View Full Version : I Need Alot of Help...

WCWes
07-28-2013, 09:21 PM
So here's the story, i recently purchased a 11'3'' cabelas surf rod and a Penn fierce 7000 reel. On the reel i have 20lb braid with a 40lb mono shock leader. Now the problem, whenever i attempt to cast the lure it goes a extremely short distance, or it stops short and slams into the water. I thought maybe it was my knot from braid to mono, but after a while of practicing i though i tied a pretty good "improved albright knot". Is my rod to big for me? Is my reel to big for casting lures? Is my knot really #^&#^&#^&#^&ty? Do i just suck at casting? Any advice would help. (Fishing for stripers on the West coast usually off beaches).

BigFish
07-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Sounds as if you are releasing the line too late??

Rob Rockcrawler
07-28-2013, 09:51 PM
I would eliminate the knot all together and just tie to a swivel then a short leader to your lure. That would at least eliminate anything funky with your knots.

DonLBI
07-28-2013, 10:15 PM
What is the lure rating on the rod?

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-28-2013, 10:20 PM
I would eliminate the knot all together and just tie to a swivel then a short leader to your lure. That would at least eliminate anything funky with your knots.

Yup. Swivel and 3 feet max on the leader. And maybe a breakaway clip instead of a direct tie to your lure. No need at all for a shock leader.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-28-2013, 10:23 PM
And get rid of the 20 braid if you are looking to catch bigger fish. Keep your braid a little heavier or around the same as your leader

bloocrab
07-28-2013, 10:29 PM
As stated, your braid to mono connecting knot is hanging you up <assuming your shocker-knot is wrapped around your spool when casting> ...if it's not, than you missed one of the eyes while threading the rod with line...:devil2:

WCWes
07-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Thanks! So ill try a braid to swivel to a short leader for now, and farther along the road I will get bigger braid.

WCWes
07-29-2013, 01:37 AM
Yup. Swivel and 3 feet max on the leader. And maybe a breakaway clip instead of a direct tie to your lure. No need at all for a shock leader.

For the leader size can I keep it at 40 lb or should I change it?

Mr. Sandman
07-29-2013, 04:17 AM
:) open the bail before you cast.

numbskull
07-29-2013, 05:30 AM
I suspect you may be getting line loops around a guide when you cast. If the guides are large and the braid fine this is a set up for the line to tangle on a guide and cause trouble. Another issue (if you are very inexperienced) is bail flip. If you cast too violently the reel handle may turn and the bail may close stopping the cast. This should be evident if the bail is already shut when you go to start your retrieve.

Why don't you just ask a more experienced fisherman to cast your rod a few times and see if he can trouble shoot it for you?

puppet
07-29-2013, 06:23 AM
Follow the suggestions and check the load rating for your rod. Like if its rated for 3-6 oz and your throwing 1/2 oz...your casting distance will suffer.

If it is rated over 2 oz...you will want to change out that mainline sooner than later...it could be dangerous to by-standers.

FishermanTim
07-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Is the rod a 1-piece or a 2-piece?
If it's 2-piece chec to make sure the guides are in line. An off-kilter top section will affect casting.

How big is the reel and the reel face (spool diameter)?
If the spool diameter is much larger than the first guide, the line will constantly hit the guide as it coils off of the spool, greatly reducing your casting distance. The spool and first guide should be close in size, and the line will shoot off of the spool with no problems.

How long in the leader?
If the leader is long, it could be coiling off of the guides causing friction and decreasing casting distance.

How heavy of a lure are you casting?
As Puppet stated, if you are throwing a lighter lure that the rod specifications, you won't be getting much distance without throwing out your back, shoulder or arms in short order.

Lastly, (nothing personal) have you practiced casting with this rod beforehand? Whenever I buying a new rod, be it freshwater or salt, I testing how it feels just using the rod by itself. If you aren't comfortable doing that in the store (trust me, it will save you the aggrevation later on) you won't be comfortable doing it loaded with reel, line and lure when you are out on the water.

Remember that every rod and reel setup is going to cast differently based on how you use it and where you use it.
(picture going from casting a 2-4 oz. lure in the surf to tossing a half oz. rubber frog in freshwater)

Hope you find the right balance of rod, reel and line.

Iwannakeeper
07-29-2013, 11:03 AM
I fish with braid to a modified albright to a top shot of mono and do not have problems. Your method is not flawed. That doesn't mean that your rig is not causing problems.

to troubleshoot your problem, forget the mono all together. I would tie a lead sinker of the right weight (pick the middle of the rod's load rating) to the braid and go to practice. Follow all of the advice on the thread.

Maybe find someone to work with you. I'd volunteer to go out fishing with you, but its a bit of a drive. http://goo.gl/maps/qq20E

puppet
07-29-2013, 11:22 AM
I do not know many forums on the west coast, but I am a member of
www.scsurffishing.com from the days I lived out there. There are
some guys who post there who probably live in your vicinity....

Great bunch of guys....

Iwannakeeper
07-29-2013, 11:28 AM
My main forum site is bloodydecks.com or the forums are bdoutdoors.com

I also go to ifish

good group of fishing guys out here too. Got to out of Neah Bay this spring for Halibut, Lingcod, Cabezon, pacfic cod, salmon

now its time for albacore. I am heading to Westport WA for the Washington Tuna Classic next weekend.....and Garibaldi OR for the Oregon Tuna Classic in a couple weeks.

and in the mean time its Salmon Season and crabbing.....

I do miss striper fishing and regret never getting out after big tuna. But I am hoping to get back there end of Aug maybe September to get some East Coast fishing in.

WCWes
07-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Really helpful guys thanks. I think I'm going to go out tommorow and try catching some land fish and just practice. By the way my rod is rated for 2-4 oz. I think as fisherman Tim stated with the spool size to first guide my be a little big on the spool size. After I try everything else I might just go for a smaller reel.

Iwannakeeper
07-29-2013, 12:44 PM
What were you throwing for lures?

ThrowingTimber
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
From shore. A basic rule to follow for distance is that you want the knot for your running line (braid) to your leader knot (mono or flouro shocker) to remain outside of your guides and off your spool.

Try: ( your runnning line)65# micro swivel -> 3 foot length of mono or flouro -> whichever snap or swivel you prefer to attach your leader. * lure

If that doesn't help. Attach your lure. Let out 3-4 feet of line. Close the bail and spin in circles where other fishermen can see you. *someone will hopefully stop laughing long enough to show you how to cast. (The latter was response to shamelessly stolen from another board and a poster much more clever than I could ever hope to be, comedic credit goes to them)

WCWes
07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm proud to say that I was throwing some poppers I made which were 2 and 3 oz at this point ill get back to you guys after I rig up the swivel and what not.

WCWes
07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Can somebody give me a link to the est suited swivels

MAKAI
07-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Ditch the braid and practice w something like 17# mono. When you get the hang of it go w about 40 or 50# braid. No need for shock leader. Just a swivel and about 3' of 30 or 40# leader ought to suffice for most applications
An 11' rod and 20# braid, you're just gonna get your finger sliced up.

piemma
07-30-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm proud to say that I was throwing some poppers I made which were 2 and 3 oz at this point ill get back to you guys after I rig up the swivel and what not.
I don't know where you live but if you are fishing the canal go to M&D's and Mike will help you. Or go to Cape Cod Charlies and Tony or Gary or Mike will set you up.

Rockport24
07-30-2013, 01:12 PM
I think he said he is on the west coat surfcasting for stripers? Didn't even know that was a thing!

piemma
07-30-2013, 01:49 PM
I think he said he is on the west coat surfcasting for stripers? Didn't even know that was a thing!

Yes there is!. I was in San Fran on business all last week and one of my inside sales guys is a very avid surfcaster for Stripers in San Fran. They go up in the bay toward the Delta (inland) He tells me a 30# fish is considered to be a real trophy.

lamigsb1
07-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Stripers were brought out by train many years ago. They pretty much range from Monterey to bodega bay and run up the delta. Around early 2000s a friend of mine pulled a 45 out a a channel near a famous bay area prison.

FishermanTim
07-30-2013, 03:41 PM
They grow a little slower out west due to the constant cold water they live in there. They were indeed sent over by train and took to the Cal. waters like a hound dog to a soup bone.

Stripers can be found in quite a few inland waters as well, as they can survive and thrive in both fresh and salt. (They only need to spawn in [semi]fresh waters.)

piemma
07-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Stripers were brought out by train many years ago. They pretty much range from Monterey to bodega bay and run up the delta. Around early 2000s a friend of mine pulled a 45 out a a channel near a famous bay area prison.

Either Alcatraz or San Quentin. My office is across the street from San Quentin and I take the Ferry from Larkspur to San Fran and go right by Alcatraz.

WCWes
07-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Wow, we'll guys today I went to the park and I was really amazed by how far the sinker I had attached went! As you guys recommended I had a swivel to 3 ft 40# fluorocarbon. I'm actually going to cape cod tommorow! For family so I will be sure too fish a lot there. Thanks guys.

lamigsb1
07-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Either Alcatraz or San Quentin. My office is across the street from San Quentin and I take the Ferry from Larkspur to San Fran and go right by Alcatraz.

I'd keep a canal rod at your office.