View Full Version : MBTA Patriots train

Dick Durand
08-17-2013, 11:49 AM
On Friday I decided to take the train from Providence at 6:35 to Gillette Stadium for the preseason game against Tampa Bay. The posted time of arrival at Gillette was 7:40; which was fine given game time at 8. However, the train crawled through Mass ariving at the stadium at 7:59. Following the walk across the lot, the jam at security, and the trek to our seats, Brady had already completed his first 11 passes and was off the field for the night. Train service better improve before the regular season starts.

BigFish
08-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Or get there earlier? 90 minutes is cutting it close?

Dick Durand
08-18-2013, 07:48 AM
This is a train, activated at TF Green Airport in Warwick, RI., designed to provide transportation to Gillette Stadium exclusively. There's another that arrives from Boston. Each makes a few brief stops along the way to pick up passengers. In any event, its sole purpose is to get fans to the game on time.

Saltheart
08-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Hopefully they learned something from the first home game. I would call and let them know you were late. The more complaints the more likely they will schedule the train earlier.

Mike P
08-18-2013, 08:05 PM
It's a special train, and Amtrak and the regularly scheduled MBTA commuter trains get track priority, in all likelihood. I understand that it operates much better for Sunday games, when there isn't as much conflicting track usage. My sister has been taking it to games from South Attleboro for quite a few years.

The Dad Fisherman
08-19-2013, 05:29 AM
20 minutes...not that big of a deal.

BigFish
08-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Or you could just hold to your plan...hoping they do a better job.....or just get a 30 minute earlier start? Me personally....I like to hedge my bets and get an early start so I know I am there on time? Just sayin'!:)

FishermanTim
08-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Keep in mind that these trains are specifically slated for the Ballgame crowd. What that means is that you getting a train 30 minutes earlier may not happen, as the trains may have to wait before leaving.

I would see if they have trains that leave at earlier intervals so you could plan when you NEED to be there to get the train.

Strill, I'm sure it beats having to pay for parking and the fustercluck of traffic leaving the game?

Mike P
08-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I think they only run one train from each direction--one from Boston, one from RI.

As I said, I would guess that Friday's delay was caused by other trains ahead of the stadium run.

Dick Durand
08-19-2013, 02:36 PM
I think they only run one train from each direction--one from Boston, one from RI.

As I said, I would guess that Friday's delay was caused by other trains ahead of the stadium run.

You're right, Mike, there are only two trains, one from the north and one from the south. Admittedly, Amtrack flew by us at one point. On the other hand the train seemed to be going most slowly on the latter part of the trip on tracks used exclusively to get to Gillette, as the trains stay right where they stop behind the stadium until making the return trip. Really, I've gotten over it, and I'm sure it was merely an aberration.

Raven
08-19-2013, 08:57 PM
you need to stand on the roof surfin the train
with a patriots banner flappin in the wind...

that'll make it go faster :uhuh:

fishbones
08-19-2013, 09:46 PM
I took my son on the Edaville Railroad train at Christmas a couple years ago. It was very scenic and my son thought it was pretty cool. I brought my flask with me.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device