View Full Version : Shift change

nightfighter
08-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Been going out in the evening this week. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights were great! Got macks, though only two on Wednesday, but they got some sizable fish, quickly. Nine macks last night got ten fish. Hour and a half to get macks. Fishing was done in twenty minutes...... This morning, nine macs, couldn't find the stripers.:smash: Same tide.... Going to be fishing nights for a while and get stuff done at home in the mornings...

yj1990
08-17-2013, 04:15 PM
macks were spotty got about 8 this am and no fish outside, moved into salem one fish and a couple chases. think its a night bite to

N.ShoreFisher
08-18-2013, 03:18 PM
oooohhhh, let me know. I'll head out at night if you want company. The night time is the right time for my fishing!!

nightfighter
08-19-2013, 07:02 AM
macks were spotty got about 8 this am and no fish outside, moved into salem one fish and a couple chases. think its a night bite to

Definitely a night bite.... You have to get off the Salem Harbor highway and work tight in the rocks and bowls with moving water. Local reports yesterday back up my decision to skip the dawn patrol, as beautiful as it was.... Nice to be able to fish favorite honey holes again without being seen.....

oooohhhh, let me know. I'll head out at night if you want company. The night time is the right time for my fishing!!

Call me. I leave the dock around 5:30pm to spend a couple hours making bait outside. I know that doesn't work with your work schedule or the kids, but that is when it is on.

spinncognito
08-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Been going out in the evening this week. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights were great! Got macks, though only two on Wednesday, but they got some sizable fish, quickly. Nine macks last night got ten fish. Hour and a half to get macks. Fishing was done in twenty minutes...... This morning, nine macs, couldn't find the stripers.:smash: Same tide.... Going to be fishing nights for a while and get stuff done at home in the mornings...

Well Ross, I guess if you live up to your s-b screen name, you find fish. Perhaps I should just disguise myself, blend into my surroundings and then maybe I will happen into a nice fish or two.... :hidin:

nightfighter
08-19-2013, 07:12 AM
I have been an early morning, sunrise disciple for a few seasons. Nothing like sunrise on the water. And it is always easier in improving light conditions. But it has not been as productive. I definitely believe that fish feed more aggressively at night, and that the bigger fish come in tight during those hours as well.

spinncognito
08-19-2013, 08:08 AM
I prefer to see that topwater plug get smashed so I seldom fish in the dead of night but do fish the very last 1/2 hour of dark into false dawn regularly. It really is not about it being easier for me but more about the visual experience, the concentration on that lure and the anticipation of it getting slammed. Much of that is lost when I fish at night, for me anyway. Probably why I do not catch too many truly large fish.

Rockfish9
08-19-2013, 08:28 AM
I have been an early morning, sunrise disciple for a few seasons. Nothing like sunrise on the water. And it is always easier in improving light conditions. But it has not been as productive. I definitely believe that fish feed more aggressively at night, and that the bigger fish come in tight during those hours as well.

Sunrise is magical but ... when it comes to trophy hunting.... nights win it hands down ( for me)... my best fish are always in less then 5' of water... most are in under 3'...I only make a half dozen day light bass trip a year... I'm always dissapointed with the day light size...besides, I like the coolness of the night.. i cant stand the sun..or the crowds...

eelskimmer
08-19-2013, 11:11 AM
that there are people who still want day lite, top water
fish over biggies. Biggies are caught at night. Period,
end of story! You want day lite biggies, hire a charter.
And believe me there is as much beauty and mystery
about a night on the beach as at dawn. Further, if
you fish with a good partner there is a bond that
forms at night that is missing during the day. I speak
only the truth on these matters.

Rockport24
08-19-2013, 12:17 PM
I've been of the same mindset on the sunrise shift for a few seasons as well, it just works better for my schedule as well, but I'm sure I have been sacrificing big fish to do it. Plus, I do a lot of my fishing alone in the kayak, not necessarily a safe thing to do at night.
I think some night trips are in my future though...

The Dad Fisherman
08-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Plus, I do a lot of my fishing alone in the kayak, not necessarily a safe thing to do at night.
I think some night trips are in my future though...

Hey I keep bugging you to go out at night, Night time is the right time :hee:

and I know that as soon as you posted that, you knew I was gonna bust your chops

Rockport24
08-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah that's why I said some are in my future! :D The other thing is I think the dusk time can be good as well, but its almost impossible for me to get out then with family obligations.. so it's either sunrise or like 10pm...

The Dad Fisherman
08-19-2013, 02:36 PM
So 10 PM it is...:hee:

Rockfish9
08-20-2013, 06:35 AM
So 10 PM it is...:hee:

nothing wrong with going out at 10 and sandwiching 3 or so hours of fishing in... do it all the time... sometimes splitting sleep to fish a portion of the tide I know is hot... I like the 2 AM to day break and straight to work shift as well

The Dad Fisherman
08-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Where I use to work I used to love the 3AM and straight to work shift. Used to shower at work, make some coffee and hit the desk.

Now my perferred is dusk til zero dark thirty.....

piemma
08-20-2013, 07:47 AM
Sunrise is magical but ... when it comes to trophy hunting.... nights win it hands down ( for me)... my best fish are always in less then 5' of water... most are in under 3'...I only make a half dozen day light bass trip a year... I'm always dissapointed with the day light size...besides, I like the coolness of the night.. i cant stand the sun..or the crowds...

Ditto. When I was in the surf with RIRockhound his parents thought we were vampires.