View Full Version : Helen H "coupon" from last years trip

Matt D
07-11-2013, 09:10 AM
I know we're a couple of months out before the canyon trips start, but is anybody who went on last year's trip from hell planning on trying again?

-Matt

niko
07-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm planning on going. Just going to watch the weather and book last minute
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ThrowingTimber
07-11-2013, 10:37 AM
In.

PRBuzz
07-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Maybe as long as the action is NOT at Hudson Canyon!

niko
07-11-2013, 09:21 PM
If we were a couple of days earlier one of us would have some fond memories of a bigeye

iamskippy
07-12-2013, 08:08 AM
I am still disapointed in the decision that outfit made to go and to and then try to charge, although i got my money back, safety should be a concern let alone putting customers on fish....

ThrowingTimber
07-12-2013, 09:42 AM
F it. I say we just get 6 guys and charter on canyon runner.

iamskippy
07-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I like that idea TT

niko
07-13-2013, 02:11 PM
castafari is $4300 for 4 guys, too rich for my blood. canyon runner must be in that ballpark. looks like i'm stuck on partyboats. we could try Viking fleet. fishnh does a bunch of trips with them. but you add in the pia factor of getting to montauk

Mr. Sandman
07-14-2013, 07:19 AM
I would look at the cost for these trips differently. If you had your own boat that could make a trip like that what would it cost to make a trip ? Probably more than 1500 bucks (which would be your all-in per person cost on a big sportfish charterboat). There are a lot of headaches behind the scenes on these trips that the paying passengers don't have to give a thought about. The best way to fish offshore is to troll. You need to really cover a lot of terratory. These sport fish boats are designed just to do this. You you are actually fishing a lot more on a charter boat where on a head boat you are really spending most of your time watching others. Most sportfish capt's are only going to make a run like that in good conditions. They don't want to get beat up and come back with little to show for it. It is not about surviving the trip...it is about having the best offshore experience one can get.

If your really want to make a memorable offshore trip...save your pennies and pick a good cap/crew to take you. It is far cheaper than running your own rig and a lot less stressful and it is a much better experience than a head boat.

The expense of these big boats are mind numbing. I recall one trip after two days of fishing offshore on a 63' sporty the fuel bull was 8K alone (and they didn't even top it off!!). It's a whole other world than what most normally do. But the memories were great!

niko
07-14-2013, 09:01 AM
where on a head boat you are really spending most of your time watching others

not really accurate jim, from dusk till dawn everyone is fishing.

PRBuzz
07-14-2013, 05:06 PM
not really accurate jim, from dusk till dawn everyone is fishing.

And some fish all though the night but that is slim pickens as I seem to be by myself with maybe 3-5 others on the boat! :)

likwid
07-14-2013, 05:47 PM
castafari is $4300 for 4 guys, too rich for my blood. canyon runner must be in that ballpark. looks like i'm stuck on partyboats. we could try Viking fleet. fishnh does a bunch of trips with them. but you add in the pia factor of getting to montauk

Viking Fleet runs a Montauk - New London ferry now.
Goes direct to their docks. Days it runs are limited though.

thefishingfreak
07-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Ill take you all out and you can beat the crap outta yourselves on stand up bluedogs then Hit market basket on the way home for some fresh sushi

Typhoon
07-15-2013, 01:19 PM
My only experiences in the canyons on sport boats SUCKED. SUCKED so bad I never have any interest in going back out again. I did recently get invited to go on a 60 ft hatteras GT. That's the only way i'm going back out.

Cocktails and canyon fishing. At least that way when the fishing sucks I can sit in the cockpit and enjoy the blue water.

keeperreaper
07-15-2013, 03:22 PM
F it. I say we just get 6 guys and charter on canyon runner.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

ThrowingTimber
07-17-2013, 10:44 AM
We're going to need more miller lights!!

Matt D
09-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Good reports on FB for their first two trips, especially the Labor Day weekend 3-day. Wish I could've jumped on this AM.

niko
09-03-2013, 03:03 PM
they r beating on them. victor wants to go too. I think I am jammed up this weekend though

keeperreaper
09-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Paul they are are n them very heavy right now. Looks to be a banner season.

ThrowingTimber
09-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Boat sold out when I called this am. Playing the waiting game for a standby spot.

MakoMike
09-05-2013, 08:10 AM
We used to do the run on my boat fairly often, we almost always had a ball. The few bad trips were more than overshadowed by the good ones. Put plenty of tuna on the decks and released more than a few big marlin.

Mr. Sandman
09-05-2013, 10:21 AM
With the limited number of trips you guys make per year...just get 4-5 guys and charter a big sportfish. Do it right.

sburnsey931
09-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Mulberry Canyon has open boat trips through October.
It's a 40' Cabo. A very nice boat with a great captain.

niko
09-10-2013, 07:24 PM
that's a nice rig. any idea how much the trips are?

Fish On
01-22-2014, 01:06 AM
Winter thoughts and snowstorm dreams.....I'd be up for a once in a decade or so bill for a 6 pack slot on a big sportfish out to the canyons. I brought my chest freezer down to New York with me so have plenty of room for a winter's worth of tuna. I'd go $1500 for an overnighter in good weather. Just thinking about it is fun and that's free!

niko
01-23-2014, 06:09 PM
talk to victor, he is trying to put a trip together