View Full Version : New England Power Plant Boat Ramp Permanately closed??

Hookedagain
07-04-2013, 01:47 PM
My son and I take my lab for a walk to the water about every other night or so. I launch my tin boat all winter long for duck hunting and have been using it since May for fishing the Taunton River. Last night we walked a mile and a half to let the dog swim and......CLOSED!!!! Not wood horses across the road....not a chain around closed gates....nope, WELDED SHUT! This tells me there is no plan to re-open it. I was there Tuesday and we had a ball with the dog....go back Wed and its shut down. I don't understand it. No warning, just close a place the gets used and there is no trouble there. If anyone has any info as to what happened or why they closed it let me know.

Clammer
07-04-2013, 05:53 PM
NOT SURE / BUT WASN,T THE PLANT & PROPERTY SOLD ;;

25 -30 years ago I used that ramp all winter to get to the intake / caught some serious fish there :fishin:

Hookedagain
07-04-2013, 07:01 PM
It was for sale....not sure if it sold. I am going to go down to the guard shack and ask some questions.

That intake/outflow is not in operation any longer. Since they built the cooling towers they are not allowed to discharge hot water there.

Clammer
07-04-2013, 07:53 PM
&&&&&&&&&& that,s why I,m not there .

back in the day /I made more money in the Lees river than anyone would believe .

If they had the digital, s back then I,d have some great photos to help me remember :fishin:

Hookedagain
07-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I am a half mile from the Lees river and spend a good part of the spring there. Also spend a lot of nights in the Coles River. Tons of quality fish there if you put in the time.

bloocrab
07-05-2013, 05:22 PM
That's sad to hear. I've used that area too... never to launch, but that stretch of shoreline always produced schoolies for me.

Mike, back in the day that discharge was phenomenal. I always got the "pass" when it was available. I remember getting there super early only to find out they had reached their limit of fishermen already (forget if it was 6 or 8), but somehow "jawwing Charlie" was ALWAYS there, in the corner too, he had to have slept there. Being young and dumb, sometimes I'd wait it out....leading me to either wait in the parking lot or fish this particular shoreline. Little by little, were losing more and more.

bloocrab
07-05-2013, 05:22 PM
They probably only own that small access area, I can't see them owning that entire stretch to the first house right? Just have to find an alternate route....:smash:

Hookedagain
07-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Already on it. They can't stop you from using the beach, only the access to get down there. I am working on a way in down off O'Neil Rd.

I did use the ramp quite a bit. They even dredged it out in April. Made it a lot better. And then CLOSED!