View Full Version : Did this site ever have reports?

Rockport24
07-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Meaning, did people post reports regularly? I've been around a while and I don't remember much. I ask because I think that's part of the reason why this site has such a long running group of regulars that get along fairly well. I'm beginning to think that type of thing starts to tear sites/people apart over time... thoughts?

piemma
07-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Back a few maybe 6 or 7 years ago there was a rash of spot burning and posting of sites and fish. There were some historic "flame wars". I admit to being part of some of that stuff back then. It stopped once everyone realized there was nothing being gained except a lot of hard feelings.

Rockport24
07-30-2013, 04:15 PM
by the way, I am in no way trying to bring back any past problems on this site! Just asking cause I feel like this is one of the few that isn't dependent on reports to keep things interesting...

nightfighter
07-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah, the spot burn wars had its victims and culprits.... But I have recently been concerned when signing in and hitting the New Posts bar... The majority of threads are not fishing related at all. I for one would welcome more fishing threads and posts. Keep it general as to locations is a good thing. But more reports as to what you are using, What's working. Plug fish. Livelining. Squiding. Anything as long as more fishing related..... Just my opinion.

niko
07-30-2013, 04:43 PM
I wish there were more reports and fishpix

Sea Dangles
07-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Chatham en fuego
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

fishbones
07-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Chatham en fuego

Yup. Vehicles with trailers parked a half mile from the ramp and fish trucks that are so full they have to unload fish because they're too heavy to move. Hope they're enjoying it while it lasts.

ProfessorM
07-30-2013, 05:44 PM
PM's are for reports

RickBomba
07-30-2013, 06:03 PM
I don't remember reports. I do remember Bassmaster giving me a hard time about using herring. Maybe that was a report.

I also remember Patrick saying something about wanting to fish for tuna from shore on Block. That was an outlandish wish...not really a report.

Mikey and I posted a vacation thread. It was kind of like a report.

I don't remember anyone getting mad at me personally, but I used to fish from a boat a lot in the beginning.

Please send me all your hot spots. I deserve a report!

Love,
Rick

Guppy
07-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Yup. Vehicles with trailers parked a half mile from the ramp and fish trucks that are so full they have to unload fish because they're too heavy to move. Hope they're enjoying it while it lasts.

Lot just about full at Smugglers this am,,, zoo

Guppy
07-30-2013, 06:25 PM
PM's are for reports

They are? I'm in. :devil2:

wdmso
07-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Reports are dead as are photos it seems your a spot burner for being kind enough to help your fellow fishermen ,, and picture post's seem to be dragged down the you should have let it go or you kept to many
or I bet it all got wasted .. and its not Just on this site it's on all of them .
Chatham was dead .. ask the 100 boats who were spot burning with the guys with the electric reels ( 1st time there was surprised to see that) but did see a seal eating a Skate

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-30-2013, 07:12 PM
They are? I'm in. :devil2:

Ok your all set. Pm me your reports please. Lol

Rappin Mikey
07-30-2013, 07:29 PM
I tend to only post Spring pics now. To get the spirit going. Other than that. Fresh water or ice fishing. That doesn't seem to get people too mad.

Rappin Mikey
07-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Here are a few large mouth from this week.

ivanputski
07-30-2013, 07:46 PM
if you post a public report, you cant complain about 15 guys crowding your spot the next night...

Rappin Mikey
07-30-2013, 07:50 PM
I hope I don't end up with toe jam.

Rockfish9
07-31-2013, 06:11 AM
I wish there were more reports and fishpix

Both only seem to cause trouble...reports bring out the "spot burn" cat calls... pics. bring out the "photo shop" nay sayers...IMHO... neither are worth it...I like it quiet...

spinncognito
07-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Yeah, the spot burn wars had its victims and culprits.... But I have recently been concerned when signing in and hitting the New Posts bar... The majority of threads are not fishing related at all. I for one would welcome more fishing threads and posts. Keep it general as to locations is a good thing. But more reports as to what you are using, What's working. Plug fish. Livelining. Squiding. Anything as long as more fishing related..... Just my opinion.

X2

bart
07-31-2013, 07:54 AM
I think what happens with reports is that everyone who's on this site comes to know the general areas others fish even if they've never met. So when a pic pops up, anyone with a half of a brain and absolutely no shame whatsoever can and will decifer where the fish might've been caught and then jump said spot without any invitation, permission. Seen it play out time and time again. When I see pics on the book I'm just happy my friends got into good fish and had a good time. I like my spots and live and mostly die by them so you won't see me moving around much.not so obvious Pics really aren't the problem. Its people who jump spots based on pics' complete lack of respect for others who've found fish or are fishing the area regularly that are the problem.

JohnR
07-31-2013, 08:30 AM
I was once fishing a honey hole with my friend Greg when someone was in my spot. Being "nice" I started a chat with the guy, from PA, who was vacationing up in Boston area and heard about the spot on SOL.

I was fishing Ballstons, had a good night, posted it and the next night the place was swamped. It was just my report but other reports.

Some places cannot handle be burned in reports - especially those that are tenuously accessible at best / private property / anti-fishing neighbors, etc.

More important than the arguing is that I don't want this site to be responsible for the loss of fishing access.

Rockfish9
07-31-2013, 08:37 AM
I was once fishing a honey hole with my friend Greg when someone was in my spot. Being "nice" I started a chat with the guy, from PA, who was vacationing up in Boston area and heard about the spot on SOL.

I was fishing Ballstons, had a good night, posted it and the next night the place was swamped. It was just my report but other reports.

Some places cannot handle be burned in reports - especially those that are tenuously accessible at best / private property / anti-fishing neighbors, etc.

More important than the arguing is that I don't want this site to be responsible for the loss of fishing access.

We've all been there... not to the spot.. the result... as others have said the PM line works well...

personaly, the way the site is run is why I come here...

Rockport24
07-31-2013, 08:39 AM
We've all been there... not to the spot.. the result... as others have said the PM line works well...

personaly, the way the site is run is why I come here...

absolutely agree, which is why I brought it up. I feel like some other sites are 100% report and if not enough, people get antsy and don't post anymore. I also feel like its a breeding ground for "internet heros" and quite frankly gets old. I struggle with it though because I also like to see pics and know generally what's working like Ross mentioned.

tlapinski
07-31-2013, 08:52 AM
I think what happens with reports is that everyone who's on this site comes to know the general areas others fish even if they've never met. So when a pic pops up, anyone with a half of a brain and absolutely no shame whatsoever can and will decifer where the fish might've been caught and then jump said spot without any invitation, permission. Seen it play out time and time again. When I see pics on the book I'm just happy my friends got into good fish and had a good time. I like my spots and live and mostly die by them so you won't see me moving around much.not so obvious Pics really aren't the problem. Its people who jump spots based on pics' complete lack of respect for others who've found fish or are fishing the area regularly that are the problem.

BINGO! I have been burned by this before (somewhat my own fault) and it has changed how I talk about my successes and failures as well as which pictures I post and how I take pictures in the first place. One thing I find funny along these lines is when, for example, I catch a good fish and post a pic somewhere and 10 guys show up at the spot they just know I fish regularly. Much like fish have fins and can move, I too have a vehicle and can travel from spot to spot. While I thoroughly enjoy reading other people's reports and often times have a rough idea of where their fish were caught, half of the fun is tracking down my own fishing and/or doing so when others say the fishing sucks.

The Dad Fisherman
07-31-2013, 09:17 AM
The majority of threads are not fishing related at all.

The problem is everytime you post something, somebody gets their Panties in a Wad.

If you post Reports - you get "You're Spot Burning" and then the Flame wars start.

If you post Pictures - Your spot burning, or you're not holding the fish the right way, or your chastised for posting nothing but "Pics of Dead Fish"

You get chastised for not using the right Equipment - Either your not giving the fish a fighting chance or you're not bringing the fish in quick enough. :huh:

If you use "J" hooks you're a fish killer, if you use Trebles you're a fish killer, if you don't crush your barbs you're a fish killer.

If you talk about a "40" you kept you are responsible for killing a breeder.
If you keep a 28" fish then people start arguing that the minmum should be 1 at 36"

.....And you wonder why people aren't talking about fishing as much around here

N.ShoreFisher
07-31-2013, 09:52 AM
I just want to fish....and meet up to fish with others. That's all. Oh, and I never learned to read, so the pics are nice. lol

fishbones
07-31-2013, 11:35 AM
The problem is everytime you post something, somebody gets their Panties in a Wad.

If you post Reports - you get "You're Spot Burning" and then the Flame wars start.

If you post Pictures - Your spot burning, or you're not holding the fish the right way, or your chastised for posting nothing but "Pics of Dead Fish"

You get chastised for not using the right Equipment - Either your not giving the fish a fighting chance or you're not bringing the fish in quick enough. :huh:

If you use "J" hooks you're a fish killer, if you use Trebles you're a fish killer, if you don't crush your barbs you're a fish killer.

If you talk about a "40" you kept you are responsible for killing a breeder.
If you keep a 28" fish then people start arguing that the minmum should be 1 at 36"

.....And you wonder why people aren't talking about fishing as much around here

^
Exactly

BigFish
07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
The Dad Fisherman is spot on! I thought we were fisherMEN......not fisherPUSSIES???!!!!:devil2:

PS-Caught fish from a BOAT today (YES A BOAT) and it was on a body of water near a major US city which happens to be "Strong"!:rotf2:

Slipknot
07-31-2013, 08:14 PM
I also remember Patrick saying something about wanting to fish for tuna from shore on Block. That was an outlandish wish...not really a report.

Love,
Rick

actually Rick, it was the canal not Block, and it was hilarious

and I also remember bassmaster scolding you about herring(he used to be a herring in a past life you know)

Guppy
08-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Geeeee's,, who leaked this spot? (zoo ?)