View Full Version : Rod holder (PVC)

Ian
08-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Slacked in getting myself a section of PVC for the bike before heading up here for the week. Anyone have some suggestions on where to get a section I can zip tie to my rack?

iamskippy
08-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Ian i have some, what are you looking for?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Ian
08-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Let me take some measurements. Used a makeshift rod holding system today which had mixed results...

Matt D
08-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Home Depot has short (2' I think) sections fairly cheap. Get a couple hose clamps per, zip ties will fail eventually and it might cost you a rod. Make sure you get a large enough diameter pipe to fit your rod butt. Some of mine fit a 1 1/2 pipe, a couple others need 2". So I used a couple of both. A rubber drain coupler makes a nice stem protector for the top of the pipe. You can get 2 protectors out of one coupler, just cut it in 1/2. Comes with hoseclamps too.

iamskippy
08-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Shoot me a txt ian see what can do for u

ThrowingTimber
08-13-2013, 08:40 AM
When mounting make sure the butt section of your rods doesn't touch the ground. If for some reason you have to mount your tubes low. You can just drill through the tube and run a zip tie in there to use as a stopper.

If the inner diameter of your PVC will accept it, you can slide in one of those inexpensive plastic rod holders. That way it will hold the rod for you, and you can slide it out and use to secure your rod in the rip rap without having to worry about the eventual tipping over

Make sure your rods are up in a vertical position and not splayed out like a set of outriggers. Vertical is preferred over splayed out because if you go near someone to say hi or shake hands etc, your splayed out rods will tangle up with the rods on their bike. Thus vertical is preferred instead of the peacock spread.

tysdad115
08-13-2013, 08:43 AM

Make sure your rods are up in a vertical position and not splayed out like a set of outriggers. Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

This is the most important thing , rooster tails lead to broken gear. Straight up and down is a neccessity.