View Full Version : reccomended fish finders?

Surfcastinglife
08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I just purchased an entry level kayak that I would like to outfit with a reliable fish finder...something basic that is easy to use as this is my first yak and I have never used a fish finder. any suggestions?

Rockport24
08-06-2013, 01:40 PM
If you want to go low-end, there are bunch in the $100 range that will suit your needs just fine. Basic sonar only units, you could spend a little more and get color.

If you want to spend more and get a built in gps, I love my Humminbird 385ci.

The Dad Fisherman
08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I've been looking at the Lowrance Elite series for mine

Rockport24
08-06-2013, 02:20 PM
yeah those look pretty nice and they have a scupper-mounted transducer option that looks cool too. anybody actually using this set up?

jonserfish
08-06-2013, 03:19 PM
I have the elite mark 4.(gray scale)and I love it. I believe the 5 is color and not much different besides that. my favorite option is if you saw fish and didn't mark when you drifted over you can scroll back through the history to the fish and mark a new way point and track them back down. at first I would follow my track but realized I could cut out the entire route and head back on top of them by scrolling back in sonar mode.. as far as the sensitivity you can watch your bait, jigs, pogie, etc... . if you ice fish it has a flasher mode. yes frost proof (supposedly). thinking about picking up a short transducer cord and hooking this up to my sled for the winter. for the money i think it as a great buy. they do have the scupper mounted trans but i opted to mount though hull as to avoid any possible stupid human tricks that might break it.

wdmso
08-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Humminbird PiranhaMAX Fishfinder 70.00 bucks at wallymart I have one on my kayak runs off a small fire alarm battery transducer is in the hull kept in place with electrical putty. this unit does a great job of showing structure .biggest bang for you buck

SamSmith
08-15-2013, 08:18 AM
The Garmin echo series are nice and inexpensive. But you can't go wrong with humminbird.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device