View Full Version : Catch & Release - My Rant

parker23
07-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Catch and Release – My Perspective

Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one!

So for what it’s worth; here is my take on the catch and release debate.

I am addicted to Striped Bass Fishing and have been for the last 40 plus years. It all started growing up on Mt. Hope Bay. In 1969 my parents bought a waterfront home in Swansea. My play ground was the beach across the river from Ocean Grove. My dad was an avid fisherman and has a 63lb bass skin-mount that he caught in 1966. I saw that fish hanging in the living room every day of my life and was and still am awed by it.

I was extremely fortunate to spend my youth playing, swimming, digging clams and quahogs and fishing for Bass, Bluefish and Squeteague. My fondest memories are nights in the boat with my father and grandfather filling fish boxes. Or mornings before school my dad and I would hit the beach for a few casts. The 1970’s and early 80's were amazing, Bass and huge Squeteague were very plentiful and we caught and ate a ton of fish. In the late 80’s, I was a diehard fly-fishing finatic and practiced catch and release exclusively. The minimum size was pretty high and most of the fish I caught were well under the legal limit. As the Bass population started to recover, I kept an occasional fish, nothing under 36” which was my personal minimum.

I am a large mammal and I like to eat flesh. My favorite flesh happens to be Striped Bass. I don’t keep anything under 36”. Because I figure that they have had at least 1 or 2 spawning cycles under their belt.

When I harvest a fish, I use everything. After filleting the bass, I boil the carcass and get all of the meat off the bones and freeze the stock for future use.

Last year I harvested 28 fish. So far this year, I am at 16 dead bass in my belly and have at least 25 gallons of delicious stock in the freezer. 20 years ago, I would have scoffed at someone who kept so many fish. Oh well, my opinion has changed as I have aged.

I love and respect Striped Bass. I am truly thankful for every fish I catch and release or take home for the table. It is my right to choose how I use this resource.

I think the current regulation of 2 fish @ 28” is ridiculous. I don’t have a solution; however, I think the minimum size should be increased substantially. Increasing the size to 36” or 38”, so that every female has an opportunity to spawn would help protect our valuable resource.

It does bother me when someone posts a picture of a nice bass and the thread gets hijacked by catch and release remarks. But that is only my opinion, therefore relevant to me alone.

Like I said; opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one! I have been called an a-hole and worse many times, most times it was deserved. As I get older, I really don’t give a hoot if you think I am a jerk because my opinion differs from yours.

I hope to catch and release a few fish tonight. If I am blessed by the Fish Gods, I will be filleting a fish around 2 am Friday morning.

spence
07-11-2013, 03:45 PM
I think freezing fish is immoral.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ian
07-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I think freezing fish is immoral.

I used to think that, but I thawed a chunk from a tourney fish from last fall a few weeks ago... Not as good as fresh... But still really really good

Zeno
07-11-2013, 05:46 PM
what did you say "Opinions are like '
yeah
I don't have a problem with anyone's opinions. In fact, I love hearing what other people think. How are you ever going to learn something new otherwise?
I am scared of what I see, in my local spots. The spots I fished for last twenty years or so. Those spots that always had a fish or two, anytime I went. Its been almost a month since I've seen a fish there. Yeah, they might be migrating offshore, they might not like hot weather. Or don't care for NY taxes to take up residence..but I have never seen it this bare..ever

numbskull
07-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Keeping an occasional medium fish to eat is no big deal.

Killing a large fish (and its millions of eggs) to show it off, weigh it for curiousity's sake, or win a prize,....while a totally valid and legal use of the resource.....is an intensely selfish act given the present state of the fishery.

The truth is that most fishermen don't care and, moreover, many are proud of it.
So it goes, it is a public resource and belongs to all types.

fishrick
07-11-2013, 06:34 PM
I respect both ways, I hunt too, and there is no catch and release there. I keep what I am going to eat...and I do eat it. And prepare it, and vacuum pack it. I keep panfish, stripers, walleye, as I like them. Have become a striper addict , and release, by far, most of my fish. I like to eat the 28-30" specimens, meat is finer, release the others. I am impressed by "parkers" use of all the fish, and he clearly does. Many folks I have seen waste them, they keep them just to take home and show. Not for me. Good thread.

bassballer
07-11-2013, 06:39 PM
How many of your fish that you stick in the face and throat with xtra strong hooks release actually live. I released a 30 yesterday that in my gut I don't think made it. What's the post release death rate?

N.ShoreFisher
07-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I keep what I catch when it's legal size. Plain and simple. I take my limit and go home. I don't spend more time fishing and potentially injuring or mortally wounding fish after I catch my "keepahs". This is how I feed my family, and I'm proud to be able to do it. I'm a stickler for size, 27 3/4" is not 28". I don't hold fish out of the water for photos if their not going in my freezer, except for one tiny fish at the beginning of the season. I hate seeing pictures of "release guys" holding these massive fish by the cheeks and gills, boasting that they released the fish....like many of those things actually live after getting a fist in their gills. I also don't believe in fighting a fish on light tackle, getting the fish to fight to exhaustion. This is just me. I had a buddy tell me that I should start releasing more fish, as he was holding his by the gills. If you're gonna release, do it with the utmost responsibility and care. If you're gonna keep, stay in the legal size limits and catch daily limits. Dispatch the fish quickly and humanely. That's just my opinion.

Rappin Mikey
07-11-2013, 07:40 PM
I keep what I kill. About 10 out of a few hundred a year. I'll be dead sooner than I want to be anyway. Must be Karma I guess. Love life. Eat fish. It might give you a few more minutes with the Omega 3s. Anyway, life is too short!!!Foff

Sea of Atlas
07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
As Numbskull stated its a public resource. Not many have the altruism to consider what's best for the fish and for all of the people. Ego is a big thing, obviously everyone thinks they are right for their own reasons. The mortality rate of released fish is not so high as to say it is as futile as some may claim. I think its going to be a combination of concessions to increase the health of the population. The old timers say the good ole' days are gone, so should go the old way of thinking. The ocean is not an endless resource.

thefishingfreak
07-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Wait till Sunday when 997,869 pounds hit the open market

tysdad115
07-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Most times when I go, I don't catch anything. That takes hours of concentration and dedication. Raw talent. If I actually luck into a fish, I release it, unless its gill hooked or deep hooked. When I first started a short time ago I kept my share of fish, then I started learning more. Now I am C&R, only my opinion and I'm an ahole.

shadow
07-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Good post parker I have to agree I have always felt a sence of accomplishment being able to harvest a meal for my family . We love seafood and seafood I can provided is nice. Not to mention eating local fish. There are so many reasons to eat what we have available to us. Iam not one who will harvest more then one fish at a time and I have my own guide line on the size of the fish I like to take. Most of the guys who get mad at the guys who kill a large fish (witch I try not to unless its a trophy ) are not the guys who catch large fish, at least
With any consistency, the guys who do dont usually voice there opion .

RIROCKHOUND
07-11-2013, 09:27 PM
yeah
I don't have a problem with anyone's opinions. In fact, I love hearing what other people think. How are you ever going to learn something new otherwise?
I am scared of what I see, in my local spots. The spots I fished for last twenty years or so. Those spots that always had a fish or two, anytime I went. Its been almost a month since I've seen a fish there. Yeah, they might be migrating offshore, they might not like hot weather. Or don't care for NY taxes to take up residence..but I have never seen it this bare..ever

x2

piemma
07-12-2013, 02:53 AM
yeah

Z:
I agree with the principles being expressed in this thread but....

You know I am one of the "old guard" having done this for a very long time. I am having the best year since maybe the mid-70s. I think one of the answers, and I don't know the reason, is the fish now stage in different places.

In the boat, I have been catching in places that never held fish, and I always hit these places because they looked "fishy". This year, on certain tides, there has been a ton of big fish in places that I never caught anything.

I still believe, as almost everyone else does, that 2 @ 28" is ridiculous. When the heck will the fisheries management wake up and make it 1 @ 36"?

Zeno
07-12-2013, 03:49 AM
I don't disagree. Maybe the whole thing is changing. And I am glad you are having an awesome season. Just concerned, that is it

RickBomba
07-12-2013, 04:46 AM
I keep what I kill. About 10 out of a few hundred a year. I'll be dead sooner than I want to be anyway. Must be Karma I guess. Love life. Eat fish. It might give you a few more minutes with the Omega 3s. Anyway, life is too short!!!Foff

Yeah,
I'm with Mikey. Generally, I'll keep a few in June and a few in the fall. The ones that I release go back very nicely. I really like striper and so does the family. The ones that #^&#^&#^&#^&y and I caught on Father's Day were used for Father's Day dinner for Jess' family.

The biggest one that I ever caught went back. I just googled Foff and agree with Mikey, too. Don't make us go all Sharknado on your $$ses!

Rick

saltyric
07-12-2013, 05:40 AM
I'm all for harvesting as long as it gets eaten....fresh or frozen. Personally, I dont eat a lot of bass, but hey, if you like it eat it!

Am I the only one that missed SharkNado last night....ha.....Its even on CNN

Jackbass
07-12-2013, 05:56 AM
Well my season has been terrible and it's all you guys fault that kill fish lol! It can't have anything to do with me. I am awesome just ask me.

BigFish
07-12-2013, 05:57 AM
I say do what feels right to you personally and don't criticize others for what they feel is right! C and R is easy for guys who do not eat bass! I eat bass and I enjoy the hell out of it....I don't keep more than 8 or 10 fish a season and considering how much time and money and effort I put in I think that's great! I do not waste any of it I can tell you that! I am all about the resource and helping to keep it productive! As long as folks are staying within the bounds of the law......who are any of us to criticize who keeps what they catch as long as its legal? I actually have better things to do than read about people whining about what other people do! If someone is that ardent about conservation and protecting the stocks maybe they should sell their gear and give up fishing all together because whether you keep or release you do your share in the mortality dept.

BigFish
07-12-2013, 06:01 AM
PS- Any fish you are buying in the market to consume is no different than someone catching and keeping it themselves! You cause just as much harm to the fishery be it cod, haddock, fluke, flounder, tuna....whatever! SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!

JFigliuolo
07-12-2013, 07:01 AM
PS- Any fish you are buying in the market to consume is no different than someone catching and keeping it themselves! You cause just as much harm to the fishery be it cod, haddock, fluke, flounder, tuna....whatever! SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!

I would argue store caught fish takes a higher toll on the fishery. Figure dead by catch, and what gets tossed from markets/restaurants because it goes bad. How much fish REALLY dies for the fillet at get at the store?

JohnR
07-12-2013, 07:11 AM
We, as a recreational group, kill a lot of fish, whether bound for the table or through post C&R mortality.

There are less fish out there - we see it with our own eyes - yet the fisheries managers put the targets in the sustainable levels (though in the lower ranges of sustainable methinks).

We need to do what we can to reduce our take to what is necessary and to foster a better post C&R mortality.

Balance, Daniel-san, balance.

BigFish
07-12-2013, 07:24 AM
I am catching less if that helps??? LOL!

Sea Dangles
07-12-2013, 07:36 AM
We, as a recreational group, kill a lot of fish, whether bound for the table or through post C&R mortality.

There are less fish out there - we see it with our own eyes - yet the fisheries managers put the targets in the sustainable levels (though in the lower ranges of sustainable methinks).

We need to do what we can to reduce our take to what is necessary and to foster a better post C&R mortality.

Balance, Daniel-san, balance.

Just keep trying for the cup, the stocks will rebound eventually.
Or not...

Rockfish9
07-12-2013, 07:41 AM
keep what you need... release the rest in a timely manner.. nothing wrong with a plate of fresh caught fish.... even frozen it's still is fresher and healtheir than anything you can buy in the store...

but anyone that doesn't think there is a lapse in year classes surely has their head in the sand... and IMHO, that is just what it is a lapse( poor year classses)not over fishing.. just because one area is producing well does not mean "all is well"....large fish are much scarcer along the majority of coast line than they have been in many years .. and as these fish grow old.. it's to be expected..it's not a bait issue... there are acres of mackerel, squid sand eels and more whiting than I have seen since the 70's.... the most encoraging thing is the number of small and medium fish ( to about 15lbs)....they are everywhere... even taking up huants normally patroled by much larger specimines.. I'm not saying the larger fish are gone... "50's" are still around .. even to the NH boarder....

PaulS
07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
yeah

I agree. As long as it is legal, I don't have a problem w/people taking fish. I think the regs. need to be changed though.

JohnR
07-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Just keep trying for the cup, the stocks will rebound eventually.
Or not...

I have weighed in less fishing tournament bass than you, both by design and by skill and opportunity

I agree. As long as it is legal, I don't have a problem w/people taking fish. I think the regs. need to be changed though.

Agree

Mr. Sandman
07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I plan to alert the EPO of all the scup poachers out there tomorrow and point them to the heavy hitters...be ready to dump and run but someone may sneak up on you stealth like.

My signature block states how I feel. This is a proven approach. Anything else is speculation.

SB is too valuable to commercialize. History is not an excuse to continue doing what is wrong. The fish is worth far more to mankind as a rec fish.

bassballer
07-12-2013, 11:46 AM
i hate cleaning fish. Thats why im mostly C&R or else id probably keep a couple more.

I made some bad ass striped-bass tacos tuesday night.

RickBomba
07-12-2013, 12:10 PM
i hate cleaning fish. Thats why im mostly C&R or else id probably keep a couple more.

I made some bad ass striped-bass tacos tuesday night.

I also had bad ass striped bass tacos Tuesaday night.

I would say we Sharknadoed them.:spam:

Steve K
07-12-2013, 01:00 PM
I would say we Sharknadoed them.:spam:

I recorded Sharknado last night. I am looking forward to watching it.

tattoobob
07-12-2013, 05:30 PM
I don't give a rats ass what anyone is doing with there fish, all I care about is what I do. The fishery is
mismanaged an until that changes it won't get any better

BigFish
07-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Tattoo Bob for President!

nightfighter
07-12-2013, 08:22 PM
I don't keep many, but if I do, it is going to be eaten that day. However, I had a lot of family in over the 4th, so had to put them on fish to keep. Four days of that chit... Two were from Virginia and are hunters, so they wanted to take some home. They took their four, but I wasn't going to keep another two, which would have counted as my fish. As hunters who harvest deer, they at least understood where I was coming from.
I don't keep fish for the freezer until September, and even then it might only be two fish. I would rather have cod for those winter stews.
As for the high mortality rate of released fish.... I don't buy it. at least on my boat and my releases. If it looks like a legal fish wont make it, I'll keep it. Shorts are going to be given their chance to fend for themselves. Makes me sick to see a floater though....

Jenn
07-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Although not raised an actual farmer...I was raised a farmers daughter and that is close enough. If you catch it and its legal you eat it. If your not going to eat it( or give it to someone that will) you let it go. Its only ok to keep and not eat if its a once in a lifetime fish and it will go on the wall (you do this only once, so make it count!)

I have no problem with people keeping fish if they are beingconsumed or as I stated above that once in a lifetime fish to mount. If someone keeps often just to show off then I feel disgusted by it. Also dont like the "holier than though" attitude of the "catch and release" few that feel they kill none. Get over your ego...your still potentially killing some even if you let them go.

Last but not least I would rather see one fisherman take 5 keepers on 5 single lines with hooks to keep multiple pounds of striper than to see a massive boat with a massive net catch one pound of shrimp and throw 40 pounds of dead/or going to be dead "by-catch" over the side. this happening every minute sickens me way more than one guy keeping a 70 pound bass once in his life.