View Full Version : RIP Boomer...

afterhours
07-29-2013, 04:07 PM
The Boomer - George Scott, has passed away. For those old enough to see him, the big man could play one sweet first base- those hands....

BigFish
07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
He was one of my favorites...think he still has the record for highest fielding percentage by a 1B for a season??

ProfessorM
07-29-2013, 05:43 PM
just heard on news. RIP George

Slipknot
07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
RIP George :(

sad news
he was only 69 I heard

Rockfish9
07-30-2013, 08:12 AM
He was one of my favorites...think he still has the record for highest fielding percentage by a 1B for a season??

Mine too...

Mike P
07-30-2013, 12:45 PM
He was the best right-handed first baseman I ever saw. It was amazing to watch him turn the 3-6-3 DP. He was amazingly quick for a man his size. Not fleet of foot, but once he got rolling, he was a cement truck rolling downhill. I saw him leg out an inside-the-park HR once.

He was actually a third baseman in the minors and when he first came up. The Sox moved him to first to make room for a certain phenom at third named Joe Foy. Foy was the kind of third sacker that would make an amazing stop, and then throw the ball 5 rows deep into the first base stands. :D

Boomer did save him a few points on his fielding percentage, but his career was short-lived. I think he hung on for a few years afterwards in the NL.

Ed B
08-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Bill Lee said the best third baseman he ever saw was George Scott, and after they moved him over to first, well that became history with his eight gold gloves. He could get into some batting slumps with that big swing of his but with his easy going personality and phenominal fielding skills you couldn't help but like the guy. Every time I see #5 on the back of a Sox uniform I always think of Scotty.

Remember those rubber sweat suits he used to wear every spring training trying to loose weight?

Mike P
08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
He also decided to eat salads after games to lose weight.

The problem was that he'd eat a whole mixing bowl of salad with a whole bottle of dressing on it. :rotf2: