story out of the water.... Only time will tell??????

likwid
06-30-2013, 07:05 PM
A source from providence journel told me that another patriot was with Hernandez during alleged double murder. And that patriot was Brandon Llyod. And he pointed to this for being the reason he had a sub par year. The source thinks/knows that there's more bombshells to this investigation to be dropped. Btw Llyod had nothing to do with it other than being at the wrong place with the wrong person at the wrong time....also mentioned possible Bill B. resignation bc he thinks patriots knew about incident and if nfl says someone's gotta go you know it won't be Kraft. He said this will blow penn st. Story out of the water.... Only time will tell??????

Did a pig just fly by?
I think a pig just flew by.

Crap like that the Patriots/Belichick would have s**t canned Hernandez the moment they found it. Too much of a liability.

Your source is full of crap.

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Bill is too smart of a man. He wouldn't put his career on the line to cover up a murder for anyone.

Slipknot
06-30-2013, 08:06 PM
He thinks Patriots knew about incident ???
Really?
Well he thinks illogically and wrong
No way Bill jeopardizes his career or the organization.

likwid
06-30-2013, 09:11 PM
He thinks Patriots knew about incident ???
Really?
Well he thinks illogically and wrong
No way Bill jeopardizes his career or the organization.

Career, organization, his family, his SON'S career.

I guess projo is a slag rag?

Raider Ronnie
07-01-2013, 09:35 PM
I pick on the Pats probably more than most here combined and even I got to laugh at this !!!

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-01-2013, 09:37 PM
I pick on the Pats probably more than most here combined and even I got to laugh at this !!!

His name is Sanchez they may be related.

JohnnySaxatilis
07-02-2013, 04:22 AM
I wonder which button the rage murder will be? Stole this from my friends fb page LOL

capedeer/fish
07-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I wonder which button the rage murder will be? Stole this from my friends fb page LOL

LOL....nice!

Mike P
07-10-2013, 11:10 AM
All the so-called guaranteed money he supposedly has coming, do they really have to pay him? Mikep., what say you, or WPM?

Sorry, I've been across the Pond for the last 3 weeks.

It's academic. Whatever he's due (if anything) is going right into his lawyers' pockets. :D

Mike P
07-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Bill is too smart of a man. He wouldn't put his career on the line to cover up a murder for anyone.

True. He's too smart to get caught videotaping a former assistant a week or so after getting a memo from the league reminding every coach that it's illegal. :devil2:

Raider Ronnie
07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Smart has nothing to do with it.
Arrogance does.

QUOTE=Mike P;1005773]True. He's too smart to get caught videotaping a former assistant a week or so after getting a memo from the league reminding every coach that it's illegal. :devil2:[/QUOTE]