View Full Version : Would you rather fish...

MountainBreeze
06-17-2003, 01:34 PM
a "good tide" in the middle of the day or a "bad tide" at sunrise/sunset???

What I'm getting at is... if I want to fish a spot that I don't know much about, and can only get out real early, and the tide may not be best for that spot, should I go or wait until I can catch a good tide?

I am thinking I should go because I'm sure not going to catch any fish if I don't! But, looking for opinions.

Thanks!

pops02
06-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Thats a good question. For me, that would be a seasonal thing. in the spring time, i would fish the good tide, in the middle of the summer, i would fish sun rise, and sunset.

tlapinski
06-17-2003, 01:42 PM
rob, it depends on a lot of things. being there at a good tide during the day could be good if there isn't alot of boat traffic or if the water is deep or if there is enough bait around to make the fish not care that the sun is out or any of a million other variables. i wouldn't pass up ANY chance to put some time on the water.

Clammer
06-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Good tide anytime

Saturday I didn,t even leave the house til 9am , I was waiting for the change===============it changed as I got in the boat & I had fish In 5 minutes, lasted about ! hour then the boat traffic had them move off/////////////// .02

Scotch Bonnet
06-17-2003, 06:25 PM
I'll never forget the nice July day at the beach quite a few years ago. Horseneck Beach, noon, low tide and BIG bass feeding in the shallow water. Scared all the swimmers out of the water. So I say go when you can - cause you never know.

Goose
06-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Being that ya don't know the spot I would take sunrise or set over the tide. I can think of a few spots where lows have produced better then highs. Like their sayin never pass up oppertunity.

nightfighter
06-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Sunrise or set, mainly cause the tides ain't right for me THIS week and something called work is keeping me from fishing the good tides.......

Nauti Buoy
06-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Go whenever you can. Every trip, regardless of the outcome is a trip that you learned something more about the fish and yourself. Go for it! ;)

Tagger
06-17-2003, 07:55 PM
I second that go when you can ....I been fishing a spot low tide for years all by myself...day.. night...dusk ...dawn.....residents have even told me HEY! your here the wrong Tide...Ohh ok....thank you..I rarely keep,.so nobody knows the mahem that goes on down there...I always come back empty handed.

Got Stripers
06-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Lately, I fish whenever I can get away, tide means nothing. If it's moving, there are places to catch.

likwid
06-18-2003, 12:07 AM
Having caught fish during every single time of the day, using plugs, swimmers, live bait, dead bait, weighted trebel hooks, on accident, in lobster traps...

Fish whenever you can...

You'll catch fish sooner or later :D

FishermanTim
06-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Go whenever you can.
Remember that even a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!

DRUMCORPFAN
06-18-2003, 01:06 PM
being married with a three year old boy, my fishing is based on time slots not tides. i've had good luck and not so good, however
i do get alot of practice casting and retrieving when im there. i try different retrives speeds, rod action and an assortment of lures to get better. i may not be there for the best tides but i do catch fish and i always learn something, when my boy gets older he will go with me thats when i can choose the right tides and pass on what i've learned to him. so for now i learn as much as i can regardless of the tides.