View Full Version : question?

striperjerk1
06-16-2003, 10:01 AM
hey guys, got a question.
1 can you tru wire an old plug or new plug that has screw in eyes that holds the hooks? im not a plug builder but maybe have someone do it if it is possible.
2 will it change the effect of the plug? or should i just use super glue to hold it better. thanks
sorry didn,t see the screwed?? post.

winchmaster
06-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Can you through wire a old screw eye plug?
This is a real good question. My assumption is your dealing with an old plug your trying to refurbish. The screw eyes have failed in the wood and your looking to strengthen the plug.
Questions I see:
1. Will through wiring this type of plug effect it's swimability?

2. Can the plug be fixed with an epoxy plug instead?

3. Is it really worth the effort?

Now with me doing as much refurbishing as I have done I have never ever Had the thought to wire a screwed plug. Mostly because on the westcoast our plugs were mostly through wired.
But I would say with most of the plugs out there it would be possible to change over a screw eye to a through wire. The problems I see would be knowing what type of drilling you will have to do. Certain plugs are drilled off center , while others can be straight drilled. This will be a hit and miss process for you to experiment with as you seem to be hitting new ground so we want a report from you.
Any one else have any ideas?

striperjerk1
06-16-2003, 05:20 PM
thanks winchmaster, but this is on a new plug.a bottle swimmer.
i thought that i could strenghten the hooks a little better by tru wiring. not that the screw eyes are not strong but tru wire would be a little better. or maybe i should leave it alone and just glue the screw eyes in. maybe im just into to much custom made plugs. lol i could let one of the guys here play with it and see what they can come up with.
thanks

Jigman
06-17-2003, 07:26 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;) Refurbishing an old plug I might give it a try if the screw eyes were rusting out and seemed lose. Unless there is something wrong with the screw eyes on that new plug, I would not try to thru-wire it. If you mess up, you have ruined a new plug.

Jigman

winchmaster
06-17-2003, 12:06 PM
I agree with jigman, on the old plugs, try reglueing new eyes in. the epoxy aka guzz glue should do the trick. But if you feel the need to explore and are not worried about success or failure then do the dental route and drill through. We all learned from experimenting ourselves.

striperjerk1
06-17-2003, 12:49 PM
thanks for the responses, i was just curios.? i,ll just glue em up as jigman suggested. and see what happens.