View Full Version : Shelter Island 38

Sea Dangles
07-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Got a ride today on the nicest boat in my marina. Twin diesels and 4 turbos later I could not get the smile off my face. This little kitten was purring while doing 50 mph in the river,Wow!30K worth of seating on the deck,oh boy.

spence
07-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a house boat. i.e. the boat cost as much as my house :hihi:

-spence

RIROCKHOUND
07-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Sounds like a house boat. i.e. the boat cost as much as my house :hihi:

-spence

More than mine.....

likwid
07-04-2013, 06:52 AM
From what locals say due to Billy Joel's involvement, you're paying alot of money for alot of paint and varnish covering 'ok' work.

Stick with Hunt. :hihi:

Sea Dangles
07-04-2013, 07:15 AM
decisions,decisions
I am sticking with the Onslow which is overpowered and would still get smoked by the 38'

likwid
07-04-2013, 07:56 AM
What are you looking for?

bobber
07-04-2013, 11:21 PM
but you could afford a coupla Onslows before you got close ot what that thing costs.....

Mr. Sandman
07-05-2013, 07:42 AM
I've been on one as well and they are the equivalent of a fine piece of high end floating furniture. The performance is outstanding and the fit and finish is among the best in the boating community. (Yes, many mega yachts have over-the-top fit and finish as well) but for the man who does not care what it cost, this is quite the ride. Perfect tender for your super yacht. No rod holders though :)
I have seen and a family member bid on Bernie Madoff's SI 38...it had 20 hours on it and it was a few years old in perfect condition. The problem with the bidding on this boat is that it it went well beyond its true value (based on what others in similar and condition were available for) ...there was an actual premium for being BM's boat...which he could give a damn about. So he had to walk. (he had 13 boats (up for auction)The sad part is his the next door neighbor bought it and has it moored in front of his house so he has to look at it every day now! It is back on SI now.
The other one in his fleet that I really like was a fully restored sport-fish 1960's rybovitch and this thing was sweet...I thought this was the best looking boat I have seen in a long while. I don't know who did the resto but man...it took them a looong time and a lot a'bucks. It was up to date modernized and done so with such care you would have believed it came from the original builder . If you have the coin it is amazing what you can do with boats.

Sea Dangles
07-05-2013, 08:23 AM
This is a commuter boat that the owner uses to go to Nantucket. I have drooled in the past when he gets on it after leaving the river. In the offseason he had the power replaced with diesels. It seems 15 hrs into the new power something went boom, check your oil filters gents. I was fortunate enough to be there when the tech put her through the paces.Too many goodies to list but I was told the 4 seats go for 7500. Each!

ProfessorM
07-06-2013, 06:40 AM
I know the one you speak of. I have been oogooling that boat since he got it Chris. Every time I go down to my sisters boat I check it out. Real pretty.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device