View Full Version : Chum Grinder

Fish On
06-17-2003, 10:46 AM
Just bought a new chest freezer for bait and chum. Now I need a good fish grinder to grind up all that chum to freeze. Can anyone recommend a good fish grinder and where to purchase?

nightfighter
06-17-2003, 11:47 AM
yard sale material

Van
06-17-2003, 12:18 PM
www.sausagemaker.com (http://www.sausagemaker.com)

Fly Rod
06-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Just purchased one. a few of my friends bought them last year and said they work great. Stay away from yard sales they don't have the type you need I have two old ones in my garage and they bind more then you can grind.

Anyway Fishermens Outfitter 1-978-281-0858 in Gloucester Mass. has them. they come with a stand that fits into your rod holder. Price about $229.00 well worth it. Grinds whole fish just add a little water once in awhile.

Van
06-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Does the grinder plate have big holes ?

I have both 3/8" plate holes and 1/2" plates on my power grinder.
Helps alot when grinding whole fish.

Tip....Keep the plate and cutting blade free from corrosion, or you will lose cutting efficiency real fast and it will clog all the time. I grind at home so there is no salt water around, then I clean and oil the plate and blade after use.

Good Luck...

Fly Rod
06-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Yes the grinder does have big holes about 3/8 My friends use them on there boat and haven't had any rusting. I agree about keeping the blade from rusting even tho I haven't heard any complaints and they chum bait by the tote most every day. Up until now I have been using my wifes kitchen chopper.Works pretty good.

AveMariaCharters
06-18-2003, 09:59 AM
FOR SALE
USED #32 CHUM GRINDER WITH TRAY AND ROD MOUNT IN GOOD SHAPE
I BOUGHT IT COUPLE YEARS FRON BASS PRO SHOP FOR $270.00+ SHIPPING. I WILL SELL FOR $150.00.
CHECK OUT THE LINK FOR PICTURE AND INFO.
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servle...arTarget=search

Fish On
06-18-2003, 03:35 PM
My budget for a grinder is only $100 unfortunately. If there's nothing wrong with it I'll go that high.

AveMariaCharters
06-18-2003, 07:29 PM
the best i can do is $130.00 firm and it's in good shape

Fly Rod
06-18-2003, 07:46 PM
How big are the cutting holes ?????

Why are you getting read of it????

Fish On
06-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Where are you located? Can I come and check it out? Maybe my girlfriend will give me the extra $30 to get me grinding away from the house.

Mr. Sandman
06-19-2003, 06:19 AM
The #32 is the one you want. The rod mounted boat tray is needed if you plan to do it on board. I got mine off E-bay (chum grinder with a few accessories but no rod holder mount) for 70 bucks new. (they always seem to be there) These are pretty heavy duty units and it is possible to motorize them. Van has a nice rig and can generate a can of chum in no time. Tony Soprano's men use a similar rig.
I have all the parts now to motorize but have not hooked them all up. You need a motor and a reduction gear and a coupling, then you need a rig to build it upon. There is a thread with a few pictures somewhere...it might be in the classifieds.

Van
06-19-2003, 06:56 AM
Jim,

I ground about 120 pounds of mack, herring, pogie and pollack for me and my buddy in about 2 hrs. That bad boy works great, didn't even groan. We made up about 20 1 gal bags of muck.

I also added a switch to reverse the direction of the motor, sometimes when skin gets wrapped up around the auger in there, it brings it back out. Then I put more fish in with it switch to forward and bye bye !!!

I did post some picks of the power grinder a while back, but I don't know where they would be now.

AveMariaCharters
06-19-2003, 01:02 PM
FLY ROD
THE HOLES ARE 3/8 AND I DON'T USED ANY MORE

FISH ON
YES YOU CAN SEE IT AND I'M IN BRAINTREE MASS

Fish On
06-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Sorry I would have come down to see it but I came across another today more in my price range and made the purchase. Perhaps there are other "chummers to be" looking for a grinder. It sounds like a very nice one.