View Full Version : Favorite kind of charcoal

JackK
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Other thread got me thinking-

What's your favorite brand of charcoal? I have some random lump that I got from BJs- burns very hot but way too quick for my liking. I've used to Cowboy stuff in the past which was OK, but that was more due to the fact that it was easy to get at SnS...

Anything out there that's better? What's your source?

The Dad Fisherman
08-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Cowboy Charcoal if your grilling.....

If your Smoking or Doing the Dutch Oven thing....seriously.....Sam's Choice Charcoal is the best. They sell it at Wal-mart.

Briquettes are bigger and burn longer than Kingsford....its all I use when firing up the dutch ovens

Fly Rod
08-05-2013, 02:02 PM
tried the Cowboy.....Kingford too ...C no difference....Kingford 9 bucks

The Dad Fisherman
08-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Cowboy burns Hotter and burns out faster....good for searing meats. Not good for sustained heat

zacs
08-05-2013, 02:37 PM
i don't like cowboy. i find gigantic lumps that are a pain to deal with. i like royal oak. i like to throw a chunk or two of hickory on the coals too, to get some real good smoke flavor going. i bought huge 50 lb ripped bag of hickory chunks at HD a couple of years ago for $1.99, I only use one or two lumps per grill session, so it lasts.

Fly Rod
08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Cowboy burns Hotter and burns out faster....good for searing meats. Not good for sustained heat

Okay....use Kingford in my Ugly Smoker of which I do get a long burn depending on how many briquets I use

Raven
08-05-2013, 04:07 PM
i like bricket's if they are started with
wood
cook fuel
so no charcoal starter is used...
i no longer buy it

basswipe
08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
100% natural lump,otherwise wood.

I generally don't like briquets regardless but if you want a comparison of what burns hotter and longer.....Stubbs wins.

Raven
08-06-2013, 06:06 AM
haven't used stubbs yet....

i'll give it a try..... where is is sold?

JamesJet
08-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I use wicked good lump charcoal, the big chunks I separate out to a separate bag for the smoker. Cowboy is full of old fencepost (who knows If pressure treated), rocks etc and I won't use it anymore. The wglc is not cheap but I did get a bunch off a pallate at ocean state early in the year. In terms of brickets I use kingsford, but for no reason over another really. Of course my grill and smoker have no idea what lighter fluid is, only the chimmney or somtimes I use the kicker flame that came on my weber performer. Believe it or not the chimney and newspaper works better.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JackK
08-06-2013, 08:16 AM
I will search for Wicked Good and Royal Oak. Thanks. Should have said I only use lump charcoal. :drevil:

Zac where do you find the royal oak?

JackK
08-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Amazing how much info there is out there on this.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Sea Dangles
08-06-2013, 12:29 PM
wicked good

Slingah
08-06-2013, 05:08 PM
I use Humphrey's.....I get it at Williams Coal & Oil

Slingah
08-06-2013, 05:22 PM
I knew that review site looked familiar...:uhuh:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=64996&highlight=charcoal

Steve K
08-07-2013, 01:55 PM

Completely agree. I love grilling porterhouse and strip steaks with it. You can get a nice crust.

zacs
08-09-2013, 11:52 AM
i was at a foodie type deal on tuesday, and Al Forno was there and they were grilling squid over Natures Own. They said it is all they use, even for their world famous grilled pizza. so I will have to track some of that down. they suggested a hardware store in Providence, but like a fool i didn't write it down.

I buy the royal oak at HD.

Sea Dangles
08-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Whole foods caries it, better burn than cowboy IMO.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device