View Full Version : What is best way to launder cloths ofter poison ivy exposure

Saltheart
07-22-2013, 06:07 PM
I plan to be cutting some limbs , bushes etc and will likely tread through Poison Ivy. I will be all covered up but wonder the best way to clean the cloths afterwards. Will a normal washing with laundry detergent do it? Can you spread the oil to other cloths you later wash in the same machine? Etc.

What's the best way to clean the cloths you wear to protect yourself while working around Poison Ivy

nightfighter
07-22-2013, 06:57 PM
With a match....

But my laundress extraordinaire says; extreme hot water, regular detergent, color safe bleach, rinse twice. Gloves putting them in the washer too. That crap had me hospitalized once as a kid.... Wont go near it if I see it on a jobsite, or anywhere else.

The Dad Fisherman
07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Use crap clothes and get rid of them afterwards.....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

iamskippy
07-22-2013, 09:10 PM
With a match....

But my laundress extraordinaire says; extreme hot water, regular detergent, color safe bleach, rinse twice. Gloves putting them in the washer too. That crap had me hospitalized once as a kid.... Wont go near it if I see it on a jobsite, or anywhere else.

As a kid i was hospitalized for over a week and was near death so i have to be very careful as well, the extreme hot water on your cloths is perfect was twice if possible, when you shower after use cold water it will keep your pores closed, also try to rinse very well before you wash if you got right to it, you will rub the stuff in(dont use a face cloth or luffa for the first wash use your hands) and will ensure an outbreak.

Hope this helps and good luck, be safe.

Redsoxticket
07-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Duct tape base of your gloves to the cuffs of your sleeves to prevent skin exposure.