View Full Version : How do you learn boating?

Rockport24
07-15-2013, 02:51 PM
so if I ever want to buy a boat, how would you guys suggest I go about learning the proper way to use it?
I have zero boating experience besides tooling around a lake in my buddy's ski boat in college. Should I take a class, go out on a charter?

I have a pretty good sense for the "rules of the road" since I have been kayaking in the ocean for a long time now, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

fishsmith
07-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Charters are great to learn spots/technique. You'll learn a bit about boating too, but who wants to learn about boating when you can fish? If you've got any buddies with boats in the area you'll be boating, that would be my suggestion, pay for their fuel and get some OJT. A coast guard auxiliary course is always helpful too. Lastly, just remember 'red right return' and you'll know more than most on the water. :) good luck, if you got the $$ and the time, go for it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
07-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Just remember that there is more to it than just driving. I suggest you take the CG course. I am constantly amazed at the number of big expensive boats I see up on the sand bar at Oakland Beach and Conimicut Point. Green cans everywhere and these guys are all on the wrong side headed out.

Another pet peeve of mine is, "boat on your right has the right of way". I'd like to have a dollar for every time I have had to heave too to avoid an impending collision. Just the other day I had a guy in the middle of Narr bay down by Hope island barrel across my bow. We were on a definite collision course and if I hadn't backed down there would have been one. Even more unbelievable is he had 2 small kids on board without life jackets on. BTW, yes I was on his right but he could have cared less.

Rockport24
07-15-2013, 04:41 PM
yeah that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about, I think I'm still a couple of years out but just doing some thinking lately...

PRBuzz
07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
I'll take you boating any time! I learned by first doing charters, then had 2 friends with boats that let me navigate/drive, then bought my own and realized how little I knew! Since them mostly OTJ training and additionally learning skills from guys I take out that are much more proficient than I even at running my own boat.

Slipknot
07-15-2013, 05:07 PM
First get your certificate by taking the Power Squadron course or the Coast Guard course.
Safety first.
Then buy a boat if your pockets are deep enough.:)
There are people you can learn boat handling from if you want to pay for lessons, and I'm sure friends can help too.
And yes , like on Massachusetts roads you have to drive defensively as Piemma points out :hs: lots of morons out there.

nightfighter
07-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Power squadron.
Matt, I can help you out too. Funny this has come up. The launch service owner and I have a few "customers" this year who wanted lessons, most importantly they wanted to learn how to dock their own boat! The two I have worked with had no concept of wind, current, their own boat's wind profile, or how far the boat will travel in neutral. Each boat design handles a little differently. Some inboards with small rudders won't back down in a desired direction like an outboard will. Call me.

Van
07-15-2013, 08:12 PM
I learned from my dad and his mistakes. LOL.......Take a safety course and then put your time in. No substitute for time on the water experience.

bassballer
07-15-2013, 08:22 PM
I grew up on the water with my Dad. I learn more everyday. I guess I'm just learning by spending as much time as possible on the water.

bloocrab
07-15-2013, 11:35 PM
I found the CG/EP class very informative...it provides you with a lot of the rules of the sea as well as some common sense information, but it's only about 5% of what you really need to know.

In a perfect world, what you would really want ...would be to have someone very experienced with a similar type boat....take you out on YOUR boat and teach you as much as they could about handling certain situations, in certain conditions...explain things in a more "lay-man" type way that you may not get from the dealer or the private owner that sold you the boat. As most already know, most boaters don't follow the rules taught in the CG class. Right on red, mellow on yellow...etc//...you'll find your way around that.
Simple things, although embarrassing to ask sometimes are things like....how to best approach the ramp or slip, what to ask yourself before pulling away (some type of mental or even written check list) how to fully utilize your electronics. What 2-4' waves really means depending on past or future weather patterns, what your boat can comfortably handle, what to do in a possible emergency (before calling "Sea-Tow") which I highly recommend purchasing, whether from them or some other company...There's just so much to learn. You will learn most of it with your own experiences...however, if someone gives you a hands-on explanation leading you in the right direction....the learning curve will be more enjoyable and SAFER.

I only have a dory, but am looking to upgrade....so I know nothing compared to most.
Good luck, take up offers from members on here who are willing to show or teach you some stuff. Lot of good people on here who truly want to help. Research their posts first, you also don't want some tire-kicking wave-jockey looking to take advantage of your innocence.

saltyric
07-16-2013, 05:14 AM
First get your certificate by taking the Power Squadron course or the Coast Guard course.
Safety first.
Then buy a boat if your pockets are deep enough.:)
There are people you can learn boat handling from if you want to pay for lessons, and I'm sure friends can help too.
And yes , like on Massachusetts roads you have to drive defensively as Piemma points out :hs: lots of morons out there.

DITTO

Guppy
07-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Aux CC boat safety course for sure.
Hang around boat ramps on weekends, you'll see a ton of how not to's. :)
Not sure up your way but around here CC you can rent
If you are ever down this way give me a PM, you can chauffeur me around while I fish! :biglaugh:

Nebe
07-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Most boating skills are simple common sense

MakoMike
07-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Power squadron or CG course, then get a copy of Chapman's "small boat handling and seamanship" and read it cover to cover.

Rockfish9
07-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Most boating skills are simple common sense

Ding... ding ... ding... winner winner chicken dinner.... unfortunatly.. common sense is not so common.... but it is the absolute truth...next is experience.. this can be gained in the school of hard knocks or with the aid of a friend..... power squadron coarse will teach you the rules of the road.. but in the end... common sense and repect for you own hide ( taking evasive action even when you are in the right) will keep you out of trouble...

Nebe
07-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Aside from common sense, having a friend with a boat who you can go out with frequently to be a mentor would also be a good idea. Let him know that you need lessons and if he is a good teacher, perhaps be will tell you what he is doing and thinking as he operates his vessel.

Rockport24
07-16-2013, 09:31 AM
wow great info here thanks guys and thanks to for the offers, very generous of you. I will be in touch!
So "Power squadron" is a real thing huh? I'll get on it.

Docking and handling in tight locations (like close to rocks) is what concerns me the most, I bounce off rocks all the time in the yak, I'm guessing not a good idea in a boat!

The Dad Fisherman
07-16-2013, 10:19 AM
I bounce off rocks all the time in the yak, I'm guessing not a good idea in a boat!

Maybe Clammer will chime in on that one :hihi:

bassballer
07-16-2013, 10:50 AM
wow great info here thanks guys and thanks to for the offers, very generous of you. I will be in touch!
So "Power squadron" is a real thing huh? I'll get on it.

Docking and handling in tight locations (like close to rocks) is what concerns me the most, I bounce off rocks all the time in the yak, I'm guessing not a good idea in a boat!

Docking and handling will just come with practice. My advise is SLOW SLOW SLOW, and put out a bunch of fenders. Have your hook ready. Better to pull yourself in then slam the dock.

piemma
07-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Maybe Clammer will chime in on that one :hihi:

Listen, if you crawl around the rock in your boat at night like I do, you are going to hit a rock now and then. The secret is to have the motor tipped up, have a stainless prop. Same with Mike. He and I have our names on a lot of rock in Narr bay but we get fish. I go real, real slow when I'm in the rocks tight and have the motor up so just enough is touching to suck water and give me a little push. Actually took me a few year to where I am comfortable doing it. I had my heart in my mouth this morning as I was in 6 feet if water and I saw a big boulder looming up at 3 feet. We missed it.

RIJIMMY
07-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I bounced off rocks all the time while drifting. My prop had all kids of dings. Like Piemma said, thats where the fish are.
Just have to know your limits and where the danger is and be sure you have a plan and method to get out of danger. Water can change quickly.

Rmarsh
07-17-2013, 05:42 AM
Rockport....So glad you brought up this subject. This is my first year boating, so I have a lot to learn. I am taking baby steps right now.

It is great that the guys here with so much experience are giving us their advice! I will be paying very close attention, these guys know stuff that the courses and books don't tell you.

I have done a lot of reading, but nothing beats hands on experience.

Just yesterday, I launched the boat, tied up to the dock, and went to park my truck and trailer. When I returned to the boat I noticed a little water sloshing around on the floor...yep... I forgot to put the transom plug in! Instantly jumped over the side into about 5 ft. of water and screwed the plug in.

My point is that sometimes you have to learn by your mistakes.

Rockport24
07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
interesting, for some reason I thought that hitting rocks, even at slow speed would do some damage. I guess I am equating it to a car, for example, you hit a pole or something, even at 1mph, you are going to have a dent...

piemma
07-17-2013, 12:12 PM
interesting, for some reason I thought that hitting rocks, even at slow speed would do some damage. I guess I am equating it to a car, for example, you hit a pole or something, even at 1mph, you are going to have a dent...

Depends how hard you hit them. I bump submerged boulders all the time with no damage. But I am not under power usually drifting around.

bassballer
07-17-2013, 01:08 PM
If you bump rock wheres im fishing your Effed!

Zeal
07-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Boating license helps, though I guess that would equal the class/certification.

I learned how to drive a boat long before driving a car and it was under a man who was in the navy and had 50+ years experience (the boat had a rounded tip and no power steering!).

Like others have said, if you know someone who had a boat and knows their stuff, have them go out with you on your boat and be your driving instructor.

Also, know how long it takes for your propeller to go up or down and know how far up and down it goes so it doesn't beat down into the bottom(I see/hear this too many times)!

If you don't know a certain area, go slow, you'd rather move slow and avoid going 30 knots just to slam up on a bar. Know what places get very shallow during the tides and also where the boat is going to be headed on a drift (again, I've seen people drift right on to a bar and couldn't get off it).

Another common thing people seem to not get is knowing how to untangle the propeller if they drove through a bunch of seaweed or someone's crab trap lines.

Lastly, get yourself POLARIZED SUNGLASSES. Will save your butt more than once!

numbskull
07-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Find a friend with a pick up truck, on a rainy day have him drive over every curb he can find while you stand up in the back with your wallet open letting bills fly out by the dozen. It is good practice for owning a boat.

Night Shift
07-28-2013, 11:34 AM
^^^too funny!

I got an invitation to go harpooning this year. The boat I was on and the two others working with us saw plenty of fish and even threw a few times at some very spooky fish. Long story short, no fish, and a 60 mile trip back to the dock. On the long steam back, one of the guys on the radio stated how he felt like the guy in the insurance commercial.

...the guy with all of the 5's, 10's an 20's flying off of him as he drives.

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Rockport....So glad you brought up this subject. This is my first year boating, so I have a lot to learn. I am taking baby steps right now.

It is great that the guys here with so much experience are giving us their advice! I will be paying very close attention, these guys know stuff that the courses and books don't tell you.

I have done a lot of reading, but nothing beats hands on experience.

Just yesterday, I launched the boat, tied up to the dock, and went to park my truck and trailer. When I returned to the boat I noticed a little water sloshing around on the floor...yep... I forgot to put the transom plug in! Instantly jumped over the side into about 5 ft. of water and screwed the plug in.

My point is that sometimes you have to learn by your mistakes.

Lmao! My 15 mako has 4 yes 4 plugs. I forgot a plug only one time. The other 3 were in. I realized something was wrong when I was about 50 yards out of the hix bridge ramp and the boat was slow, heavy and not plaining out (sinking!) lol. I hauled azz back in a panic and had my buddy back the trailer back down. Luckily he was still in the truck getting ready to park the trailer. I did a few circles while he backed down and drove up on to the trailer and let her drain out. Put the last plug in and good to go. I triple check the 4 plugs ever since.

bloocrab
07-28-2013, 10:54 PM
:smash:...a long time ago <<like 2 weeks>>, ...while in a hurry to get her in, thinking I had everything all set....I backed the trailer into the water...saw her butt-end floating...the front tie-down rope in my partners hand and started pulling out. Nope, she's still on...boat must not have been in far enough...backed up again, a little deeper...saw more of her floating, pulled out again,,, she was still hanging on...:wall:...thinking, "I'll get you this time B@#$H!, ....I backed in for the 3rd time and just before gunning it, realized the safety chain was still connected to the bow/keel cleat.......yeah, It's all fun until somebody gets hurt....we were both eye-balling the rear and never thought to look at the bow...the play in the chain gave the impression she was loose....always an adventure.

Rmarsh
07-29-2013, 06:13 AM
I went out in the boat again yesterday and made another newbie mistake.

We decided to pull up to a spot known locally as "boat beach".
Saw lots of other boats pulled up there so I picked a spot just a little down the beach and went in and set the anchor up on the sand.

After just a few minutes I realized that with the tide dropping my boat was getting stuck, tried to move it but it was already too late.

Fortunately, a very kind gentleman, noticed my situation and offered his help. I tied my 3/8" dock lines from my transom tie down to his stern cleat. As he pulled with his boat, I pushed from the sand. Then the line snapped. That's when I realized that the heavy 3/4" rope I usually bring wasn't in the hatch where I keep it.

We try again, this time with my anchor rope, which is 1/2" I think.
It held up much better and this time the boat starts moving and is back floating again.

So I learned another thing or two. Keep a good tow rope "with" you, and be carefull about beaching when the tide is dropping. :smash:

zacs
07-29-2013, 09:43 AM
be carefull about beaching when the tide is dropping. :smash:

A critical lesson learned! whether clamming, flats fishing, or just beaching for a day of fun...

spence
07-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Funny, if I bought a boat there are several here that would probably stage an intervention for the safety for my family.

RIROCKHOUND
07-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Funny, if I bought a boat there are several here that would probably stage an intervention for the safety for my family.

:wave:

Rockport24
07-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Find a friend with a pick up truck, on a rainy day have him drive over every curb he can find while you stand up in the back with your wallet open letting bills fly out by the dozen. It is good practice for owning a boat.

:rotflmao:

I believe you, but so many of you guys just love the things, that I figure it's something I have to do in this life! I can't even begin to describe the enjoyment I've got from my kayak, I imagine this will be the same. This is all hopes and dreams for me at this point though!