View Full Version : Notice starting battery was not getting a charge

Mr. Sandman
07-16-2013, 11:17 AM
The fancy monitoring gauges I installed last season indicated that my starting bank was not getting charged properly, it was intermittent with long periods of nothing. I went down their with my meter and determined the selonoid connection was connecting the banks as they should when there was a positive charge but there was a big voltage drop across it. I called up xantrex and chatted with a tech guy who knew what he was talking about and with a couple more tests we determined it was a circuitry issue and the device needs replacing. The unfortunate thing is xanrex was bought out by a bigger company and no longer makes these switches. It seems to work sometimes but will go for days not working. I shut it down because it was sending bizarre and incorrect error lights that bothered me.. Today I installed a Balmar device that is similar to the regulator I have and it seems to work well for the 1 hour where tested it. I will have to rip out the old thing this winter..

It is always something...I just keep beating on the problems until they go away. I feel like I have most of them now(knock on wood) The good thing is the monitor flagged the problem before it became a starting issue offshore.

MakoMike
07-17-2013, 08:03 AM
another good idea down the crapper. :)