View Full Version : Gill net?

jmonte45
07-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Looking to get a gill net for pogies... Looking for suggestions on brands, lengths, etc... Not looking to get a ton of bait, maybe 20+ or so the night before or morning of... Talked to a few people already that have suggested at least 100'... I have a 17' whaler, so i'm sure that plays into it...

niko
07-07-2013, 08:11 PM
If the pogs are thick you can use a recreational net, 250 sq feet. If they are not a 100 footer or a little bigger is needed which you are supposed to have a liscence for. New England marine industrial down in brant rock can set you up
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

sokinwet
07-07-2013, 08:14 PM
100 x x 10 ; 3.5 stretch mesh; weighted downline and a floating headline w/ as few floats as legally possible. Check the reg's for required markings, etc.

jmonte45
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
thanks guys... i'm thinking just get the permit and 100' and not make it anymore difficult than it probably already will be...
Paul, gonna head up there tomorrow and see what they have to say, appreciate it.

Guppy
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
thanks guys... i'm thinking just get the permit and 100' and not make it anymore difficult than it probably already will be...
Paul, gonna head up there tomorrow and see what they have to say, appreciate it.

jmonte45,,, curious, how did you make out? Do they have them made up or is an order kind of thingy,,, now that I think of it, might as well bring the boat and launch up there :)

I use to have a floter,,, 50x6 or something like that. Worked great inside the launch harbor of the day, way before daylight.
From what I read,,,,, most harbors are closed for that now and will need a larger net and an endorsement on the com lic..... like I haven't given those guys enough money! :wall:
Chatham supply use to carry a, what they called a "bait net" that is pretty much what I described above,,,,, last time I asked they where out.
TIA
back to work,,, gup

fishsmith
07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Spider crabs love gill nets. Keep a rubber mallet handy.

MakoMike
07-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Add some bleach bottles or something similar to the top line, they never seen to have enough buoyancy on top. also add some anchor chain to the bottom corners, to help stretch the net out.

jmonte45
07-12-2013, 07:42 PM
They did have nets made up already, I ended up with the 50x8... I figured it'd be a good way to learn, and after talking to more people, it should do for what I'm looking for... The people in the store were real informative and I was impressed with the overall selection in the store...

Mike, thanks for the tips, makes sense because the floats aren't very big... And I was wondering about how well the sink line worked...

nightfighter
07-12-2013, 07:53 PM
If you get checked by the EPOs, just tell them you ordered a 40 X 6, which would be under the 250 sq ft limit allowing you to net without a permit....

I have buoys at either end, mostly for others to see it when set. Need to add some floatation to the middle. I also use window sash weights covered with epoxy to weight them down. The 50 x 8 will look like a handkerchief when set near others netting. But when you hit them good, you will be glad it is small. I have had a couple of sets that took me an hour to pick..... Just not lately.

jmonte45
07-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I actually ordered the $30 permit to avoid any issues... Figured I would cover my ass, if I didn't I'd probably get checked...

fishsmith
07-13-2013, 09:22 AM
This may be to obvious, but know your drift before setting the net, and as I'm sure you know Plymouth channels go from deep to dry in just a few feet. I've taken a few involuntary swims to clear the prop. Good luck, I hear the the pogies are starting to show up in some #'s again.

OLD GOAT
07-13-2013, 01:51 PM
PLEASE WEAR A PFD. If you fall into that net you might survive

MikeTLive
08-24-2013, 09:32 PM
how do you go about getting permit/license/endorsement when you don't already HAVE a commercial license?

bobber
08-25-2013, 10:28 PM
$100 for the rec gill net permit in CT...... friggin ridiculous

Guppy
08-26-2013, 05:56 AM
how do you go about getting permit/license/endorsement when you don't already HAVE a commercial license?

Permit required (2)
Regulated surface gillnet endorsement (no permit required for use of surface gillnet less than 250 square feet)

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dfg/dmf/commercialfishing/reg-summary.pdf

Also at DMF look up closures

MikeTLive
08-28-2013, 10:03 PM
thanks - i've had a bear of a time making sense of the regs.

given the square foot size restrictions, would it make sense to use multiple segments with gaps between to provide a greater length?

~~b---o---o---o---o---o---o---o---o---o---o---o--b~~
~~|~~~|~|~~~|~|~~~|~|~~~|~|~~~|~|~~~|~~
~~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~~
~~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~|xxxx|~~
~~|=============================|~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

beamie
08-29-2013, 05:46 AM
No. Your starting to overthink........

thefishingfreak
08-29-2013, 06:57 AM
you can catch with the small net, that meets the regs , make sure it's a 3.5" stretch so nothing gets away.